Shining Force: 6-Men Army Playthrough

On Brothers Mod

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Lobo
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

6-Men Army Playthrough

Post by Lobo »

Based on Domingo's idea, I'm starting a 6-men playthrough and describe here how it goes on.
I'm playing Brothers Mod, which will make beating the game with a short force a whole more challenging.

Here are the rules:

6 characters since battle 1 being:
Cha1: SDMN/HERO
Cha2: Warrior-type (Luke, Gort, Zappa, Jogurt, Guntz, Musashi and Adam)
Cha3: KNT/PLDN
Cha4: Mage-type (Tao, Anri, Domingo and Alef)
Cha5: Healer-type (Lowe, Gong, Khris and Torasu)
Cha6: Archer-type or Flyer (Domingo isn't a flyer, but a floater :blush: )

Hanzou may fill in as Cha2 or Cha4.

I'll decide who are the 6 before each battle, but I don't intend to alternate them.
Once someone gets out of the party for a battle, he's probably definitely out.

Think that's it.
I'll post the battle 1 reults as soon as I can.
SaCred
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: 6-Men Army Playthrough

Post by SaCred »

huh? Oh i see :) I thought you ment you were using different characters in different chapters :D
6 men army i like the name haha. It will be tough since im having a hard time beating the final battle!
Minister - Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway.
Lobo
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Lobo »

Didn't finished the first battle yet. (Damn, it's not easy to play at work! :damnit: )
I'll post what happened so far.

First battle, first challenge.
Max and his five companions advanced smoothly, making a 3+3 formation, with Ken, Luke and Max on the front line.
The enemies found a formation themselves and as neither teams seemed likely to make a move, Luke took a step ahead.
That was the call! The Rune Knight gave the order and the Goblins unleashed the attack with fury. The first one raced aside the dwarf to try his sword against Max. The second one went for Luke himself and double attacked him. The dwarf was hurt hard, but stood at his feet.
It was time to retaliate! Ken was first to recover from the shock and threw a spear to the goblin attacking his leader. The swordsman followed his knight and finished the goblin to the ground.
The other goblins made a move, aproaching. The elven archer, didn't mind them and sent an arrow directly into the goblin in front of Luke. Luke was out of luck. The goblin took the arrow and reacted fast, hitting the dwarf before he could recover form the previous double slash. It was too much for him and Luke fell to the ground.
Being still until then, Tao shouted a word of fury when the dwarf hit the floor and set a blaze of fire against the standing goblin! Standing no more.
Lowe made quick job healing his leader wounds, before Max and Ken finished off another goblin.
The enemies had three straight losses but would not quit. As their fellow dwarves and knight watched from the back, they came in for another assault. Another cut on Max and another double hit, this time on Ken. Unfortunately, the cenataur's defence was too week and he couldn't remain fighting after the wounds. The previous front line was down to Max.
Guardiana would not retreat either! Hans pierced a goblin and Tao burnt him down. Max killed another one before getting hit again. The last goblin went down when the archer shot two arrows in a row. The elf was the first to advance a level and saw his speed rise alone.
Lowe healed Max for the second time, before the four of them would engage the dwarves and the Rune Knight.
SaCred
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by SaCred »

Wow, this sounds epic lol. Your english is pretty good no? :D
How you even playing at work?? Working for Sega haha :D
Forget Hans, hes badddd :(
Is Diane any good?
Minister - Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway.
Lobo
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Lobo »

I have a hyper super S*ny Xperia Play with the MD.emu emulator.
I can play Shining Force the same way everybody else use WhatsApp at work. :)
SaCred
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by SaCred »

aha very nice, i have Iphone5C and it doesn't allow me to play emulated games on it although i can DL SF1 but thats only the vanilla version :)
I wouldn't feel comfortable to play on my phone anyway, bad for eyes, bad for neck :D
Lobo
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Lobo »

Each of the four standing heroes took a deep breath. Did they have the strenght to fight the three remaining foes? The two Dark Dwarves looked sturdy, while the well armed knight, behind them, seemed more than a threat with his long and pointy spear.
The party advanced carefuly. Measuring steps until they had halven the distance. The enemy still. That was when Max called them to regroup. They needed a plan. A desperate one.
It was Tao who took the word. She was tired. She could barely cast a spell. She offered herself to pose as a decoy to atract the enemy out of formation. Max waited for a second, trying to make out a better plan. But he couldn't. He finally gave a nod to the elf-girl.
The mage apprentice reacted quicky. She ran through the field before the confused enemies and shot out red-hot flames right at the knight's legs!
The three foes could not react for a while. Max and Lowe kept watching in terror. Motionless.
But then, the big surprise! Finding bravery out of nowhere, Hans steped ahead to the the mage's backside to shoot an arrow into a Dark Dwarf.
Finaly, the enemy answered. The Rune Knight sent his spear in the air. It landed right on Tao's body. The exhausted mage could fight no more.
Seeing their boss' success, the Dark Dwarvers recovered their senses. They ignored Hans, ran over Tao's body and closed in to chase the swordsman. The knight himself came after them, spear in hand, to strike Max.
The swordsman knew he couldn't stand another hit like that. He looked around. Lowe wasn't ready to do his job. The dwarves either, surprised to see the opponent still standing. What would happen?
All had forgotten Hans. The archer returned to action and shot another arrow. This time right on the knight's back.
It was then that Max realized they could win. The Rune Knight, burnt and pierced, didn't look invincible no more. A perfect blow and he should fall.
Max went for that. He swung his sword high and crashed it against the horseman side.
And so, it was over. The Dark Dwarves vanished as if they had never been there.
The remaining trio could claim the victory. And the gate!

Shining Force - Brothers Mod BR v1.2.001.jpg

BATTLE 1 RESULTS
Casualties: Luke, Ken and Tao
Party: Max L1, Luke L1, Ken L1, Tao L2, Hans L2, Lowe L1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lobo on Wed May 07 2014 4:49pm, edited 2 times in total.
SaCred
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by SaCred »

Hey man, you could be some author of a new SF book! This is a nice read haha.
Blaze casted on the Knight's leg lol, i see the knight didn't go down just yet!! Lowe would definately watch in terror because he is a basic healer with weak attacks!! :)
Wait till he gets the Power Staff then he will be talking :D
Wow Tao got KO'ed, got ran over lol....They ignored Hans because he is harmless with weak attacks and poor accuracy! :)

Hey wheres the image? :P
Lobo
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Lobo »

The image is there now.
I hadn't found how to upload it before. :blush:

Thanks for the compliments. :thumbsup:
I don't think I write very well, especially in english, but I'm trying my best.
SaCred
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by SaCred »

hah Portugese language :D
Eu eu perdi :)
I think the write up is pretty good man, how is the weather where you are? Beach and plenty of sun with nice ladies? :)
Lobo
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Lobo »

It's evening and I'm stuck inside the office. So, no sun.
Though the beach is near, I can't see or smell it by now.
And the nice ladies I have around are the nice ladies at work, so better not to mess with them.
Well...maybe I will. :excited:
SaCred
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by SaCred »

haha okay man :) Brazilian ladies very nice behind :) Plenty at my gym.
Okay so back on topic, will you play a few more before you go? :)
Your write ups are very nice.
Lobo
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Lobo »

I have started the second battle.
Unfortunately, I have no time to finish today and haven't even written what happened so far. :(
I'll update it tomorrow morning, hopefuly.
SaCred
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by SaCred »

no problem men :) I will start my new vanilla game tonight :)

Edit: Just done the first 2 battles and wow. Vanilla version is soooo easy after playing your Mod and Doomblade's :D
The 2nd battle was a little challenging but no problems in the end lol.
The Goblins just stand there even when you are in 2 range away....:)

Good thing is, i can look forward to Max learning Bolt :D he doesn't have it in your mod :)

Edit: Just completed Chapter 1, so far so good :)
Bed time, good night.
Lobo
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Lobo »

Leaving the Gate of the Ancients behind, the party discovered the earthquake had blocked the Road. An army from the enemy had taken the north path, through the mountains, and was attacking Guardiana itself!

Max, Lowe and Hans. Did the trio had the power to take down the whole army? They didn’t feel as they had.
Fortunately, Lowe knew a small village stood nearby. He guided them, through the southeastern mountains, to reach the village. Once there, they healed the wounds and met to distinct figures. A giant monk willing to join them and a giant clairvoyant mole who was very polite.
They could not take more time than needed, and headed back to the mountainside, hoping to strike the enemy and open the way to their town.

Max didn’t feel he could command the giant, so he was left behind. In fact, Max doubted he could command a larger army at all.
High hopes Hans took the front through mountains and trees. He was not the same frightened elf who introduced himself in the morning. Luke was close behind, while Ken, Max, Tao and Lowe seemed to get a little lost in the woods for a while.
They met the enemy on a clearing up north. More goblins!
This time, they felt more confident and well prepared. The goblins fell. One by one. None of the six had more than a few scratches.

They crossed the north path round the foot of the last mountain and were surprised by a few more enemies. A dark dwarf got Luke while a goblin came for Ken. Both held on and the party stroke back. It was a fierce fight. One more dark dwarf and one more goblin ambushed them. The four enemies were defeated with no losses. But this time the party had sustained heavy wounds. Lowe worked hard to minimize the pain, but it was clearly not enough.

They had no option but to press on to Guardiana. More enemies awaited them by the city gates. Two knights. One dwarf. It was six against three. But the three were healthy, while the six were hurt and weary. Tao herself could barely make the trip southwest. Casting a spell was not an option.
They engaged the enemy by the bridge. Ken got the first move, throwing a spear across the river to find the body of a horseman. A wounded Luke came next. The crossed the brigde in fury and thrust his short sword in the knight thigh. It wasn’t enough to take him down. And it was too much for the dwarf. The second Rune knight pierced Luke’s back and he could fight no longer.
Lowe, Tao and Max all made a move but couldn’t attack the enemy. Hans did. Like Ken, he shot an arrow over the river. The arrow found the second Rune Knight.
The enemy stroke back. Ken was badly hurt. Nevertheless, he still found the spirit to throw another spear. The knight was hit for the third time. And still stood!
Victory began to feel distant. Hans shot another arrow. The enemy just refused to go down.
Ken had another chance. Still no. Lowe came to help the knight. He couldn’t remember the words for healing, but he found a curative herb inside one of his bags.
It was just in time! Another spear came through the air and found the refreshed knight. South of the bridge, Hans managed to evade another spear. The archer was great for the second battle in a row.
Max and Tao couldn’t do much in the fight across the river. They considered crossing the bridge but figured they wouldn’t survive much.
Ken’s turn. Another spear thrown. This time for good! The knight fell! They were not invincible!
While Hans and the standing Rune Knight traded hits, the archer being badly wounded, Max was wondering what was happening in town. He felt the time was running out. If they were to help Guardiana, they needed to do it as fast as possible.
He ordered full attack! Tao was first. She crossed the bridge, shouting and swinging the staff until it found the dwarf’s head. The swordsman came next. He came all the way behind Tao and slashed the stoned dwarf. Ken was the third to cross the bridge. He pierced the rival knight.
The Rune Knight gave an evil look to Ken. But he was not stupid. The right thing to do was to attack their leader. He found Max on the field and threw a spear towards him. The spear did his trick. Max pressed hard his sword’s handle. He knew he couldn’t sustain another hit like that.
Hans and Ken proved themselves battle’s most valuable warriors. The elf took the knight down with a well-aimed shot, while the knight hit the dark dwarf who was set to get Max. The dwarf still had his chance, but the hit wasn’t enough to stop the swordsman.
Max could barely breath. He was standing more on his will than on his feet. He knew what he had to do. A balanced strike was enough to kill the last enemy and end the battle.

They entered the town with their leader pushing himself ahead.

screenshot_2014-05-09_2152.jpg

BATTLE 2 RESULTS
Casualties: Luke
Party: Max L3, Luke L2, Ken L3, Tao L3, Hans L3, Lowe L1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lobo on Mon May 12 2014 6:37pm, edited 5 times in total.
SaCred
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by SaCred »

Wow, even has non battle story too :)
Lowe worked hard to minimise the pain haha no sweat at Level 1 :)
Luke got backstabbed by the Knight :D Pierced through the back ouch...Lowe couldnt remember the words for healing :D :D
Tao fell after swinging her staff around too much haha.
Lobo
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Lobo »

I'll try to make another post today.
Been pretty busy lately. :(

EDIT: In fact, Tao didn't die in the last battle. Don't know why I though so.
SaCred
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by SaCred »

No worries man, I been busy too. Work combined with early mornings and only had an hour or 2 for games :)
Lobo
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Lobo »

Guardiana wasn't the same town they had left a while back. It had been partially destroyed by the Runefaust army. Nevertheless, Max saw no sign of the enemy by the streets, so he decided to push forward to the castle.

What's been seen there was beyond imagination. The powerful Kane, a masked general from Runefaust, attacked the castle, killed Sir Varios and the King and stole the city treasure. All by himself!

Before dying, the King asked Max not to let Runefaust fulfil it's plan. Max decided to press forward to Alterone, Kane's likely destiny. He recruited Mae, Varios' daughter and Gort, a veteran dwarf who had fought and drunk much in his life.

Before they could get to Alterone they found the road had been occupied by the enemy. Max could not control Mae's temper. The female centaur rushed the field bringing half the enemy army against her. They got the party unprepared and made short work of them.

Max had to recover himself and his fellow group back at Guardiana and left again to face the enemy. This time he decided he could not command more than five companions. Mae was an obvious leftover. Luke, who had been defeated in each of the previous battles, was out too, with Gort filling in for him.

Even if they were more organized, the enemy was not easy. A horde of dwarves and giant bats surrounded them. Gort did a great job shielding the others, but some enemies managed to leave him behind and attack the rest of the force. Lowe was down soon. Max was wounded. He had a medical herb, with which he found a way to heal himself. But the relief lasted only until the next attacks from the enemy.

Anyway, one by one the bats fell. And so did the dwarves. The five companions had clear road to Alterone. But the city gates were not clear. Five Rune Knights awaited them there. It was five for five, but the odds were against them. Max was badly hurt. Hans too. Tao had been drained out of energy. Even Ken and Gort had some scraps. They needed to try though.

As they neared the town, the knights decided to rush them down. Gort resisted the first drive just fine. The knight was abated by sequenced attacks from Hans, Gort and Ken.

There were four left, and they came strong! One went for Hans and took the elf down. One for Tao. Down too. Another for Ken, who got a spear through his right flank. And the last one for Gort, who endured quite well once again. The old dwarf was incredibly sturdy!

Now the enemies had the advantage. Four against three. And Max and Ken were in the verge of being defeated.

As Max pulled back and Ken was hit to the floor by another spear, Gort became a lonely hope of victory. He was fighting like a monster! Probably recalling his old days, he swung his axe back and forth, dilacerating the enemies legs and bellies. The knights also pierced him several times. But he refused the pain. Two horsemen fell before the berseker dwarf was brought to unconsciousness.

By that time, Max had vanished from the enemies' sight. He had found a track through the northern woods and hoped to find a way to Alterone without drawing attention to himself.

The track covered all the way to the eastern boarder of the forest. The way out was not far from Alterone. The plan could work out in the end. Or maybe not. Unfortunately, the enemy was patroling nearby. As Max was closing the end of the track he was discovered. The Rune Knight came galloping to thrust his spear across the swordsman chest.

Max could no longer fight...

screenshot_2014-05-12_1407.jpg

BATTLE 3 RESULTS
Casualties: Max, Ken, Gort, Tao, Lowe and Hans
Party: Max L4, Ken L4, Gort L6, Tao L4, Lowe L1 and Hans L4
SaCred
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by SaCred »

a veteran dwarf who had fought and drunk much in his life. Haha
Hehe Mae rushing forward :) you make it sound like a movie, i like!

Damn did Max get defeated or did he Egress? :) Max foi derrotado hehe.

I bet when you are typing all this, you must be all pumped up after every action :D