Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

darkwolf777's (aka katgirlfeli's) SF Mod Release Thread

Current Version: 1.20 Date: 7/15/2014

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: darkwolf777's (aka katgirlfeli's) SF Mod Release Thread

Postby SaCred » Sun Jul 20 2014 3:43pm

Yeah those Priests hit pretty hard haha. I do like the final battle in Chapter 1. It goes straight into the action just like Shade Abbey.

Do you plan to use a party of 12? I will use 9-10 seeing how it goes.
Arthur has Lancet2 now, super powerful along with drain which is free and can be used on allies as well as foes.
Minister - Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway.
Minister - Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby ShininGeek » Sun Jul 20 2014 5:58pm

im probably going to use a party of 12, but the characters that i get that i dont want in the final party are staying out of the action so that they dint leech xp. Gort, Ken, Mae, and Luke have been standing back watching for a while now.

and now, Battle 5:
This was one where i told myself "if someone dies, start over." i knew the sand worms would be a pain, so my force of (currently) 6 needed to remain healthy enough to take them. it took me about 3 tries to get past the first enemy cluster (the mage one shor Hans with freeze and then a priest attacked Tao), but i managed to get xp and plow on through. I used Mae, Ken, Luke, and Gort to block 4 of the spawn points and worked my way to the mages at the end. i had killed one and was about to ill the other when he got a double turn and hit Max twice with freeze... :damnit: . fourth time around, though, i was able to block the sandworm spawns earlier and prevent a lot of damage. the mage at the en took out Gong woth blaze, but i managed to kill him and his partner, which let me enter Manarina.

Dead: Hans, Tao, Max, Gong
Perfection is not an option, it is a requirement.
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SaCred » Sun Jul 20 2014 7:55pm

aha :) I had about 8 characters on that Sand Worm battle so i just had to plough through it :) The Mages hit hard with physical and magic lol.
Poison is a real bummer, takes off 25HP per turn lol.
Arthur seems a little over powered though...His Lancet spell is over the top lol.

Hm i see why those Bats just keep casting Sleep, because that Laser Eye hits for 100+ damage!! lol.

I just did the Laser Eye battle and it took almost an hour.
Played on Frame Skip 2, otherwise it would be like 2 hours LOL.
I lost all my best characters like Anri, Tao, Arthur damn...Once i took out the Laser Eye, things started getting better, Hans is good on his critical strikes, and Arthur took out the 2 archers next to the Eye :)

Just done the Elliot battle, not hard at all lol.
Those Cannons were interesting, quite similar to the Prism Flowers in SF2.
Damn Hans is a beast, he did 80+ damage to Elliot, obviously a critical but also used the Power Ring on himself :D

Breaking into Urabotol wasn't too hard, Arthur stood at the top and used Lancet2 on the Knight and Artillery 1 hit KO :D

I like how the entrance has been modified and i picked up Earnest with a new speech :)
He replaces Zylo, damn that wolf is crap in this mod lol.
At the Balbazak battle and those Malvolence's are annoying, this time casting attack up on all foes.
Noooooo, you blocked off the middle making the battle much longer argh, its tough as well, those enemies hit hard with the Malvolence lol.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby ShininGeek » Mon Jul 21 2014 5:07am

Battle 6:
I think the RNG loves me. i never got poisoned, just sleepy. This battle was spent working my way around sleeping comrades (mostly Max) to blast the enemy lines with my new mage, whom i fed a bit of xp to to get her to level 7. I had Gong hit 10, with most sitting at 8-9 and Anri at 7. I cant wait for Arthur after this one...

Dead: None
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby katgirlfeli » Mon Jul 21 2014 10:17am

SaCred wrote:I see you have editted the Quarry battle with more cave entrances lol.
And whos this Malevolence with 999 HP and 0 ATK LOL.

The purpose of that is because if Max walks into that spot, he will be teleported into the cave (even though you're still in Battle) and he'll get stuck in there (which is why the cave gets blocked off by the Mage in the original game where he doesn't move from that spot). Its simply there to make sure you don't go in there, but does nothing on its own. Malevolence has use within Boss battles, as you may have seen, providing map-wide effects to the enemy (or to the Shining Force itself).

SaCred wrote:He replaces Zylo, damn that wolf is crap in this mod lol.

I increased his ATK in this version (as shown in the patch notes). Not only that, as you may not know, I changed it so that Zylo's Promoted Normal Attack animation is that of his Critical Attack animation. His Normal Attack area will become that of Crush Lv1 after his Promotion, so keep that in mind.

Earnest is probably the squishiest of the Knights, but has the highest ATK of all of them.

Indeed, the Bats on the Laser Eye Bridge aren't even a challenge to the Force. They just become real nuisance by blocking their path or putting you to sleep so that you cannot evade the Laser. Panacea/Detox will cure Sleep, so give it a shot. I mean really. The game boasted this Laser's destructive force and yet it only ever did 14 damage. Some superweapon. 100 damage sounds about right ;) Once you cross the bridge, the real battle starts as your possibly weakened force must now handle a decent group of enemies. Don't forget the hidden items. Their locations haven't been moved, and therefore there is a hidden chest in the Laser Eye battle.

I heard a few times that the Elliot battle wasn't that difficult. He's not really a bad guy after all, but I should do something about that anyway.

In any case, I hope that overall its still an enjoyable mod, or at least challenging in a good way. I did test it to make sure everything could be beaten without Egress, so while tough I'm hoping its not that frustrating.
katgirlfeli

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SaCred » Mon Jul 21 2014 12:29pm

Oh I didn't know Detox and Panacea cures sleep :) I just let those bats hit Max with 1 damage while Tao casted Bolt lol. But damnnnn, that battle took forever!! Lucky i didn't lose Max near towards the end lol, otherwise i may have broken my monitor!

Oh Zylo has a splash attack when promoted...hmm, i dont think hes that strong though :) I do like Earnest :D hes the best in all versions of this game lol.

I am getting my butt handled at the Balbazak battle, them enemies hit hard :(

In terms of secret items, i picked up the one inside the cave (originally Tao's bikini) and also the breaking into Urantabol battle.
I missed the one at the Laser Eye battle for obvious reasons lol.

Edit: Just did the Balbazak battle finally and ehhhh, Lowe went to level 21 unpromoted what the??
What is the highest level to go to before promotion LOL.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby ShininGeek » Tue Jul 22 2014 5:54am

So I need to get back to the circus. I've been going through a tiring sequence of "character X gets poisoned right after Lowe and Khris get their turns" and dying as a result. I was going to play a bit last night but I got a call on Skype, and after a few hours of league with friends, it was 4 in the morning and I had to wake up at 7:30. Today was not fun, but it will try and play a bit tomorrow... or I guess yesterday was a pain and I'll play today, as it is now 12:30... man my sleep schedule is messed up...
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SaCred » Tue Jul 22 2014 11:45am

I do have at least 5-6 of my characters carry 1 Panacea each since that Poison damage kills straight away at that part of the game lol.
My Max died near the end of the cavern battle due to Poison!! 25 damage off!

Just did the first boat battle, wasn't tough at all...
Although im not sure why theres golems (weed) and Ghouls on the boat, was it haunted or something lol.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby ShininGeek » Tue Jul 22 2014 2:12pm

The weeds were probably seaweed and the ghouls were bodies lost at sea :confused:
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SaCred » Tue Jul 22 2014 2:52pm

haha seaweed attacking Max and co :D
Well I took off those Ghouls heads and made them swim with the fishes :D

Just wondering what is max level to go to before promotion, my Lowe is 21 haha.

Edit: This Cavern battle in Chapter 5 is a piss take or what? lol.
The battle starts with 3 Weeds coming down each attacking a character each including Tao, then the Mage casts Bolt2 on all and kills Tao straight away...
Sometimes he doesn't cast it so i guess its random but like it takes 20 odd damage and sometimes a critical is worse...He can cast this like 8 times LOL.
My Lowe is 24 unpromoted, Gong 21 unpromoted.
I only Promoted Arthur who was at level 20 because the EXP gain is low at level 20 on this battle.

Edit: Damn, i finally did it after about 10 attempts lol.
Khris helped a lot with her Aura3 and Lowe eventually with his Aura2.
Arthur has Lancet3 hmmm massive radius LOL, and Anri with Freeze3 :D

Btw, my Lowe is level 29 unpromoted...lol.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby ShininGeek » Tue Jul 22 2014 5:14pm

Battle 7:
As with vanilla, this fight was a pain in the ass. I decided to let the enemies come to me and pick them off rather than charge in head first, but they still packed a punch on the first round with so many of them there. I only lost Hans to a stray dire clown later on the stage, but I decided to just go and gang up on the marionette and killed it after two volleys (would've gone faster woth Hans :damnit: ) All in all, a very balanced fight with few easy sections to it, creating a sense of eternal anxiety of "What enemy will move next? Am I out of its aggro range?"

Dead: Hans

Battle 8:
The chapel battle looked scary from first glance, but was pretty easy. The enemies swarmed Max, but only 2 were able to attack at a time, leaving him standing strong. I gave Hans the steel arrow and power ring, so he could one shot zombies and seriously damage skeletons. In the end, the ghoul got one attack on Arthur to kill him, but Hans came in and crit him for 65 damage so... yeah. No more ghoul.

Dead: Arthur
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SaCred » Tue Jul 22 2014 5:49pm

Yeah Hans has some sick criticals :D I have him with the Power Ring as well.

Oh my Lowe promoted at level 30 which is max level before promotion :D
Im at first battle in Chapter 6 which is kinda like a piss take battle with the Bolt2 again LOL.
Luke and Ken need some catching up, they about level 17 unpromoted.
Is it worth to keep them both?

Edit: I went in the battle the 2nd time and the Landmine blew up straight away taking out a Mage and Dulahan LOL.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby katgirlfeli » Tue Jul 22 2014 7:59pm

The max level is 30 before and after promotion. I believe in my run I promoted all my characters at 15 as part of the test. I don't think you ever need to level past 20 to get full unpromoted stats (besides the random stats it starts giving you past Level 20 so you probably should just promote at 20.)

Please note that Enemies that have Bolt used to have the old Bolt which was more like the original Bolt (except for Level 4) in terms of area and range, except it did 25 damage. The new Bolt is like how I had Bolt 4: A melee spell that hits the entire team, but with altered MP costs and damage. The Bolt 2 now should be doing 20 damage and can hit the entire team, but the Mage should require that it stands next to someone to cast it. This is untested, so do enjoy the enemies with Bolt 3 and Bolt 4, Especially the boss Colossus (Bolt 3 does 50 and Bolt 4 does 120. Bolt 4 used to deal 100, so I doubt anyone's surviving it now if they had the HP for it before ;) If it ends up being quite the problem, at least in a few Normal Battles, I can change their spells around, though the Cavern Mage will probably keep it to match the other two Mages with Blaze 2 and Freeze 2, while at the same time, he is technically the boss of that map.

At the Ch. 5 Cavern Battle, Domingo (if you're using him) should have learned Shield by this point which can be cast on himself or others. Arthur should know Void as well, though he can only cast it on himself. Yogurt might be the only one with Void 2 by this point who can affect a group. You should have picked up the Guardian Staff in the Chest in Waral, which also can be used with its Normal Attack option to cast Shield. There are many ways to protect from Magic for the late game, but perhaps not so much here, but do your best :p Also note that the Shield spell protects from anything that can be used via the "Magic" menu. Normal Attacks which cast magic will NOT be blocked by Shield, and on the flip side, Physical Attacks used through the Magic Menu (Snipe, Charge, Crush, etc) will be blocked by Shield.

The original Chapel Battle (and Mine battle at the start of Chapter 3) had all the Skeletons knowing Slash 1. I removed some of these for the sake of your sanity (though it was still very possible before to do these battles as these changes happened AFTER my test run of my mod). Should I just give them their Slash 1 back?

Weeds were in the original game, just not used. Oddly enough, I assumed Weed was meant for Seaweed, since we kinda already had Land Golems. Not only that, Weeds naturally can walk on Water Panels in the original. The Ghouls here can be whatever you want them to be. Its the same one from the Abbey fight. I wanted to find a place to properly reuse them as regular enemies (as I made its stats and level to reflect a higher level mob, considering it was the Abbey Boss). Trying to get the most out of my Enemy/Name slots.

While I didn't use Lowe in my test, I did use Ken. At Level 18 Promoted (with a Promotion at Level 15), he had 101 HP, 7 MP, 78 ATK (w/ Valkyrie), 64 Def (w/ Shield Ring), and 55 Agi. The best Paladin is Mae which has a better stat average than any of the Paladins, but I did this because of who she is: The daughter of the great Varios, since she has his blood in her. Also, she takes great pride, so she gives it her best. The other Paladins tend to be above average in at least one stat, and a moderate secondary. Pelle has great Defense, Earnest has great Attack (but is very squishy). Vankar is pretty average but he has early growth which bolsters his stats to be more effective earlier on.
Last edited by katgirlfeli on Tue Jul 22 2014 8:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
katgirlfeli

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby ShininGeek » Tue Jul 22 2014 8:41pm

enemies can cast bolt at your team from anywhere, though the range indicated shows melee. im not sure why this happened, but i assume it was unintentional
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby katgirlfeli » Tue Jul 22 2014 8:46pm

Hah, that is indeed unintentional.

I did forget: Enemies who have map-wide abilities can cast them from anywhere, despite its actual range. That's a terrible oversight, and I forgot about this from when I worked on this a long time ago. I'll do something to fix this (though they still shouldn't do anything unless they're in aggressive range as I did have Bolt 4 on Colossus, or maybe it just has to do with its AI Region.)
katgirlfeli

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SaCred » Tue Jul 22 2014 9:08pm

Yeah, Mages can hit your entire team from anywhere whereas with Tao, she has to stand next to an enemy to hit all lol.
Im not using Domingo, and Arthur just learned Void2 i think.
I didn't think Yogurt was a playable character :o He has some nice support spells?
I dont have much Gold now to buy items LOL, i didn't buy Tao's bikini since i didnt know it gave stat boosts.
I do have Anri's one which gives +20 defence.
I will get the Guardian staff once i have enough gold.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby katgirlfeli » Tue Jul 22 2014 9:23pm

Well, I created a patch for this, you can just patch and use it. You wouldn't have to restart the mod to use this.

v1.20b
Changed several Mages who knew Bolt so that they know either Blaze or Freeze instead.
Any other Mages that kept Bolt had their AI Regions changed so that they shouldn't cast it unless you were relatively close to them (within 3-4 panels)

They'll still have their increased range (a bug in their AI that I can't really fix), so if you walk in, prepare to get hit, so plan accordingly before approaching.

Still, If you beat the cavern fight with him hailing down Bolt 2s on you, then maybe I should change it back ;)

Caught another bug, seems like "Poison"'s spell icon uses the transparency black instead of actual black o.o I'll fix it some other time.
Last edited by katgirlfeli on Tue Jul 22 2014 9:38pm, edited 2 times in total.
katgirlfeli

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SaCred » Tue Jul 22 2014 9:28pm

huh lol :) Can i resume from my saved game if i dl this patch? :D
Not feeling the urge to restart LOL.

If i didn't patch this, and i continued playing till the Colossus battle.
I will get Bolt4 casted on all my characters every turn? :D
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby katgirlfeli » Tue Jul 22 2014 9:31pm

It says it right in the first line: You would not have to restart the mod to use this.

If you're already in battle, you'd have to restart the battle though.

And no. Colossus always had Bolt 4 in my mod and was always planned to use Bolt 4. He doesn't do anything until you reach his AI region which is in an area around him. I set it up that way because I knew when I was making this mod that the enemy will ignore the cast range in regards to "full map" attacks.

I overlooked this when I changed Bolt 1, 2, and 3 so that it also had the same map-wide effect that other enemies that had Bolt would start doing the same thing. The AI regions of said Mages probably had all regions ticked just so they can be aggressive at any time (which is why they'll cast Bolt.). If you're standing in a particular AI Region that an enemy does not have instructions for, they'll do nothing. If you are in the region, then they'll start to act, based on how far they can move and the range of their attacks, which if the range of "Bolt" is "Anywhere" (because of a bug with how the "Area" ignores its "Range") then you'll get the enemy Bolting from the other side of the map :)
katgirlfeli

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby SaCred » Tue Jul 22 2014 9:44pm

lol okay :) I'll just continue playing and experience more piss take battles LOL.
Luke and Ken need some leveling up to do...But i do plan to use Bleu once i get him on the next battle, and also Adam as well later on :) You made Lowe quite good in this mod by giving him Aura but now that i have promoted him, he dies from a Bolt2 casted from the Mage at the beginning of the battle LOL.
SaCred

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force