Shining Force: darkwolf777's (aka katgirlfeli's) SF Mod Release Thread

Current Version: 1.20 Date: 7/15/2014

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

katgirlfeli
Shining Member
Shining Member

darkwolf777's (aka katgirlfeli's) SF Mod Release Thread

Post by katgirlfeli »

After all the time I've lurked this website over the past few years, I've finally got down and dirty into making my own mod for this game. I spent quite a bit of time modifying what was there in terms of numbers, as well as playtesting my own game to make sure each battle was challenging and possible to complete.

There are many changes in terms of both force and enemy statistics, strengths and weaknesses, to hopefully bring out a different, more difficult version of Shining Force. Some characters have new skills and abilities, but these same skills may be used by the enemies as well. While I have changed items to have a 100% chance to crack, many have uses that may very well save you when the time is right, and others that may not have had any use may prove useful now.

Thank you all in advance for trying this out and of course Rubix for creating the editor and taking some of my suggestions when adding things to the editor~

Notable (General) Changes to the Original game:

-New Skills/Abilities for many characters, including non-Magic Force members.
-Blaze, Freeze and Bolt remade in terms of damage, range, area, and MP cost in hopes that they are more unique from each other, and hopefully that having an option would actually matter somewhat this time around.
-Many items modified from their original values, which include alternate effects and use abilities. Chests may contain different items. Hidden chests have not moved location, but may contain usable versions of items that were once in there or different items entirely.
-Enemy and Force statistics changed. Enemies will have "slightly" more than 30 HP in Chapter 8~ In fact, Rune Knights in Chapter 1 start with 30 HP to give an idea.
-Overall Difficulty Increased, hoping some areas and enemies have you think before you charge in.

Lastly, if you find any random graphical issues, especially random Treasure Chests graphics, please let me know. I'm not sure how they even begin to appear, though I assume a bug in the map editor or something x.x It happens enough that it can't be misclicks when i'm not even map editing. I already a few in Guardiana so just mentioning it now to hopefully fix them later.

IPS Patch
v1.20b Patch https://www.mediafire.com/?m9d623p3lipqpvm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lunar IPS should be easy to find via Google.

~Patch Notes~

v1.00
Initial Release

v1.01
Fixed Graphical errors with palette.
"Sniper" enemies will no longer have a chance to inflict Poison on attacks.
"Dark Elf" enemies will now have a chance to inflict Poison on attacks.
Fixed GRDR Unarmed Attack Range.
Gave the starting characters Medical Herbs and Panaceas at the start to compensate for the fact that the king's 100g offering isn't much.

v1.05
*Minimum Level to promote a class increased from 10 to 15.
*Maximum Level for a non-Promoted class increased from 15 to 20.
*The effective level modifier of a Promoted character increased from 10 to 15 (so a Promoted Class Lv1 will be treated as a Level 16 character, for EXP gains and such)
*Modified enemy levels from Chapter 5 onwards so that you can gain EXP in the way as expected.
*Added Critical Chance to the Status Screen.
*Fixed an oversight in Battle 7 (St. Abbey) that caused the Zombies to not attack.
*Set AI types of various offensive abilities (as prior some skills were changed or moved, but AI Types were not changed accordingly).
*Item Drops should work. Items set to drop from certain enemies should drop now.
*Changed some items enemies had on them so that they would drop.
*Fixed some of the random Chest tiles that I saw.
*Fixed a chest that had an item that you should NOT be getting until much later. =.=; You'll know what it if you got it already as its power should be obvious xD
*Fixed some other chests with items that should've been in there previously but were undone since importing maps did not save those changes and I forgot to fix them.
*Modified the Dark Dragon battle a little.

v1.06
*Fixed bug players were experiencing in early game scripts (and possibly even later game issues) where the game scripts were not working properly, causing the game to be unplayable in certain points.

v1.07
*Fixed Battle 10 where the bridge was not wide enough to accommodate the Force as was originally intended when the battle was designed.

v1.08
*Fixed the AI regions for Kane and Colossus battles.
*Modified the Kane battle slightly
*Modified the Colossus battle so that you'll have to fight all 3 Colossus (i was not aware that killing only the center one ended the battle where I want you to kill all 3.)
*Fixed the area of casting Animus 3 and 4
*Changed the levels from which Domingo learns Animus from 1, 7, 16, 22 to 1, 15, 24, 30.
*Changed the levels many Force Members start at so that they can be around the same levels as the rest of the Force (unfortunately, all characters will still be unpromoted, so you'll still have to deal with a grind for characters like Lyle, Alef, Torasu and Adam, but will start at Level 20, giving them their full unpromoted stats without the need to grind to it at least. Also note that these changes for starting levels most likely do not appear unless you begin a new game, so sorry for those who have already started)

v1.10
*Fix some other bogus AI regions found.
*Added Land Effect patch (Land Effect will now properly reduce physical damage by its percentage by the person standing in it)
*Added Item Passing patch (If Max's inventory is filled when opening a chest, the item will automatically move to the next available item slot on the next available character).
*Added EXP Overflow patch (If EXP gained will put you over 100 EXP, the excess will continue into the next level)

v1.10b
*Removed EXP Overflow, while it worked, caused new games to start with a level and a half of free EXP. Will put back in once it is fixed. (This issue is only a problem when starting a new game. If you've already started a new game, or would like that extra level and a half of free exp, you can still use v1.10 with the overflow.)

v1.10c
*Changed the text that was given when the game passes an item to another player as one of the variables in the line previously was causing problems.

v1.20
Minor Changes (needs only to reload the mod/battle involving issues)
*Fixed blocked pathway in the Darksol battle, making it impossible to progress with walking force members.
*Fixed Shield Level 2 and Level 3's spell ranges (they were swapped)
*Fixed Weeds in Ch. 5, First Battle, knowing Charge instead of Crush.
*Changed Bolt's Range and Damage to avoid abusing Level 4 with the Range Glitch. The range will always be melee range. MP Cost changed from 3/6/9/25 to 5/10/20/40. Damage Changed from 10/25/60/100 to 5/20/50/120
*Fixed any other "Treasure Chests" graphics that maybe lying around that were reported.
*Fixed Ch.5 2nd Battle Mage having its Stat Up item equipped.
*Fixed Ch.6 1st Battle Dullahan not having his Sword equipped and unequipped his Stat Item.
*Fixed Squares in Alterone Castle that couldn't be walked on that should have been.
*Added "Guardian Staff" to Runefaust's Item Shop (replacing Medical Herb)
*Increase the ranges of Dark Dragon's Heads so it cannot be outranged by Lancet and Buster Shot attacks.

Major Fixes (Character Stat Changes may just need leveling, but Spell Fixes and others listed here would need to start a new game for. Do not update unless you're ready to start over)
*Changed it so that Adam starts out with both Power and Guard Chips in his inventory
*Changed May's Pray 1 and Pray 2 spells into Heal 1 and Heal 2.
*Changed Crush 1s MP cost to 1. Changed Crush 2s MP cost to 2.
*Gave Lowe MP Growth (He apparently had none). Increase Gort's MP Growth.
*Gave Zylo 5 more ATK Unpromoted and 5 more attack Promoted.
*Gave Bleu 20 more ATK Unpromoted and 20 more attack Promoted. Changed Bleu's ATK growth (both Promoted and Unpromoted) to Late Growth formula.
*Reduced Tao and Anri's secondary spell Level 4 learned level by 5, matching that of Alef's secondary spell mastery level.
*Increased Amon and Balbaroy's ATK instead of making Sword of Light/Darkness reavailable (Amon received 5 ATK Pre and 5 ATK Post Promotion. Balbaroy received 5 ATK Pre and 10 ATK Post.)
*Replaced Poison and Egress' positioning on the spell list. Hopefully this allows "Poison" to be castable by Alef. Changed Alef's and Max's Spell lists to make sure they have the right spells. Hopefully changed all enemies that used Poison to the correct Spell.

v1.20b
Changed several Mages who knew Bolt so that they know either Blaze or Freeze instead.
Any other Mages that kept Bolt had their AI Regions changed so that they shouldn't cast it unless you were relatively close to them (within 3-4 panels)
Last edited by katgirlfeli on Tue Jul 22 2014 9:38pm, edited 34 times in total.
Siel
Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: darkwolf777's (aka katgirlfeli's) SF Mod Release Thread

Post by Siel »

It looks like there's a slight problem with poison:
katgirlfeli
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by katgirlfeli »

As for the damage, the value is correct. Trying to push an importance on Item and Spell use. Buy Panaceas. If you're talking about why your background seems so odd, I have yet to see that happen, so does that mean it glitched due to you taking poison damage? Many things in Chapter 8 have poison, so I never came across anything in regards to the game glitching in response to it. Perhaps something wrong with making the patch as I haven't seen it happen. Can't really tell well from the screenshot but what exactly did you get poisoned from? Which stage/area?

Also, the game itself was playtested through Kega Fusion. I'm not sure how other emulators may handle it.

Edit: Hm. From the looks of it, there's an issue with the palette that for whatever reason the colors are being pushed over 1. Will try and figure out the deal with that and reupload the IPS. Its not something that occurred during Chapter 7 so it had to be something I did for Chapter 8 that I didn't notice. I suppose its not an issue that hampers gameplay itself, though if there are other issues, let me know please.
Siel
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Siel »

It was the battle on the way to Alterone and a sniper caused the poison. 25 DMG at this point being instant death is why I thought it was unintended. Having to buy a bunch of 250g items when enemies only drop about 32-80g each also sounds quite expensive (and it'd be much cheaper to just let the poisoned die).
katgirlfeli
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by katgirlfeli »

I didn't intend that they poisoned, at least not until Battle 6 with the Zombies. I had forgotten normal Snipers even Poisoned. Even then, I also thought it might prove useful to give the starting characters some Potions/Panaceas considering the lowly 100g the King gives you isn't really anything to start out on. In any case, The damage is normal. Eventually, letting people die might not be all that great either :< Will be releasing the new patch in a few after making sure its isn't messed up graphically like it was ><

Poison doing 25 is still a lot for that battle, but this leads to preparation of Panaceas much more important.

Edit: Patch v1.01 uploaded.
Wetwille
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Wetwille »

That palatte issue has happened to me before. I edit the sprites in mine to make them look better, but the map always gets messed up. I haven't had any random unwanted tile changes however.

Edit: ok, I finally downloaded this patch about 10 minutes ago and got through battle 1. This is a lot easier than I expected, with Tao 1 shotting the goblins and hindering everything else down to 4-6 hp. The text changes are actually very nice. I'm on battle 2 now and like how the goblins were pushed back. I always found that small mountain pass to be very hindering. Great work, now back to it.

Edit 2: I take back what I said about this being easy. Tao is OP with blaze 1, but snipers and priests are Op in attack; they will take you down in 2 shots. 3 if your lucky. However, I haven't grinded so that may be why.

Edit 3: SAND WORMS ARE EVIL!!!!! I had 2 swarm max, put him to sleep with a double attack and another, then both got another turn before Khris Lowe or Gong could move, and killed him. On another note, can't wait for Anri. That super range for freeze 1 is what I need. Also love the snipe spell Hans learned.
Perfection is not an option, it is a requirement
Conqueror of Katgirlfeli's Shining Force 1 mod
katgirlfeli
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by katgirlfeli »

I hadn't noticed that you updated your post. I'm fairly certain Nova suggests to charge through to Manarina than to stay and fight. It was also a battle which I had to use my Quick Ring in to keep Max from dying xD It was definitely a hard push ;p

Yes, Blaze is meant to be powerful. It stays single target all throughout the game, but with the upside of dealing heavy damage with a relatively low cost. This also allows the mages to have a purpose for casting the spells they don't learn as quickly (Anri using Freeze on groups while Blaze to knock off an enemy without spending so much MP, Tao learning Bolt while it knocks off a large range and area, etc).

The priests have terrible AI. I thought of possibly changing their normal attack into a larger range, but to always use heal, so they can try to heal others, rather than them trying to cast the spell and using it on themselves. Generally, they wont move more than a space, so increasing the range is the only way for them to adequately use it move often x.x The game is meant to be a challenge. It'll pick up, don't you worry about that :D

It took me a few tries to beat the Sandworm battle before I could do it without having to restart the battle/no Egressing, as all battles should be able to be completed without restarting, but with only 2 of my force alive though >_<, but I thought it'd be an interesting twist. Certainly something you haven't seen in Shining Force I and creates a win condition that wasn't "defeat all the enemies", although you still could, but there are a LOT of Sandworms, of if you can manage to kill all 6 in one battle round ;p.

When I played through the game, Pre-promotion felt very rough. Battles were difficult, though felt like it should for a novice group of young warriors. Post-promotion, the game seems a bit easier to handle (I left Chapter 5 to become a kind of catching up point, so it might seem a bit easier), while afterwards, it picks up again. Hopefully those who are trying it will like it :D

Waiting for a few more updates from Rubix before I update with the latest changes (such as the viewing of Crit Rates and the fixed dropping of items)
Wetwille
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Wetwille »

Yeah, I've been stuck on the battle for a day, abusing save states when Tao dies, pretty much getting nothing accomplished as I keep forgetting to save and end up at the beginning of the battle but without the Exp

Edit: WOOHOO!!!!!! No more of those spawning bastards! That blaze Mage scared me, but he never got a chance to fire off a spell so, yay! I ended up placing force members on the spot they spawn at, thus making it much easier, even though some people got left out on Xp

# dead: approx. 10 (all Tao) + 1 max
Last edited by Wetwille on Fri Mar 23 2012 7:19am, edited 3 times in total.
katgirlfeli
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by katgirlfeli »

Maybe its time to utilize Medical Herbs and Panaceas ;p When I said I only had 2 left, I hadn't used any items, just spells for recovery. I hadn't bought any Medical Herbs through my playthrough (though I did Panaceas). Getting Herbs should definitely help.

Edit: While I knew that's a possibility to be able to stand on their Spawn Points, some are annoying to reach towards with the low movement, though a few you do pass by so you could stop them from backstabbing the Force that way. Some battles I do have Spawning enemies in squares that are inaccessible (though Flying Enemies can stand on them)
Last edited by katgirlfeli on Fri Mar 23 2012 6:16am, edited 2 times in total.
Wetwille
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Wetwille »

I'm not really one for restoring items, unless it's a solo. It 1) leaves a bit more challenge 2) makes you be more conservative with your MP and 3) gives more EXP
katgirlfeli
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by katgirlfeli »

I think by the end of the Sandworm Battle, i had no MP ;p

Well, I commend your efforts. The battle should be winnable without healing items, but they are there if you need them :D
Wetwille
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Wetwille »

Yup. I'm now on the cavern of darkness.ax got poisoned and suffered 25 damage. Did you mean for this to be a 25%? I don't think that's fair this early where your force is just scraping the 20-30 range
katgirlfeli
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by katgirlfeli »

Its definitely 25 damage. The reason for this is due to the fact that I made a Poison Spell which allows you to Poison enemies. The bad part is that ALL enemies can be Poisoned, even bosses. I was thinking of taken it out, but I wanted to keep it as another spell >_< Not too many monsters early have Poison, but later on, after promotion, it can be a nuisance to your group. Bring Panaceas! xD

I wanted items to be somewhat useful in this one :<

Edit: I guess I didn't fully explain: I didn't want Poison to be a percentage of HP as I figured it would take off too much later in the game for Enemies and not enough on the force to be a burden. The biggest issues is that enemies marked as "Bosses" can still be Poisoned, which is the only limiting factor as to why I haven't set it as a percentage. I can't have any "lucky poisoning of the boss, then running for 4 turns", although you could still do that here, but I suppose it would take a lot longer to do as many bosses have a lot more health, and the enemies aren't very kind. Poison also doesn't seem to wear off on enemies like it does on player characters (Enemies were never meant to be Poisoned I suppose, and therefore there's no Poison Check for enemies, at least not that I saw). 25 is definitely a problem by Battle 6 and many could be one-shot if not prepared. Late game, 25 damage is still a good chunk if not taken care of ;p I may eventually take Poison out as a Spell, If I can find something that I'd replace it with.

If Rubix is able to create the HP Drain with the variable Damage Values (along with the MP Drain in the same fashion as I described in the Editor Topic), then I may very well replace it (and enemies who do use Poison 1, 2, and 3 will simply have it set as their Normal Attack instead of a Spell, making it more annoying xD).
Last edited by katgirlfeli on Fri Mar 23 2012 6:20am, edited 5 times in total.
Wetwille
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Wetwille »

Eh, they will be and are useful, I just prefer magic

Edit: the end of the cavern wasn't so bad, it's just the bats and worms putting you to sleep in the beginning that makes this hard, because they all put your front liners to sleep and you have to use magic to keep healing them. Not my favorite opening of a battle, but I liked the ending.

# dead- 2 (Hans then Max, forced to start over)

Edit 2: ah, the circus. This was pretty easy. All I had to do is rush them all and they all fall like paper. Overall though, I enjoyed this one. They all rushed you in the beginning but then there still were others for when you attacked the Marionette. Tao became level 10 and learned bolt, looking forewarn to the Aoe Spell. like the use of respawn. It's unexpected and very difficult to get past.

# dead- 1 (Gort)

Edit 3: okay, Shade Abbey. This is a ridiculous level for grinding. NOTHING MOVES if you are in line with or behind the front pews. Was this intended? Or is it an accident? However, this is only useful for the zombies. Then the center skeleton likes to OHKO Max... Just gonna use this for a little catch up, stupid level 7s
katgirlfeli
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by katgirlfeli »

Its most not intentional, and no worries. I'll fix it :D This is why I was hoping for people to play it and provide feedback. Thanks :D
Wetwille
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Wetwille »

Welcome! I got Lowe to lv. 8 off of them... with only his wooden staff... God, it took long...
katgirlfeli
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by katgirlfeli »

No Power Staff? You should have been able to find at least one before this point, unless you gave it to someone else at least or forgot to get it... unless I didn't fix all the chests the last time I reloaded everything into a fresh game >_<

I believe I took them out of Rindo's Shop, but as mentioned, you do a lot of (or will do a lot of) healing in this mod, so healers should still get adequate levels :o I used Khris and Gong in my own testing playthrough. You'll get Power Staves in Bustoke from the shop.

Many battles will use Respawning enemies for many things, either to make battles draw out more (running down your resources), for difficulty and for proper EXP gaining for an evenly leveled Force (without too drastic Power Leveling due to the level of enemies), and like in the Marionette battle to make sure the Boss isn't alone (though there is a limit to the number of them that come out, if you want to kill them first x.x), and also the Sandworm Battle to Manarina (its the only battle like it though). Prepromotion is around 3-4 Chapters per level, expecting to be close to, if not 15 by the End of Chapter 4. I completed the Balbazak Battle without promoting anyone, so its possible, though I suppose you can still promote and be Promoted Level 5 at that point too, which is why it'd be nice to change what the "simulated level" of a promoted character is, but something like that isn't available yet.
Wetwille
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Wetwille »

No, I had the power staffs, I just gave them to Tao and Khris. Lowe did about 4 damage to them. Did you nerf the zombie's defense? They seem easier to kill now.
Last edited by Wetwille on Fri Jun 22 2012 3:28am, edited 1 time in total.
katgirlfeli
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by katgirlfeli »

Zombies have 2 Less Defense (from 13 to 11) than in the original Shining Force, but their Health has increased (from 15 ot 38). You're probably not experiencing the whole "THESE ZOMBIES ONLY TAKE 2 DAMAGE A HIT" where you're counting "Hits per Kill" going up as far as 6-7 Physical Hits while you can probably off them with 4-5 attacks in my mod, not counting Blaze as they used to since the Force as a whole is a bit stronger to actually deal more damage per strike (also with the increased Damage of Blaze + Fire Weakness, Tao can probably pop one easily, or at least near death from full. Slash Lv1 also is Fire Element), though i'm not sure you'd be taking out more than a few Zombies each battle round, so you would be taking blows against them (well, when you're not hiding behind the first row of pews anyway, but that will be fixed soon.) You are expected to be around level 7-8 at the end of Chapter 2, and not much further unless you abused someone (like Tao is a good example, but I can't blame you.) Arthur is very good as well, though Ice isn't the best Zombie killer :3c

Never heard the term "to Jeff something" as a term to mess something up. Jeff must have been a clumsy guy.

As for Lowe and Khris, Lowe is more HP and DEF built as a Priest, which he later gains the Attack buff in his Spell List. Khris is more ATK and MP based as a Priest, which she later learns Quick to make up for it.

Tao definitely has the best Physical Attack of the three mages, though the lowest Defense and HP of them all as well, so she must be kept very safe. The definition of Glass Cannon so it would seem.

Also, all "hidden chests" in the game were never moved and therefore, you should be still looking for those chests as you'll find some useful things to obtain. There are currently no additional chests though.
Wetwille
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Wetwille »

Ok, Shade Abbey was not very bad. All you had to look out for was the center skeleton's slash 1 and the ghoul's high attack and magic resistance.

Edit: Dark Elves are now my #1 hated enemy. They doge like a flying enemy, have range, poison, and have the snipe spell. These guys WILL drive you up a wall, shoot an arrow through your shirt, and let you hang there untill you die.