Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

SF1 Editor

Updated 3/3/17 (v2.11.7)

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: SF1 Editor

Postby rubixcuber » Thu Mar 09 2017 12:11am

Thanks for the patch. I'll take a look when I can.

That's interesting on the portraits. I do have to assume that's either intentional or because they didn't bother setting something up for those tiles since they weren't used. I'll make a note to peek at it, but might be a bit.

As far as promotion stats, I'll get that in but for now if you feel like it the single byte at x24A21 determines the stat percentage. Currently it's x55 = 85% of their non-promoted values. So you could bump that up to whatever you wanted.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Thu Mar 09 2017 6:54pm

Hey!
That 85% editable would be a really nice feature in the mechanics editor! :) :thumbsup:
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby projectego » Thu Mar 09 2017 8:44pm

No problem about the patch, hope it can help shed some light as to what's going on under the hood.

Slightly in a different direction, but with regards to the Shops tab in the Editor: What is the significance of the Shop Type option? What differences does it make to a shop based on the value (Weapon or Item) assigned? I'm guessing that it has to do with whether Weapon or Item deals are shown? Or is there more to it than that?
Oh, hi! I'm Steve. Catch me on Steam.
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Thu Mar 09 2017 9:41pm

The deals and the "I don't sell this type of item, but I know someone who does" when you sell stuff. Other than that not sure it does much.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Sat Mar 11 2017 1:14am

Chapter 5 ended and everything still looks fine.

Just got the 31st character in the force now.
As #31 and #30 are on the red carpet, #29 can't be found in the HQ.
I tested putting him in the 12 and it worked ok, with #28 disappearing.

Three extended characters, including the one from last spot, are promoted and have gained some levels. Seems normal so far.

I feel I completed most of my tests. Will play some more, promote other extended and gain some more levels just in case.

Then, I guess I'll wait for the next updates and start a new game to test the latest features.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby projectego » Sat Mar 11 2017 11:58am

Good job, Lobo! Interesting discovering with the missing Force member in the HQ squad line-up... maybe he's shy? :p
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Sat Mar 11 2017 3:04pm

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I thought Lobo was just stating what was expected. That there's only 30 HQ slots and the extras don't show up.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby projectego » Sat Mar 11 2017 5:39pm

Yup - my bad. Major brain fartarge on my part. As you were.

Hey RC, is it cool if I post a few Editor suggestions? I've also discovered one (hopefully) minor bug and have an idea as to what might be causing the Scripting screen to occasionally switch line colours from grey to green... or was it blue? It seems to show a different colour nowadays but can't remember which one it was.
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Sat Mar 11 2017 5:41pm

Ha. I mean that's always fine. My list just keeps growing though.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Sat Mar 11 2017 5:49pm

Yes. I expected that with the 31st in HQ.
I have bad news since then though.

I went on to brake my way through the enemy lines and inside Dragonia and got Bleu (32nd character).
I then put a forth extended character inside the party of 12 - Varios.
When I was to change his equipment, the equip window status bug happened again.
This time it was bugged inside HQ and okay at town.
Think someone has related something similar to it a couple of pages ago.

Screenshot_20170311-084904.png
Screenshot_20170311-084920.png

Well, after that I defeated Kane and convinced him to join the force (33rd character).
Saw the skirmish with Darksol and went back to Rudo.
There, I talked to the priest, intending to promote Varios and Kane.

Screenshot_20170311-130645.png

I promoted Varios alright, but then, when I tried to promote Kane, the priest told me there was nobody else to promote. Even though you can see in the picture there were at least three more.

I then left the confused priest behind and went down to the HQ. To my surprise, I couldn't get there at all! When steping on the stairs, the screen blackened and never came back. The town music kept playing though and I could hear sounds when pressing D-pad and A,B,C buttons, like there was a menu, though there wasn't on screen.

So....think I just found three bugs, being two of them brand new ones. :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby projectego » Sat Mar 11 2017 6:03pm

Edit: You're the man, Lobo!

Okay. You twisted my arm...

Characters
- Can we have it where copy and paste will also copy and paste a Force member's map sprite, battle sprite, and portrait IDs, too?
- Show Force member ID # above Class/stats info?
- If no item or spell is selected, display '[None]' or '[Empty]' or similar instead of 255
- Add a margin/gap between the unpromoted and promoted portraits
- Combine HP & Max HP, MP and Max MP
- Remove Item ID # from Item list overview
- Have Item name display in green if Item is equipped
- Display a removal 'X' next to Item and Spell name if Item or Spell is assigned
- Extended quick search tool functionality for portraits and map sprites. Preview below with other suggestions included:

WARNING: SPOILER!

Items
- If item has no Use Range then only display '[None]' and not '255 [None]'

Enemies
- Display map sprite preview next to enemy name
- Display magnifying glass quick search button next to Map Sprite input
- Display magnifying glass quick search button next to Portrait input
- Status... Where are the values determined? If we are not able to add new ones, could we perhaps have a pop-up box appear with all available status effects?

Spells
- Bug: When selecting AI Type and the pop-up box appears, a '0' becomes visible on screen:

Battle
- Remove Enemy and Item ID #
- Display Weapon/Item title in green if equipped... or display [Eq] after name
- Display red 'X' after Weapon/Item after title for quick removal

Shops
- I have some suggestions for this screen, but before elaborating I was just wondering what is the significance of the Shop Type option? What differences does it make to a shop based on either the Weapon or Item value? I'm guessing that it has to do with whether Weapon or Item deals are shown?

Maps > Map Data
- Clicking HQ will also instantly select and show the Headquarters map (ID #11)

Classes > Enemies
- Colour code enemy classes? Standard: Black; Mounted: Brown; Aquatic: Blue; Forest: Green; Mechanical: Grey; Flying: White/Light Blue; Hovering: ...Orange?

Mechanics
- Add option to fix Priest 'Revive Refusal' scripting bug
- Add option for custom 'Promotion Sickness' percentage modifier (full credit to ShininGeek and Lobo)

Palettes
- Include a fieldset (similar to the Effects screen) which details the characters that are using Enemy/Force Sprite palettes.

Graphics > Map Sprites
- Map sprites appear at 5x or 6x magnification by default (please!)
- Remove Frame scrolling (+/-) option and have all 3 map sprite variations (front, side, behind) appear vertically on the same screen (pretty please!)
- Map Sprite animated previews (front, side, behind)

Graphics > Portraits
- Show/enable Animation preview button for blinking and speech animations, respectively
- Possibly highlight the unusable sidebar area where tiles are rendered transparent in-game?

Animation > Edit Force Animations
- Show Outlines option should not render border 'inside' as it encroaches on the sprite canvas. Perhaps reduce to 1px or replace with 4px (current) outside border?

Animations > Edit Enemy Animations
- Show Outlines option should not render border 'inside' as it encroaches on the sprite canvas. Perhaps reduce to 1px or replace with 4px (current) outside border?

Scripting
- Bug(?): Used to show as a faded blue, now as a bright green. I can't 100% confirm this is what causes this, but I believe that having the Editor open (but inactive?) for periods of longer than 20 minutes will typically result in the default node colours changing from grey to bright green.

projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby xenometal » Sun Mar 12 2017 12:46am

projectego wrote:
rubixcuber wrote:Since the Shade Abbey thing is possibly a case of the event RAM getting modified by something it shouldn't have and each event is just a single bit, there's basically a 50% of it not going wrong even if you do whatever happened in projectego's playthrough. Which we don't even know what that is yet. So, yeah. One of the trickier types of things to figure out. Unless maybe something went wrong in the scripting section when he was adding the join events?

Here's to hoping it's a Scripting bug, then. Although, it's unlikely that both xenometal and I used the exact same method of having the expanded characters join. Mine were set to join without notification during the introductory dialogue with Lowe, if it helps.

Turns out that this is exactly what I did, actually. It's probably the easiest method too, since it's on the first line of the first script page, and it was suggested by rubixcuber himself if I remember correctly.

Lobo wrote:I then left the confused priest behind and went down to the HQ. To my surprise, I couldn't get there at all! When steping on the stairs, the screen blackened and never came back. The town music kept playing though and I could hear sounds when pressing D-pad and A,B,C buttons, like there was a menu, though there wasn't on screen.

Hmm, I did report the game "crashing" when entering HQ with more then 32 recruited characters in a previous post. Close, but no cigar. :p

rubixcuber wrote:As far as promotion stats, I'll get that in but for now if you feel like it the single byte at x24A21 determines the stat percentage. Currently it's x55 = 85% of their non-promoted values. So you could bump that up to whatever you wanted.

Wait, so would a value greater than 100 result in an increase in stats upon promotion?

SF3-style promotions, here I come!
xenometal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Sun Mar 12 2017 1:17am

Heh, it would indeed. The cap is either 127% or 255%, I didn't pay enough attention to the opcodes to see exactly how it will behave with regards to negative numbers. It may start behaving poorly at 128.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Sun Mar 12 2017 2:33am

xenometal wrote:
Lobo wrote:I then left the confused priest behind and went down to the HQ. To my surprise, I couldn't get there at all! When steping on the stairs, the screen blackened and never came back. The town music kept playing though and I could hear sounds when pressing D-pad and A,B,C buttons, like there was a menu, though there wasn't on screen.

Hmm, I did report the game "crashing" when entering HQ with more then 32 recruited characters in a previous post. Close, but no cigar. :p

My bad then!
I just confirmed two of your previous bug reports.

The other one is quite curious, though.
I mean the one about the priest giving up the promoting after Varios.
I did investigate a bit more and here's what I found out:

1) It's not related with the 33rd bug, as I tried to promote Kane before Varios and the priest still went on with that functionality.

2) It's related to Varios character. Either something I gave him or that especific spot on the editor. I tried promoting characters in different orders and different moments, but that thing always (and only) happened when I promoted Varios.
I can't think I made anything special about him though. :eyebrow:

EDIT:
Maybe that's the reason he's still unpromoted at that age.
I mean, has anybody ever asked why he leads Guardiana defence, being a knight, while all the Arthur-like centaurs are in fact paladins?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Flygon » Sun Mar 12 2017 4:06pm

rubixcuber wrote:Heh, it would indeed. The cap is either 127% or 255%, I didn't pay enough attention to the opcodes to see exactly how it will behave with regards to negative numbers. It may start behaving poorly at 128.

All the stats use signed numbers for some reason. Doesn't really make sense.

Had fun fiddling with defence set to 128 (which, naturally, translates to about negative 128 defence) a few years ago, either way. Turns out the engine totally can handle damage numbers of over 255!
Flygon