Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

SF1 Editor

Updated 3/3/17 (v2.11.7)

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: SF1 Editor

Postby Lobo » Mon Mar 06 2017 8:24pm

rubixcuber wrote:Heal EXP Percent - Yep, the normal healing EXP is the couple EXP you get normally plus 20% of health healed with a minimum of 10 EXP. Since you're almost rarely healing more than 50HP you're pretty much always getting about 10 EXP, so I figured upping this percent would probably make sense. (And I wonder if they meant for it to be higher? It doesn't really do much as is...)

In fact, the EXP gained for healing is 10 if you heal less than half the max HP of the target (and at least 1).
If you heal more htan half, the EXP gained goes above 10, probably until 19. Never seen a 20 or more.

The formula should be someting like: 20 * HP healed / Max HP, with a minimum of 10.

I guess if you change the % in the editor from 20 to X, you will gain X * HP healed / Max HP then.
Last edited by Lobo on Mon Mar 06 2017 8:38pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby rubixcuber » Mon Mar 06 2017 8:27pm

You're right about that, I knew I was forgetting something. In either case, it was an oddly tuned system that seemed to leave healers under-leveled.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Mon Mar 06 2017 8:38pm

xenometal wrote:- Jogurt still joins at level 0 since v2.11.0.

I can confirm this observation. Jogurt is really at level 0 in my playtest.
I went on to put him in battle, and he fights just like...Jogurt. He still gained the Yogurt Ring after killing an enemy.
Then, when he got enough EXP to raise a level, the message said he was still at level...0.

It's quite wierd to have a level 0 character, but haven't really made an effect over him. At least, it doesn't seem so.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Mythrandir » Tue Mar 07 2017 5:08pm

Great, thanks RC for the quick and helpful response! Perhaps if and when I get comfortable with the editor I will make some tutorial videos.

Another question. I've been messing around with the graphics editor. Is there a way to import graphics? I was hoping to be able to use battle sprites from other games like Beyond the Beyond to create new characters. I know how to export the graphics folder and know a little bit (but not much) about editing programs but when I take characters from the sprite sheets and put them in the graphics folder, it doesn't seem to translate well in the editor. Is that possible to do? Any tips on how to make it work? The art looks fine when I first import it but if I close the editor down and reopen, the art is extremely distorted. And when I attempted to use it in game, the game crashed.
Mythrandir

Postby rubixcuber » Tue Mar 07 2017 5:16pm

Hmm. Unfortunately it wasn't really designed for that. To do that you need to do a couple things.

1) Create the new sprites in the editor and export them as empty images. (Unless you are overwriting existing graphics, then just export those normally)

2) Edit that image and paste your other graphics into it. You can't change the size of the images and you need to maintain the transparency/background color.

3) Make it match the palette of the original graphics. You need to get it as close (ideally identical) to the colors used by that graphic as possible. Some graphics programs will let you set up a palette and reduce to that. As long as all of the colors are pretty close I think it should figure it out though.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby projectego » Tue Mar 07 2017 11:16pm

Hey Mythrandir! So glad to see another SF1 Editor (and Tolkien!) fan.

RC, have you been able to reproduce the issues highlighted by xenometal? Chiefly, the Jogurt level 0 bug, the stats/equip bug, and the Nova blue flame bug?

ShininGeek was also able to identify a bug within the new Range editor. Have you been able to address this one?

Returning to a comment made last week pertaining to a possibly faulty event trigger in Chapter 1, did this lead anywhere? I'm going to be replaying the game from scratch with Extended Characters on v2.11.7 tonight, but thought I'd check in and see if you were able to further uncover any reasons for why I was not able to enter Shade Abbey or Rindo after losing the ship.
Oh, hi! I'm Steve. Catch me on Steam.
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Wed Mar 08 2017 12:02am

I mean if it was brought up I am aware of it and once I address issues I'll release a patch / notice. Until then I don't have a whole lot to add. (I'm admittedly a bit distracted by Breath of the Wild lately... :blush: )

I haven't figured out anything new on your issue. As soon as I sit down with it again I let you know. Been rotating between the Mega Man thing and procedural music generation and SF on coding. Then of course Zelda and a couple other things as far as gaming. Speedrunning, work, school. A couple other hobbies and projects. It's a wonder I get anything done.

My to do list just for Shining Force is sitting at like... 73 items now, ha.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby projectego » Wed Mar 08 2017 1:46am

How are you finding the Switch and BotW so far? I'm considering picking up a Switch when Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is released.

It seems that nobody else has yet run into the issue that I was having with Rindo/Shade Abbey. Very strange... perhaps I must have broken something somewhere...

Can you post your to-do list? I'd love to see what's made it onto the list so far!
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Wed Mar 08 2017 1:54am

Oh, I don't have a Switch. I'm not willing to dump quite that much money into things, ha.

I downloaded it on WiiU. Love the game though. I mean, the to do list is basically just everything that's been posted on here. It's less a physical list than a hodge-podge of notes and memories, ha.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Wed Mar 08 2017 12:44pm

I finished Chapter 4.
Promoted most characters, including three extended, including the one from the last spot.
No problem there, except the lack of option in the editor to choose map and battle sprites for promoted characters.
I learnt promoted characters use map sprite +30 and battle sprite + 19 compared to the ones assigned to them unpromoted.
If there's no sprite at those numbers, some errors happen. It happened to me, but it was just a matter of changing the unpromoted sprites in the editor and then loading a savestate.
It's no big deal, but I see it will lead to a lot of work if we are to insert new sprites.
We will have to relocate the sprites so that the new ones match the +30 and +19 rule.
And maybe (not sure) we will have to deal with the events from the relocated sprites as well.
The easier way (as a modder point of view) would be the editor enabling us to choose the promoted sprites directly on the characters editor.

Anyway, for now, it seems to be working quite well.
I tested the promoted sprites in and outside battle. They are ok.
Still haven't leveled them up. So there's one more test to go.
I also talked to people in the ship HQ and the dialogs are working fine too. :thumbsup:
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby projectego » Wed Mar 08 2017 1:51pm

Lobo, that is an excellent observation regarding the +30/+19 rule for promoted characters. I'm writing up a list of suggestions for RC and I feel that perhaps the Editor might benefit from a method of checking and verifying that promoted map/battle sprites for a character actually exist. That is not to say that this is in any way an oversight on RC's part, merely that Sega's curious implementation of promotions is something that needs to be made clearer.

What kind of error occurred for you when those characters were promoted? Did the game crash or were the wrong map/battle sprites shown or something?
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lobo » Wed Mar 08 2017 1:59pm

I only tested it with one character, and only the map sprite inside HQ.
It got a random sprite (at least I couldn't guess why that one) and it was sidewards when suposed to be front, backwards when suposed to be side, and glitched when talked from the back.
At least the game didn't crash. But I did not go into battle to see how it would behave.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby xenometal » Wed Mar 08 2017 2:38pm

So, who here is getting an AMD Ryzen CPU? :lol:

*Ahem* Alright, I've followed projectego's instructions on reproducing the issue he's been having with being stuck on the overworld map in chapter 2 once the path to Shade Abbey has been opened, and was able to reproduce the issue using SF1Edit v2.11.7. I wonder what Lobo did differently that let him pass that point...?

I tested the Jogurt level 0 bug some more. I set his starting level to 20 to see what would happen, and the result was that he still joined at level 0. But as Lobo remarked, the little bugger doesn't seem to care!

Oh, playing video games instead of working on the editor? How dare you, rubix?!
xenometal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lobo » Wed Mar 08 2017 2:41pm

I did nothing at all to enter Shade Abbey. I mean, besides steping over it.
Can't remember which version of the editor I had last used back then.
Probably, not the 2.11.7 though.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby projectego » Wed Mar 08 2017 3:38pm

xenometal wrote:So, who here is getting an AMD Ryzen CPU?

I'm so glad that AMD are finally stepping up their game again; Intel have gotten so lazy this generation with Kaby Lake. Reviews so far have been pretty positive and I'm considering returning to the red team for my next upgrade.

xenometal wrote:*Ahem* Alright, I've followed projectego's instructions on reproducing the issue he's been having with being stuck on the overworld map in chapter 2 once the path to Shade Abbey has been opened, and was able to reproduce the issue using SF1Edit v2.11.7. I wonder what Lobo did differently that let him pass that point...?

Thank you for checking this out, xenometal! Maybe one of the options under Mechanics is conflicting with Extended Characters?

Lobo, can you remember if you enabled any other settings when you were testing the Expanded Characters? Hopefully we can help point RC in the right direction with regards to what's breaking Chapter 2.

xenometal wrote:Oh, playing video games instead of working on the editor? How dare you, rubix?!

Hear, hear!

Or maybe... Breath of the Wild Editor confirmed? :O

(hehe)
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby rubixcuber » Wed Mar 08 2017 5:11pm

Ha. I wouldn't necessarily say instead. Just splitting my time up even more than usual.

Since the Shade Abbey thing is possibly a case of the event RAM getting modified by something it shouldn't have and each event is just a single bit, there's basically a 50% of it not going wrong even if you do whatever happened in projectego's playthrough. Which we don't even know what that is yet. So, yeah. One of the trickier types of things to figure out. Unless maybe something went wrong in the scripting section when he was adding the join events?

I may want to request a patch of your game projectego so I can maybe try to see if there's anything wrong or different about what you did that might give an idea. Otherwise it's just back to digging through assembly traces.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Wed Mar 08 2017 5:15pm

xenometal wrote:*Ahem* Alright, I've followed projectego's instructions on reproducing the issue he's been having with being stuck on the overworld map in chapter 2 once the path to Shade Abbey has been opened, and was able to reproduce the issue using SF1Edit v2.11.7. I wonder what Lobo did differently that let him pass that point...?

Thank you for checking this out, xenometal! Maybe one of the options under Mechanics is conflicting with Extended Characters?

Lobo, can you remember if you enabled any other settings when you were testing the Expanded Characters? Hopefully we can help point RC in the right direction with regards to what's breaking Chapter 2.

I didn't enable anything in the mechanics editor for sure.
I only messed with the following editors: Characters, Spell Learning, Text, Graphics and Events.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Mythrandir » Wed Mar 08 2017 5:33pm

Hi projectego, thanks for the welcome. SF, LOTR, and A Song of Ice and Fire ftw!

rubixcuber wrote:Hmm. Unfortunately it wasn't really designed for that. To do that you need to do a couple things.

1) Create the new sprites in the editor and export them as empty images. (Unless you are overwriting existing graphics, then just export those normally)

2) Edit that image and paste your other graphics into it. You can't change the size of the images and you need to maintain the transparency/background color.

3) Make it match the palette of the original graphics. You need to get it as close (ideally identical) to the colors used by that graphic as possible. Some graphics programs will let you set up a palette and reduce to that. As long as all of the colors are pretty close I think it should figure it out though.

That worked great RC, thanks! I love this editor. I feel like I can do anything lol.

Keep up the good work everyone. Maybe I can start helping when I have a better idea of what's going on. :excited:
Mythrandir

Postby projectego » Wed Mar 08 2017 9:08pm

rubixcuber wrote:Since the Shade Abbey thing is possibly a case of the event RAM getting modified by something it shouldn't have and each event is just a single bit, there's basically a 50% of it not going wrong even if you do whatever happened in projectego's playthrough. Which we don't even know what that is yet. So, yeah. One of the trickier types of things to figure out. Unless maybe something went wrong in the scripting section when he was adding the join events?

Here's to hoping it's a Scripting bug, then. Although, it's unlikely that both xenometal and I used the exact same method of having the expanded characters join. Mine were set to join without notification during the introductory dialogue with Lowe, if it helps.

rubixcuber wrote:I may want to request a patch of your game projectego so I can maybe try to see if there's anything wrong or different about what you did that might give an idea. Otherwise it's just back to digging through assembly traces.

Sure thing. Here's an IPS patch: (Download)

I'm not super up on my ROM patchiness, so I'm not even entirely sure if this is relevant, but the standard, unmodified 1.5MB ROM was used as a base and I'm guessing you might want to apply the patch to that version.

Thank you for looking into this, RC. The Expand Characters functionality really is a fantastic addition and it's going to be all the more awesome when these niggling bugs are flushed out.
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby ShininGeek » Wed Mar 08 2017 9:41pm

I actually also had the Chapter 2 map bug occur to me as well, though my change list is probably waaaaaay too long to post here (perhaps when i finally release V 3.0 of my mod... if I ever finish it, that is. The new features being implemented are causing me to add and change features left and right so... yeah)

I have also run into an issue with portraits and the speaking/ blinking animations. If one of the animations pulls a tile from any one of the tiles at {(6,4), (7,4), (6,5), (7,5), (6,6), (7,6), (6,7), (7,7)}, the game treats the tile as transparent.

WARNING: SPOILER!

I believe this is a deliberate coding issue, as none of the vanilla sprites use any of those tiles in their speaking/ blinking animations.

Also, quick request from me, is there a way to adjust the "promotion sickness" on force members that causes them to lose stats on promotion?
Perfection is not an option, it is a requirement.
Perfection is not an option, it is a requirement.
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force