Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

SF1 Editor

Updated 5/22/17 (v2.11.12)

Discussion about the original classic Genesis/Mega Drive game. Posts about the GBA remake belong in the forum below.

Re: SF1 Editor

Postby projectego » Fri Apr 07 2017 9:27am

I'm not far off Bustoke now. Even though it looks like you guys have got this thing covered, I'll let you know if I encounter the crash, also.

RC, I've been doing a lot of tinkering with battle sprite palette editing over the last month, and it seems that sometimes when I select a certain colour tone via the swatch tool, the one I receive is fairly close to the one I chose but not the exact one. Normally I'm quite thorough with my notes, but unfortunately I have neglected to jot down which colour(s) were not being accepted. Although, I'm just wondering, are you familiar with this issue already or do I just sound like a crazy person?

tl;dr: Pick a shade of red (for example) through the palette colour swatch and the one I receive is typically much lighter or darker than the one I chose, even if I input the RGB values manually.

Now, more playtesting!
Oh, hi! I'm Steve. Catch me on Steam.
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lobo » Fri Apr 07 2017 11:49am

I just realized I have options to keep the tests going on even without a fix.

I can either:
a) move on without Zylo;
b) insert a Moon Stone in some other map; or
c) change Zylo's joining event.

Think I'll go with the (b) option.

EDIT:
I made another Moon Stone inside a new chest in Bustoke.
It's quite strange, but I picked up the item and when I tried to talk to the alchemist, the screen turned black.
Maybe it's related to the events flags? :confused:

EDIT2:
Tried the (c) option and it seems to have worked.
Back in the game for now! :)
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby rubixcuber » Fri Apr 07 2017 11:21pm

Quarry teleport is fixed now. And the code is now in place to handle those types of teleports in battle maps.

I know there are still some more maps later in the game that use the same system that I still need to add to the fixing routine, but that's the easy part.

There's also currently no way to really edit / create teleports like that in the editor so that will have to be added at some point.

Update

v2.11.9 - 4/7/2017
[Battles]
* Battle exits properly handle in-map teleport in the quarry
* Debug menu option renamed and also fixes quarry teleport

Also, projectego, if I understand you correctly you mean that when you choose a color from the color picker it ends up changing from what you picked? If so that's normal and intended. When you choose a color it simplifies it to the Genesis color palette which doesn't have nearly as many colors as computer RGB. I'd have to make a custom color picker or something to not have that happen.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby projectego » Sat Apr 08 2017 12:41am

Thank you so much for another excellent update, RC! Will keep my eyes peeled for future teleport spots and report back any errors.

Colour palette: Ah, I see. That makes a lot more sense now. Very interesting indeed! So the Editor is programmed to only allow compatible palette colours? That's actually a marvellous feature, RC. I thought it weird that 9/10 times I could make use of any desired colour I choose, but certain colours were just being fed back to me in a different shade. So glad I'm not crazy!

RC, bit of a strange question this one, but do you feel that being able to import and export colour palettes might be do-able and/or an okay idea? I routinely start afresh with new ROMs and have sprites ready to drag 'n' drop into the necessary folders and ready to import, but the only thing that holds me up really is the manual reinsertion of custom colour palettes. How do you feel about this as a feature?

Edit: Perhaps have palette colours export as a text file (or text files) with hex colour values?

Edit 2: I have a question concerning which is the best method of utilising Extended Character map sprites. I am making pretty much every single boss playable, and of course their map sprites are already in the game. None of them are promotable, so I'm wondering whether to just have their Extended Character data call the map sprites that are already in-game and used for their enemy map sprites. I'd prefer to use this method as it means important fewer map sprites and requiring less ROM space (even if only a negligible amount).

My question is this: Would this be a viable method? Which method would you recommend?
projectego

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lobo » Mon Apr 10 2017 11:23am

rubixcuber wrote:Quarry teleport is fixed now. And the code is now in place to handle those types of teleports in battle maps.

I know there are still some more maps later in the game that use the same system that I still need to add to the fixing routine, but that's the easy part.

There's also currently no way to really edit / create teleports like that in the editor so that will have to be added at some point.

Update

v2.11.9 - 4/7/2017
[Battles]
* Battle exits properly handle in-map teleport in the quarry
* Debug menu option renamed and also fixes quarry teleport.

I'm currently at the Uranbatol fort battle.
I'm afraid those battle exits (two doors) may use those teleports method.
Whenever I finish the battle (which is likely to be today), I'll update here.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby rubixcuber » Mon Apr 10 2017 3:39pm

Oh, yep. Any time you move between the same battle map would probably be done that way. But now that the code is in place it's an easy fix. I'll try to get that added shortly assuming it is broken.

Edit: Hmm, well I tested it using an old save state and it looked like it might be functioning properly. Let me know what you find. It looks like that one is just plain old exit 2 rather than 127.

I realized after looking at the docks battle though that I'm not honoring the X/Y location of the battle when displaying the exits. Just cosmetic mostly, but I need to fix that.

Edit2: The next issue I see is battle 25 (24 in editor) approaching Runefaust. I think everything up to that point is good, but don't quote me on that! So, somebody warn me if they get close to that. The exit from that battle is 125, but it's not a same map teleport. That one ends the chapter doesn't it? I wonder if exit 125 always ends the chapter, hmm.

Edit3: It does! Interesting. So that one probably still works just fine. I guess let me know if any issues come up anywhere.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Mon Apr 10 2017 5:22pm

I guess let me know if any issues come up anywhere.

We will! :)

Still haven't played the fort battle. Probably in the next couple hours. But thanks for looking at it in advance! :thumbsup:
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby rubixcuber » Mon Apr 10 2017 5:32pm

I've got exits 125, 126 and 127 in the editor right now. We can use 125 to cause leaving any battle to end the chapter. 126 causes the screen to flash white and then moves you somewhere? Maybe just teleport with the white flash instead of fade to black. And 127 is the normal teleport. Still not 100% sure how to properly tie the teleports together to make new ones.

It must just be the 'submap' exits, but not sure how it chooses one tile over the other. Unless it just always assumes there's only one teleport and it goes to whatever the other tile is. Will have to experiment a bit.

Edit: So, apparently they teleport to whatever the next exit that is defined is. Which means that order of exits is important. I'll have to rework the exit system a little to handle that.

Edit2: Okay. I think I may have fixed all the issues, added the missing teleports to the debug fix, and got it set up so you can create your own teleports / chapter ends.

Update

v2.11.10 - 4/10/2017
[Battles]
* Battle exits properly handle X and Y battle offset
* Battle exits 125-127 can be placed
* Teleport coordinates for Battle Exits 126,127 can be set
* Teleport coordinates load and save properly now
* Debug menu fix for exits properly fixes quarry exits in the new system
* Debug menu fix for exits rebuilds teleports in the gate map in chapter 8

Interestingly enough, the teleports can be used during a battle turn! It doesn't properly recalculate your move range after teleporting though, which would be an interesting thing to add.

WARNING: SPOILER!

Edit3: And projectego:
Yeah, I used to have it not automatically adjust the colors, but then what you were seeing wasn't matching up in game and if you saved and loaded the color would change then. It's not 100% ideal, but best I could do easily. Not sure if it's worth building a Genesis color picker from scratch just to avoid that.

The palette import / export works already, but it doesn't include some of the palettes that got added later. I just need to update that.

Not sure I follow on the map sprite question, might just be tired. As opposed to doing what? Wouldn't that be the way to do it?
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Mon Apr 10 2017 11:04pm

Finally finished the fort battle and......got stuck in the map.
The upper door opened when I killed the last enemy, but I couldn't get inside it.
I then tried to go out of the map in the bottom squares that suposedly led to Pao, but couldn't get out ther either.

Do you think the last update fixes it?
I'll try it to see what happens.

EDIT:
I tried to debug with the latest version of the editor, but unfortunately, the issue persisted. :(

Maybe this battle uses a totally special code for the exits.
As I recall, it's the only battle that opens one of two possible exits depending on the enemy you kill last.
If you kill last the enemy in front of the door below, that door will open.
If, instead, you kill last the enemy in front of the upper door, it will be that one opening.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby rubixcuber » Mon Apr 10 2017 11:48pm

Hmm. I have a guess. Which door did you open, right or left?

I am thinking maybe the two directions are saved as separate exit sets, and I'm only loading one of them. And when I tested I probably happened to trigger the one that was properly loaded. Unless you tried both doors. Let me know.

If that's not it I'll have to do some testing. Might want to borrow your patch/save state. When I tried to skip there I didn't have any problems, but I didn't actually go through the battle.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Tue Apr 11 2017 12:12am

I opened the upper one. Left door.
Maybe it's that, but...the bottom exits are not working either.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby rubixcuber » Tue Apr 11 2017 6:36am

Alright. Would you mind making a patch of your ROM and sending me that and a save state before that battle so I can test?
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Tue Apr 11 2017 11:23am

Sent you a PM about this.

Just did another test...the bottom exit seems to be working all right during the battle.
I Egressed than came back to the battle and could escape on foot.
But in that previous situation when I finished the battle and the upper door opened, the bottom exit quit working.

Do you think, maybe, if I Egress and fight the battle all over again from the beggining, all the issues could be fixed?

EDIT:
Did another quick test.
Instead of egressing, I walked down the map during the battle, until Max reached the bottom.
The exit was working as usual. So I guess it's winning the battle and opening the upper door the bugs the bottom exit as well.
Didn't try the door to the right.

EDIT2:
Another not-so-quick test.
Fought the battle again, only this time killing the last enemies in the inverse order.
The right door opened this time and....Max was able to pass through it.
The botton exit to Pao also worked alright.

So, in the end, there's something broken with the upper left door only.
And opening that door breaks the other exits too.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby rubixcuber » Tue Apr 11 2017 8:09pm

Yeah, that's exactly what I figured. It switches exit sets depending on which one you do and I wasn't loading that set. Simple fix, same as the Shade Abbey stuff.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Tue Apr 11 2017 8:18pm

Cool! :)

Next battle with possible issue could be the middle one of Chapter 5.
That one with ice all around where you fight a Master Mage trying to get to Metapha.
When you win the battle, I think you use some kind of teleport to the same map before leaving it.

Then, it would be Dragonia, where you take the stairs inside the shrine just after defeating Kane.

Can you take a look at them in advance?
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby rubixcuber » Tue Apr 11 2017 9:32pm

Uranbatol fix added.

Update

v2.11.11 - 4/11/2017
[Battles]
* Battle exits properly handle the alternate path in Uranbatol
* Debug menu fix for exits fixes Uranbatol path

That previous update should have fixed all teleport issues. The only problems that should still exist are alternate paths/exits like the fortress one if there's still one I've missed. I can't think of any offhand, but probably still one out there.

I know there's one exit set I haven't assigned at the very end of chapter 8, so that might be one of them.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Wed Apr 12 2017 12:34am

I think there's no exit at the end of chapter 8, as the story makes Max stab the DD with the CB and them cast Egress to save the companions before the CoA sink back in the ocean.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby rubixcuber » Wed Apr 12 2017 12:42am

I just mean somewhere in the later parts of chapter 8 there's a slot that I don't know what map/battle it goes to.
rubixcuber

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lobo » Wed Apr 12 2017 1:26am

As I remember, there should be one exit from chapter 8 map to the Gate of Ancients, one from the gate to inside the Castle, one (I think) from the teleport room to the Colossus room and one from Colossus room to Darksol/DD room.

Before those, some exits from Runefaust to it's two castles, one from Runefaust to the outside map and three inside the New castle (the one you fight Ramladu).

But if it's close to the end, it must be one of those inside the CoA.
Lobo

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby ShininGeek » Thu Apr 13 2017 10:36pm

It could be the transition from the Darksol fight to the Dark Dragon fight. You don't change maps, but positions for force members change. I don't believe any other battle functions this way, which could explain the exit change.
Perfection is not an option, it is a requirement.
Perfection is not an option, it is a requirement.
ShininGeek

Shining Member
Shining Member

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force