Shining in the Darkness: effects question

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

sulfuroxp
Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

effects question

Post by sulfuroxp »

What's the difference between "Kick Out", "Lash Out" and "Lunge"?

What's the difference between "Flee" and "Back Away from Battle"?

What's the difference between "Watching Warily" and "Wait"?

What do these?
"Defend (robe)"
"(shield)"
"(muscle)"
"Concentration"
Assassins
Mentat
Shining Legend

Re: effects question

Post by Assassins »

Not sure what you are referring to unless those are the enemy moves, then the differences are cosmetic only.

And for the last part...what?
The failblood.

"I am very poorly and very stupid and I hate everyone and everything" -Charles Darwin
darkwraith007

Post by darkwraith007 »

sulfuroxp wrote:What's the difference between "Kick Out", "Lash Out" and "Lunge"?

What's the difference between "Flee" and "Back Away from Battle"?

What's the difference between "Watching Warily" and "Wait"?

What do these?
"Defend (robe)"
"(shield)"
"(muscle)"
"Concentration"
Better late than never.
Kick Out = physical attack
Lash Out = physical attack
Lunge = physical attack

Flee = immediately run; even if it interrupts your own turn
Back Away from Battle = run during the end of the turn

Watching Warily = skip their turn
Wait = skip their turn

Defend robe/shield/muscle = reduce incoming physical damage modified by their DEFENSE stat
Concentration = begin to prepare/cast a powerful spell (usually level 3 or 4) for dramatic effect.

The short answer is that most of these have no discernible difference aside from different text. They tend to all reference the same basic function aka 'Defend' and 'Wait' and 'Flee'.
I haven't dug into the assembly code but that's what I could figure out from personal limited testing during my creation of my rom hack for SitD.
Last edited by darkwraith007 on Mon May 23 2016 8:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
Assassins
Mentat
Shining Legend

Post by Assassins »

A lot better an answer than mine
The failblood.

"I am very poorly and very stupid and I hate everyone and everything" -Charles Darwin
sulfuroxp
Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Post by sulfuroxp »

darkwraith007 wrote: Concentration = begin to prepare/cast a powerful spell (usually level 3 or 4) for dramatic effect.
Did Concentration cast any spell? random or from the enemy actions list?
darkwraith007

Post by darkwraith007 »

sulfuroxp wrote:
darkwraith007 wrote: Concentration = begin to prepare/cast a powerful spell (usually level 3 or 4) for dramatic effect.
Did Concentration cast any spell? random or from the enemy actions list?
I'm not 100% (it has been months) but I believe they can only cast a spell from their abilities list. I believe (again not 100%) that doing Concentration before the spell will increase damage or increase % chance of a status spell affecting you or something like that.

Please consider anything I posted in this thread to be a complete RUMOR until confirmed by the maker of the SitD editing tool or an actual programmer. Going off memory isn't the most ideal way to give info but I figure it is better than nothing.

I did gather up a ton of info and did testing myself (using a debugger in a certain Genesis emulator) to see how things worked and to see how it affects the enemy and players. I'm nowhere near as awesome at coding or reading the Genesis assembly code but I can pick up on trends/patterns at least.

To be fair my 'testing' was fairly limited and not as extensive/scientific as it should've been. I've edited my previous post to correct that oversight.

I'd say the best way to figure this stuff out without reading a dis-assembly of the code is to do your own testing on early enemies in the dungeon and just spam 'defend' on your characters so that you can see how they do things and how certain actions will work.