Shining in the Darkness: Shining in the Darkness 2.0 Battle Editon

It's finally here guys!!!

Discussion about this classic Genesis/Mega Drive game.

Moderator: Shining Moderators

rbahamut

Re: Shining in the Darkness 2.0 Battle Editon

Post by rbahamut »

will give this a shot
SaCred
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by SaCred »

You won't be disappointed. Maybe when you finish it, you can make a no revive version RBahamut Mod lol.
Minister - Don't worry about him. If he dies, it doesn't matter. He's old anyway.
Ricky Fox

Post by Ricky Fox »

Great one! looking forward for more... :excited:
Morath

Post by Morath »

Just wanted to pop in to say I'm playing through this and am very much enjoying it. It's a breath of fresh air to have items drop that aren't far below what you're already wearing. Farming feels more rewarding: whenever something drops I actually want to try it out and if I don't end up using it then it's still useful towards getting something I want from the shop (the game is less grindy due to the item drops). I'm also impressed by how the items were repurposed based on the chests in the labyrinth (must have taken some thought ;p). The battles are also fun; thematically appropriate behavior and drops are appreciated. I think a good indicator in relation to this is fighting truffles and if you don't play carefully you can end up with 8 of them nearly perma-sleeping you which literally makes me drowsy; in other words you have achieved a high level of immersion with this example as well as other types of battle mechanics lol.

Overall this version is much improved over the original; now my mind gets to wondering about the potential of this game when including things like dungeon redesign...
lutz75

Post by lutz75 »

I'm looking to place this game too. Anyone still playing? I'm having a hard time patching the game.
monkbarron
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by monkbarron »

I finally beat it.
:sleep: Z Will Always Dominate Any SF TAS :sleep:
darkwraith007

Post by darkwraith007 »

Hello everyone!

Wanted to let you all know that this was reposted over on the Steam Workshop:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =676208826" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back when I received permission from the author, they told me I could release it under the following license:
Creative Commons Attribution NonCommercial Sharealike v4.0 International Unported

So I went ahead and did that. I just figured if the author was still around they might be happy to know that others are still playing and enjoying their work after so long :)
Landstalker

Post by Landstalker »

ShiningForever wrote:Finally, After over two months of working on this classic gem I've finally completed the official upgrade! I have played through the entire game multiple times with two different emulators, and I must say that I had quite a bit of fun with the new and improved difficulty! Monsters and Items have (In my opinion) been precisely tweaked adding significant challenge but keeping the game fair without being impossible to beat. There is so much different about both the items and the monsters that it almost feels like a whole new experience just playing through the game! :excited:

My inspiration for this upgrade comes from both my love of this game and the awesome dreams I would have where I would somehow end up discovering a secret floor in the labyrinth! It was so surreal! I would end up encountering new monsters I hadn't ever seen before and there would be new events and shops. But it always sucked when I woke up. Anyway, after a long time of searching online for secrets to this game I eventually came across shiningforcecentral! It was so cool to see people who were just as crazy about this game as I was! OK, well maybe not THAT crazy lol. To sum everything up, my sole purpose of making this upgrade is to breathe new life into this amazing gem for one last time. If I can make just ONE person happy and take them back into time with a fun new experience I will consider my mission fulfilled! :)

I would like to thank everybody for their help and inspiring ideas in creating this upgrade. I would also like to give a special thanks to both LordOddeyesama and DarkKobold for their extensive help. Without DarkKobold making the editor, It would have been impossible for me to make this upgrade, And if it wasn't for LordOddeyesama, I wouldn't know what the hell I was doing :lol:

For anybody that plays Shining in the Darkness Battle Edition 2.0, I would love to hear your input on it! Everybody is welcome to share their adventure and experiences here! With the high difficulty, I'm sure there will be some hilarious moments!

Last but Certainly not least... Helpful TIPS!!!

1. Always be prepared, Especially for event monsters like Kaiserkrab, Chestbeak, Etc. These monsters are much stronger then you last remember and are awaiting revenge for the last time you beat them! Carry healing Items!
2. Monster Drops are different! Muddle can be very helpful here!
3. Items also have different properties. Pay close attention to how some of the items work in battle and how they affect your stats. For added fun, Find you favorite item combination that works for you in the game!
4. Monsters get stronger FAST, and will eat you alive if you don't keep gaining levels.
5. Save frequently. While I have glitch tested the game extensively, I also added a few things at the last moment, so save frequently just to be safe.
6. Don't get too upset if you die frequently, I personally died several times while testing the game and playing through it. In fact, If you can beat the ENTIRE game without dying once, I will declare you the "True Shining Knight". If you don't like hard games, you may want to avoid this one.
7. Items are much more expensive, So save up your gold!

Thanks again for showing interest in my topic everyone, and I hope you have as much fun playing it as I did. I would love to see if anybody can actually beat this! :excited:
I would like to try this version but i dont know how to open the .ips file you gave us?
AirRandom

Post by AirRandom »

Hi! Resurrecting an old thread here. I just finished this version of the game yesterday. I enjoyed the hell out of it!! This game was a staple of my childhood, and I've replayed it about 20 times in the past 30 years. This version is going to be my go-to for replays going forward; the original version of the game is just too easy now.
Feedback!
I don't know if it was just a lucky drop, but I got the Dream Blade from the Guardian on the section of L4 accessible via rope from L3. Holy crap that made the whole game a LOT easier. Between that, the Super Flail (I was wondering who carried that in this version, but then a Bildblok just gave it to me on its own!), and the Hex Whip, my team was pretty unstoppable.

I really liked how the natural progression of the game landed me at level 99 across the board right as I approached Dark Sol. There really wasn't any grinding to get there. And I loved how level 5 contained a revue of versions of the enemies from all levels of the game; I was especially tickled to see the Venom version of Killerbee there. The enemies at the end were even challenging enough at level 99. Awesome.

Out of curiosity, were you able to create new enemies using existing sprites and a different color map? At first I thought you might have used the Japanese or European version's monster set (Dark Widow was the first surprise), but as the game progressed, the variety of monsters (and their appearances) seemed too wide to have come from an existing game.

I'm sure I'll discover more about the other revamped items in the game on further replays. Looking forward to it!
Very, very well done! Thank you for this!