Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Off-Topic Forums General Chatter
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Obscure Sega MegaDrive Games #3

Same as first two, except it's good and a bonus round

Want to talk about something other than Shining Force? Go ahead!

Which obscure game do you wish to play on Sega MegaDrive? Also, pick one you don't wanna XD

Chakan: The Forever Man
29%
Comix Zone
29%
Barney's Hide and Seek
24%
Crystal's Pony Tale
18%

Total votes : 17

Obscure Sega MegaDrive Games #3

Postby ZethaPonderer » Sun Jan 29 2017 8:07am

Alright it seems that this whole obscure game polling shenanigan that I began can go forever so, I might as well make this my final post. If you want me to keep this schtick going then just PM me. Otherwise, this is the final poll for which obscure game do you wish to play for the Sega MegaDrive. Also, a bonus round where I throw in an obscure game that you don't want to play at all on the Sega MegaDrive.

This is how the poll is going to work. You have two votes this time around to cast on (re-votes are finally allowed unlike the last time). Pick one that you want to play and one that you don't.

Chakan: The Forever Man was an underrated platforming action game. You play as a cool dual sword wielding Skeleton warrior Chakan living an immortal life and doing everything he can to die by beating The Grim Reaper himself after evil has been eradicated. Yeah the game's plot is not original, but the gameplay is definitely something. The atmosphere reeks of mystery, horror, and fear. You can perform many cool tricks with your dual swords and slash monsters as you fight supernatural creatures. Game is ball-busting hard and I don't think I've beaten the game legit without using cheat codes. This is a great obscure gem. I don't think there is a re-release of this game at all. Only on the Sega MegaDrive and Game Gear will you ever play this game again.

Comix Zone is a great action game with some platforming here and there. This is truly an underrated gem on the Sega MegaDrive that at the very least got re-released so it might not get the most votes, but who cares it's still fun and just as hard as Chakan: The Forever Man. I couldn't even beat this game just as much as Chakan (made it to level 3 before I got killed). Kick@$$ 90's story, great beat 'em up, and just love the comic book style of this game.

For which of these games I would play, it's tough, but I would go for Chakan as that game deserves to be re-released on new platforms. Preferably an HD remake and game balancing, Sega could potentially make money off of this. Or not and just stick to Bayonetta and Sonic. Whatever works for you at this point Sega :( . But please vote away which one do you want to play and explain why?

As for the other two obscure games, I'll say this. Yes I played both Barney's Hide and Seek and Crystal's Pony Tale when I was a wee boy :blush:. If I wanted to choose my vote right now as to which game I don't want to play it would be Barney's Hide and seek because at least in Crystal's Pony Tale you can lose in this game if you don't get enough horseshoes to complete the level. Plus, I like the wizard in this game as he's the only GOOD thing at all in this saccharine sugar-coated technicolor vomit. You just can't die... ever in Barney's Hide & Seek. What good is a game if you can't even lose? I wouldn't mind playing Crystal's Pony Tale as this obscure gem shows Sega despite making games full of blood & gore can be a real softy with games like these :).

If you vote, I'll tell my little secret from the first poll.

Edit: Thanks *Earl* for correcting the plot of Chakan: The Forever Man. I did play the game as a child along with Comix Zone and I didn't really get the jist of the plot so I corrected my mistake.

Also, could you guys let me know upfront as to which game you don't wanna play just so you be all clear since this poll has only 1 color option.
Last edited by ZethaPonderer on Sun Jan 29 2017 9:07pm, edited 2 times in total.
ZethaPonderer

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Obscure Sega MegaDrive Games #3

Postby Kaihaku » Sun Jan 29 2017 5:41pm

Crystal's Pony Tale. :thumbsup:
The Once and Future Kai
"The quick brown vox jumps ofer the lazy dog"
The Once and Future Kai
"The quick brown vox jumps ofer the lazy dog"
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Earl » Sun Jan 29 2017 6:34pm

Chakan already was immortal via deal with the devil. That's why you can keep getting killed in the game without having to worry about lives or continues.

The point of Chakan was that he had gotten sick of living forever, and he wanted to finally die. But his immortality was good until evil was eradicated. If you battle through everything and make it to the end (which is a monumental bitch and a half)...

WARNING: SPOILER!
Earl

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Corsair » Sun Jan 29 2017 8:45pm

Corsair

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby ZethaPonderer » Sun Jan 29 2017 10:04pm

Thanks for your recommendation there Corsair, but I don't want to confuse viewers with the way how I set up the poll so maybe some other time if somebody decides to PM me about doing another poll of this.

Anyway let me just reveal my secret of why I'm doing this whole polling nonsense. To remind people and Ex-Sega Fans that not only was Sega a respectable company for it's time, but how their dedication to challenge Nintendo made me a gamer. Also, I want to share my personal experience of how I went from a Sega Fan to an Ex-Sega Fan.

I originally lived in Pakistan, Islamabad and I was just 5 years old. There was alot of illegal black marketing going around in my native country where the markets couldn't afford the consoles legitimately so they have to resort to making illegal CD copies where they distributed all of the ROMs of these retro games that I grew up with in an emulated format.

Based on how this story is going, yes I did grew up playing these games from the 90s and 2006 (ending it on the Gameboy Advance), but for all the wrong reasons XD. So, I didn't even know what a video game console was with the exception of the Gameboy Advance which my cousin gave to me as a gift since he lives in USA. I used only PC to play most of my games emulated with it. Also, I played Diablo 2 and Age of Empires 1 and 2 (I have the collector's edition of both AOE1 and 2 respectively). The SNES, Sega MegaDrive and PC games made me a video gamer you see, but ever since I arrived here in USA from 2008, I still go with emulation since that's the format that I grew up with despite being illegal.

Someday, if I have the financial means to buy what I want I would like to buy all of these games if I can legitimately. However, I soon became an Ex-Sega Fan as I noticed how backwards this company was going and how I can't even begin to describe my anger and frustration throughout the whole Shining Force copyright mess they did on Youtube. I miss TotalBiscuit's (aka TotalHalibut originally on Youtube) playthrough of SF3. Because of that I just lost my respect for Sega. :(

Honestly, I feel like my life as a gamer is equivalent to an illegally born child. This is not how it's supposed to happen, but oh well. I'll correct my mistake by trying to buy most of them someday so wish me luck.

So yeah, that's my story of why I did this whole polling thing and hope you all had fun reading this. :)
ZethaPonderer

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaos Wizard » Tue Jan 31 2017 10:59am

I'm going to go with Chakan. I know I've played it but it's been a really long time. Comic Zone I played a few years back with another Genesis collection, and it was cool back in the day too.

My pass? Barney's Hide and Seek. Sounds like some kind of pedo-nightmare.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby DomingoRules! » Thu Feb 16 2017 7:23am

Definitely Comix Zone. It's probably one of my favorite Genesis games that I hardly ever play, and the only other game on this list that I've played is Crystal's Pony Tale. I have seen gameplay footage of Chakan before, and it doesn't look bad, but based on what I've seen I think I'd rather stick with Comix Zone.

Also, since you seem to be suggesting that this'll be the last poll, I'd like to throw out there that my all-time favorite obscure (at least I think it's obscure, since I never hear anybody talk about it) Genesis game is Ranger X. Love that game, and even though it's stupidly easy for me, I find myself revisiting it more regularly than many of my other old games.

I didn't use my second vote, since voting negatively is different than voting positively. If I'm going to be negative, I'd rather at least know something about all the options, which I don't.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Daria » Fri Feb 17 2017 6:07pm

I had Chakan for the Gear Gear and hated it. Maybe the Genesis version is better (probably a guarantee) but I'll vote for Comix Zone on presentation alone.
Daria

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Moondog » Fri Mar 24 2017 7:35pm

played them both on the carts, both great but both hard as hell without cheats, especially Chakan.
Moondog

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Return to General Chatter