Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Off-Topic Forums General Chatter
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Obscure Sega Megadrive Games #1

Self-Explanatory, test to see which obscure game do you wish to play

Want to talk about something other than Shining Force? Go ahead!

Which obscure role-playing Sega Megadrive game do you wish to play? #1

Landstalker
33%
The Immortal
67%

Total votes : 9

Obscure Sega Megadrive Games #1

Postby ZethaPonderer » Wed Jan 25 2017 5:04am

There are many obscure games for the Sega Megadrive. So, I just want to start out my first poll creation here to see which obscure game do we all wish to play legitimately on the actual hardware and why? I'll start out small and simple, but will soon release more polls about this topic. #1 is which obscure action role-playing game do you wish to play and why?

My vote goes for Landstalker (never played it and it looks much fun to play than Sonic 3D Blast). The Immortal looks like a fascinating game for it's time. Pretty freaky the creepy atmosphere and the gore factor of how your character dies in The Immortal. Even Mortal Kombat wasn't this gory compared to this.
ZethaPonderer

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Obscure Sega Megadrive Games #1

Postby Stordarth » Wed Jan 25 2017 6:41am

I'm going to say The Immortal.

Played them both.

Finished Landstalker twice.

In The Immortal I kept getting stuck on the pentagram with the gems because unless you put them on the EXACT RIGHT PIXEL sod all happens.
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Dandy » Wed Jan 25 2017 7:34am

I'd love to play the Immortal again, great game. i remember playing and beating it on two different systems. Sega and maybe PC, can't recollect. For it's time though, amazing game.
Dandy

Postby Chaos Wizard » Wed Jan 25 2017 8:52pm

Again, probably The Immortal as I've played Landstalker a number of times, but I'm not sure I have ever played The Immortal.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby Earl » Wed Jan 25 2017 9:50pm

The Immortal.

Because of the actual hardware thing. f*ck all those f*cking jumps in Landstalker. I hardly want to do that with savestates. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic game, just the frustration gets to me.
Earl

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Thu Jan 26 2017 1:45am

"Let's make an isometric game with platforms, and absolutely no shadows, so that players have no idea whether or not the platforms actually exist!"

"BRILLIANT!"
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby ZethaPonderer » Thu Jan 26 2017 2:31am

Alright, just checking the poll and wow did not expect this :eyebrow: . I was doing some research on Landstalker and found out it was made by the same company that made the Shining series which is pretty cool so this game is almost like a spiritual predecessor to Shining Soul I and II (to some extent). I might try it out someday (not right now, playing SF3)

Truth be told I did play The Immortal when I was a child (7 years) and boy was it damaging to my naive innocent psyche. I could barely end the first level of this game. The tunnel worms were enough to wet my pants in sleep :shock: . Thank goodness I have not reached level 5 where you have to use a sonar device to navigate the floor filled with these creatures. And level 6 made me sympathize my sister's irrational fear of spiders. Cause this level just makes me want to kill every single spider I see. :angry:

Still working on my next poll though (Coming soon and I have a good reason for why I'm doing this). Won't tell, it's a secret and I'll reveal it when it's over :shifty:

Edit: Just adding the fact that I'll reveal the secret when it's over.
ZethaPonderer

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Earl » Thu Jan 26 2017 3:07am

At least when you screw up in The Immortal, those death animations are pretty great.
Earl

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Thu Jan 26 2017 6:17am

ZethaPonderer wrote:Alright, just checking the poll and wow did not expect this :eyebrow: . I was doing some research on Landstalker and found out it was made by the same company that made the Shining series which is pretty cool so this game is almost like a spiritual predecessor to Shining Soul I and II (to some extent). I might try it out someday (not right now, playing SF3)

Truth be told I did play The Immortal when I was a child (7 years) and boy was it damaging to my naive innocent psyche. I could barely end the first level of this game. The tunnel worms were enough to wet my pants in sleep :shock: . Thank goodness I have not reached level 5 where you have to use a sonar device to navigate the floor filled with these creatures. And level 6 made me sympathize my sister's irrational fear of spiders. Cause this level just makes me want to kill every single spider I see. :angry:

Still working on my next poll though (Coming soon and I have a good reason for why I'm doing this). Won't tell, it's a secret and I'll reveal it when it's over :shifty:

Edit: Just adding the fact that I'll reveal the secret when it's over.

Yeah, that's why most of ther votes are for The Immortal: we've all already played Landstalker a ton.

And you're right about it being made by the creators of Shining Force. It was originally intended to be a part of the Shining series proper, and was once title Shining Rogue, but they changed the minds in early development, which IIRC was due to a rights dispute between Sega and Camelot? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby MXC » Thu Jan 26 2017 1:53pm

Stor recently gave me shit for not playing Landstalker. I checked out two screenshots, realized it was basically the origin of Dark Savior (spiritually, at least) and decided not to bother. It might be great but I am not a fan of the mechanics.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby DomingoRules! » Thu Feb 16 2017 7:08am

I'd have to say The Immortal, since I'm a total sucker for challenging games, and I've never played it. I've played Landstalker quite a few times, and in this case I'd rather try something new, even though I've never actually beaten Landstalker.

How much of a sucker am I for challenging games? Well, a few months ago I went about trying to finally beat NES Ninja Gaiden for the first time (which I eventually managed). During one failed attempt, it took about two or three straight hours of losing at the final stage alone before the thrill of failure started turning to mild annoyance. In the end, I quit not because of frustration, but because I needed to get to bed.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Daria » Fri Feb 17 2017 6:04pm

Stordarth wrote:"Let's make an isometric game with platforms, and absolutely no shadows, so that players have no idea whether or not the platforms actually exist!"

"BRILLIANT!"

This forum had me expecting the worst of Landstalker for YEARS. When I actually got around to playing it last year I was really surprised to find not only did I love it - but it wasn't even that hard. The worst "shadow" offenders were always for the optional stuff - like extra heart containers. But story progression was totally do-able.
Daria

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby DomingoRules! » Sat Feb 18 2017 10:00pm

Daria wrote:But story progression was totally do-able.

Until the PTSD induction of the Forest Maze. lol
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Moondog » Fri Mar 24 2017 7:32pm

played them both on the carts, finished Landstalker but Immortal was hard as nails.
Moondog

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby DomingoRules! » Fri Mar 24 2017 8:21pm

Moondog wrote:Immortal was hard as nails.

Something I hope to someday experience. :excited:
DomingoRules!

Shining Legend
Shining Legend