Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Off-Topic Forums General Chatter
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Experimental Alzheimer’s Drug Regrows Human Teeth

That's some side effect...

Want to talk about something other than Shining Force? Go ahead!

Experimental Alzheimer’s Drug Regrows Human Teeth

Postby Kaihaku » Tue Jan 10 2017 7:09pm

And here I thought that we'd have to wait for medical nanites to restore teeth.

A Drug Meant for Alzheimer’s Treatment Regrows Human Teeth
Goodbye, cavities. So long, fillings and dental drills. You may soon be replaced by a tooth-growing drug.

Researchers at King’s College released a study today stating they’ve discovered a medicine that can prompt teeth to regrow over cavities or injuries. The study was published this week in Scientific Reports.

Researchers realized that an experimental Alzheimer’s drug called Tideglusib had the side effect of encouraging dentin growth, which is the bony part of the tooth made of calcified tissue. It makes up most of the tooth, just above the pulp but under the hard enamel.

The simplicity of the method means it could be used in a variety of dental settings and could be rolled out relatively easy, said study author Paul Sharpe, of King’s College London in a release. Tideglusib, used in clinical trials as a neurological drug as a way to encourage brain cell growth, encouraged the tooth to generate more stem cells and grow dentin over the exposed area, according to the report.

In Alzheimer’s clinical trials, the medicine is taken orally and is thought to fight against dementia-causing mutations. It hones in on tau proteins, which are found in neurons and other parts of the body. When applied to teeth, Tideglusib stops a form of tau protein from doing its job—to stop dentin production in the tooth.

Normally, a tooth would only grow a tiny layer of dentin over an injury—not nearly enough to save a tooth from needing to be drilled or removed to prevent infection. But when Tideglusib is applied to the injured spot on the tooth, it blocks the enzyme that usually stops dentin growth, glycogen synthase kinase (GSK-3), and the whole spot heals up by itself.

The King’s College researchers put the enzyme inhibitor on biodegradable collagen sponges, stuck them in subjects’ teeth where cavities had formed and found they healed up without the need for any drilling or filling.

“Using a drug that has already been tested in clinical trials for Alzheimer’s disease provides a real opportunity to get this dental treatment quickly into clinics,” Sharpe said in a release.
The Once and Future Kai
"The quick brown vox jumps ofer the lazy dog"
The Once and Future Kai
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Experimental Alzheimer’s Drug Regrows Human Teeth

Postby MXC » Tue Jan 10 2017 7:33pm

This is pretty cool. I hope it can actually be used (and effectively), especially as someone with weak teeth.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Assassins » Tue Jan 10 2017 8:02pm

Whoa
The failblood.

On the battlefield, when everything is chaos/ you have nothing but the way you feel, your strategy and a sword/ just think of the life you'll have together after the war
The failblood.

On the battlefield, when everything is chaos/ you have nothing but the way you feel, your strategy and a sword/ just think of the life you'll have together after the war
Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Postby Chaos Wizard » Tue Jan 10 2017 9:43pm

That's pretty awesome. I wonder if that will be a more cost effective solution than the whole bone build up/bridge, or anchor/percaline solutions?

Funny thing, I recently had a wisdom tooth extracted because it had literally broken. I now have a new tooth coming in. WTF, that is some mutant shit.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby Assassins » Tue Jan 10 2017 9:59pm

The shark...with his mutant power to regrow teeth
The failblood.

The failblood.

Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Postby Omega Entity » Tue Jan 10 2017 10:30pm

Chaos Wizard wrote:That's pretty awesome. I wonder if that will be a more cost effective solution than the whole bone build up/bridge, or anchor/percaline solutions?

Funny thing, I recently had a wisdom tooth extracted because it had literally broken. I now have a new tooth coming in. WTF, that is some mutant shit.

My niece apparently has an entire second set of adult teeth that she'll have to have removed. It's not uncommon in Mexicans, it seems.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
Omega Entity

*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Postby TheUnknownMarine » Wed Jan 11 2017 1:42am

An extremely nice side benefit, but I really really hope they just find the cure for Alzheimer's soon.

Tick tock.
TheUnknownMarine

Master Narrator
Shining Legend

Postby Chaos Wizard » Wed Jan 11 2017 2:28pm

For sure. Seeing my Great-Grandfather go from a sharp witted, mean old dude the kids in his neighborhood didn't want to tangle with (Remind me to recount the time he actually lit a stick of live dynamite to get punk ass teenagers to take their boombox off his wall and f*ck off.) to a feeble, confused shadow of a man.

Despite having a reputation for being meaner than shit and only truly loving one person in his entire life (My great-grandmother) it's a sad thing to happen to anyone, and a fate I would at least say, hardly no one deserves.
Chaos Wizard

Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Postby MXC » Wed Jan 11 2017 2:37pm

My great grandma has it too. I constantly had to remind her my name and relation. Of course, she was also hard of hearing so a lot got lost there but she was a very sweet lady. She couldn't remember half of her family but she didn't lose a step peeling potatoes or playing checkers.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Pingurules » Wed Jan 11 2017 5:34pm

Neat! Hopefully they'll make it cost effective too.

...Oh, what am I wishing for...
For some reason, I find the majority of birds to be irresistibly cute.

SFC RPG: Wins-14 Losses-684 Escapes-57
For some reason, I find the majority of birds to be irresistibly cute.

SFC RPG: Wins-14 Losses-684 Escapes-57
Pingurules

That One Birdman
Shining Hero

Postby Kaihaku » Wed Jan 11 2017 9:01pm

I'm not anticipating that it will be cost efficient for some time (for any treatment - apparently in addition to Alzheimer's and regrowing teeth it can also be used for Autism in teenagers).
The Once and Future Kai
The Once and Future Kai
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Thu Jan 12 2017 2:06am

My wife's gran died from it, and her aunt also has it. Really hoping she doesn't end up developing it.
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby johncipolletta » Sat Feb 04 2017 11:59am

Roses are red, Shrek has a bad breath,
Experimental Alzheimer’s Drug Regrows Human Teeth. :D

Return to General Chatter