General Chatter: An Update on my Dad

Thank you guys

Want to talk about something other than Shining Force? Go ahead!

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Chaos Wizard
Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Re: An Update on my Dad

Post by Chaos Wizard »

I appears to me the immunotherapy attacked and destabilized his blood to where he hasn't been able to receive his last two effusions.

My family called 911 and he's on his way back to the hospital. I'm going to have to see about making a trip to Austin in the very near future because if I wait until June as planned I might be too late.
Earl
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Earl »

Man, sorry to hear things took a turn.
Stordarth
The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Post by Stordarth »

Oh no.

Is there a chance he will stabilise?
Hacks
Milestone: Shining Force 2: Milestone Edition {25/06/11} / 12 Man Marathon {25/06/11}
------
RPG Gallery
LoV-Dark Dominion: Character Stats / Rebel Base Managment / Rebel Base Map/ Spell Damage Calculator

SFCW-A: Durandar, Sedor Silverwing
SFCW Gaiden- Shining Souls: Ragengo Image
MXC
Shining Legend

Post by MXC »

Sorry to hear that, Phill. I hope you can get out there soon.
Cyric
Tyrannosaurus Sex
Shining Legend

Post by Cyric »

:(

This is terrible news....
Founder of SFC's Kids Club - Proudly Brainwashing children since 2004.

Author of The Ballad of Vankar

Initial Owner - Thief Trophy SFCRPGv2

Felix qui potest rerum cognoscere causas...
Noma
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Noma »

Just wanted to say I'm sorry for what you're going through, Phill. My grandfather passed a few years ago from Lung cancer that spread to the lymph nodes. He was really tough, having survived lung cancer twice before. He was a smoker when he was young, but when the cancer first showed up, he hadn't had a cigarette in over 15 years. Sounds similar to your father, from what I've read. He was on death's door the first time around, or so we thought, and then he miraculously pulled through and lived another 25 years and through a second fight with the lung cancer again. Unfortunately, he was too old the third time and his body just couldn't keep going after all that.

I'm saying all this just so you know that nothing is certain. I don't know of all the details going on with your situation at this very moment, but still. The prognosis could be awful, the odds stacked against you, but miracles (for lack of a better term) happen. Keep your chin up, smile for him if he is aware when you see him, positivity does help to keep someone fighting. Good luck to you and your family, you have our support here, too, if or when you need it.
All-Stars Mod: WIP, Revived! Check it out!
Chaos Wizard
Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Post by Chaos Wizard »

Unfortunately at this point treatment is no longer viable. Tuesday marks the 24th Wedding Anniversary of my dad and my Step Mom. I can only imagine what she must be going through, even though she is incredibly positive and brave, emphasizing on how fortunate she has been having had the time that she did. I can only imagine the hurt she must also feel.

Me, I have a hard time bottling it up.
He is the man I wish I was.
Noma
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Noma »

Chaos Wizard wrote:Unfortunately at this point treatment is no longer viable. Tuesday marks the 24th Wedding Anniversary of my dad and my Step Mom. I can only imagine what she must be going through, even though she is incredibly positive and brave, emphasizing on how fortunate she has been having had the time that she did. I can only imagine the hurt she must also feel.

Me, I have a hard time bottling it up.
He is the man I wish I was.
Damn, in that case, I have no words. I'm really sorry dude.
All-Stars Mod: WIP, Revived! Check it out!
Dandy
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Dandy »

Really sorry to hear the bad news Chaos. Wish there was some words I could offer that would help ease what you are going thru. Just get out there and see him and remember all the good times you had with him.
Chaos Wizard
Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Post by Chaos Wizard »

This last week I've spent in Austin, Texas with family and saying our last goodbyes to my dad.

It was truly remarkable to watch him pull himself into moments of lucidity to spend every possible moment with the ones he loves.
He maintained his humor, and his compassion to the very end.

Two of the very last things he did in life before falling to sleep that final time was looking into my eyes while I held his hand and told him it was okay to go, that he had shown us a strength that had defied the logic of the staff given the advanced state of his condition. We shared a smile, and as I reassured him his boys were there with him his last sentence was "I love you boys".

It is terrible that he deteriorated so quickly, and that with so much hope it had to end this way.
But that ultimate love, strength, raw will and determination for the sake of his friends and family just makes me love him even more.
I know I'll see him again, and I know now he is no longer suffering.

I'm glad it ended quickly and I'm glad he passed in his sleep. Those final moments were difficult for everyone, but especially my father. Me and my brother were the last two with him when he died. Before he fell to sleep he squeezed my hand as if to tell me goodbye, and to reassure me.

It's hard not to feel pain over all of this, and I know it will be a struggle moving forward, but I think this trip was god given. We had perfect timing coming in when he was most lucid, and both me and my brother had a night we spent with him, and finally his 24th anniversary shared with his wife before finally passing on into the next life where there is no cancer, no pain, no struggle.

RIP Dad, I love you.
MXC
Shining Legend

Post by MXC »

I'm really sorry to hear that he passed but happy that you were able to make it down there and be with him. I'm glad to see you have a healthy perspective and that he was surrounded by loved ones in his final days. We're all here for you if you want to talk and my inbox is always open if you want some one on one as well.
Cyric
Tyrannosaurus Sex
Shining Legend

Post by Cyric »

Reading your post brought tears to my eyes, Phill. The love you have for your father is inspiring. I am very happy to hear you got to spend time with him before he passed.

My sincerest condolences to you and your family.
-----------

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and may your perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace.
Founder of SFC's Kids Club - Proudly Brainwashing children since 2004.

Author of The Ballad of Vankar

Initial Owner - Thief Trophy SFCRPGv2

Felix qui potest rerum cognoscere causas...
Dandy
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Dandy »

My condolences and sympathy to you and your family Chaos. Glad you were able to spend time with him at the end.
hana_dragon
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by hana_dragon »

So sorry to hear that your Dad passed away CW. I'm glad you got to be with him in the end, and that he knew you and family were with with him. It's hard without a doubt to be that strong. You and your family have my deepest condolences.