Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Off-Topic Forums General Chatter
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Any wrestling fans on the forum?

WWE or other promotions

Want to talk about something other than Shining Force? Go ahead!

Any wrestling fans on the forum?

Postby Moondog » Tue Jun 07 2016 10:26pm

so who's a fan and how long?

favourite wrestlers, matches, whatever?

also what do you think of NXT, and WWE's new 'era'? looks like WWE has finally found their balls again and the crappy PG era is no more, the recent Extreme Rules PPV had thumbtacks involved again which we haven't seen in about 10 years. :)
Moondog

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Any wrestling fans on the forum?

Postby Assassins » Tue Jun 07 2016 11:40pm

I liked Brett Hart and Goldberg but stopped watching awhile ago.
The failblood.

On the battlefield, when everything is chaos/ you have nothing but the way you feel, your strategy and a sword/ just think of the life you'll have together after the war
The failblood.

On the battlefield, when everything is chaos/ you have nothing but the way you feel, your strategy and a sword/ just think of the life you'll have together after the war
Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Postby Earl » Wed Jun 08 2016 4:00am

I picked it up in high school. Most of the kids watched it, so I jumped off the bridge too.

Eddie Guerrero was the best. As a wrestler, he was fine, but all of the physical comedy and antics put him over the top. The guy put on a show. Nobody else has been able to craft a niche like that.

I got to see Daniel Bryan in Cleveland a couple times back when he was in ROH.
That was pretty awesome.
Earl

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Dandy » Wed Jun 08 2016 4:32am

Long time fan, though I stopped watching for a few years at a time. Favorite current wrestlers are Lesnar, Lethal, and Styles. All time favorites are Piper, L.O.D., and Great Muta.

WWE needs to make Smackdown more like the attitude era. Going to a live show, especially the day after Raw, they'd be dumb to have the same content/writing just with a different roster. Though WWE has turned into idiots these days....
Dandy

Postby MXC » Wed Jun 08 2016 3:40pm

I watched during the Attitude Era and the height of WCW. Haven't paid much attention since then but I will buy a WWE game every 5 years or so.
MXC

Shining Legend

Postby Moondog » Wed Jun 08 2016 5:59pm

NXT (WWE's developmental territory, originally Florida Championship Wrestling) is the hottest thing in WWE right now and has been for the last year.

it's Triple H's project and has no bullshit in it, a prime example of less is more, only on for an hour and it's all the talented rookies showcasing their stuff, plus thanks to NXT WWE is hiring wrestling greats from the Indy circuit, Japan and TNA, latest additions include Austin Aries and Shinsuke Nakamura.
Moondog

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Arc_the_Lad » Wed Jun 08 2016 7:24pm

Used to watch a lot, these days I prefer to watch wrestling related stuff, like interviews and such, it's pretty interesting to hear what happened backstage from people like Bret Hart and Rick Martel. Apparently everyone shit in Jerry Lawler's crown when he first joined WWF and Bret found it first and just walked away, "Jerry's problem".

I'll watch clips otherwise, and I'll keep up with results but I won't watch WWF, I did watch NXT a bit though, I might watch more because Nakamura is great and Asuka beating the f*ck out of the models is hilarious.
Its being invaded by the Otherworld.

A world of nightmarish delusions come to life.

My youtube channel of terrible video game talkthroughs.

Arc_the_Lad

Restless Dreams
Shining Legend

Postby Ghostly Jenn » Wed Jun 08 2016 11:03pm

Wrestling is what introduced me to Disturbed honestly. The one song where they got the crowd to stand up and shout or something.

I liked the Undertaker.
I don't know how to be [...]; it doesn't get better and it doesn't get easier. I can't keep lying to myself saying I'm gonna change, I'm poison. I come from poison, I have poison inside me, and I destroy everything I touch. That's my legacy; I have nothing to show for the life that I've lived and I have nobody in my life who's better off for having known me.
I don't know how to be [...]; it doesn't get better and it doesn't get easier. I can't keep lying to myself saying I'm gonna change, I'm poison. I come from poison, I have poison inside me, and I destroy everything I touch. That's my legacy; I have nothing to show for the life that I've lived and I have nobody in my life who's better off for having known me.
Ghostly Jenn

Greetings Traveler
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Thu Jun 09 2016 1:40am

Used to love me some old school WWF (before they got their asses handed to them by a panda and lost their F).

I think my favourite event also happened to be the first video (VHS baby) that I was given: Survivor Series 1989, and in particular, the following fights:

Hulk Hogan, Jake the Snake Roberts and Demolition, vs Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase, Zeus, and the Powers of Pain

Ultimate Warrior, Jim The Anvil Neidhart and The Rockers, vs Haku, The Brain Busters, and Andre the Giant

With special mention to Roddy's Rowdies: Roddy Piper, Superfly Jimmy Snuka, and the Bushwhackers. That team did more biting in one match than I've seen in all other wrestling events that I've watched.
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Moondog » Thu Jun 09 2016 6:10pm

Stordarth wrote:Used to love me some old school WWF (before they got their asses handed to them by a panda and lost their F)

lol yeah WWF was better than WWE, but in the last couple of years it has started getting good again, (2009 - 2012 was bloody dire)

i've only been watching since 1999 but i'm still a fan of the older stuff and even own all 30 (i know there's 32 now lol) Wrestlemanias on DVD, then bluray from 24.

if you still like the old school stuff get the WWE network, that's amazing - every WWE, WCW and ECW PPV plus nearly every episode of Raw and Smackdown amongst a ton of other content (more gets added every day).
Moondog

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Thu Jun 09 2016 9:07pm

Would that I could afford it. :lol:

I did think of one other match that sits as my number one fave: Wrestlemania VI: Hulk Hogan vs Ultimate Warrior, World Heavyweight Title and Intercontinental Title on the line. I don't know how common multi-belt matches are these days, but back then, this was unprecedented.
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Moondog » Thu Jun 09 2016 11:53pm

It's only a tenner a month lol and well worth every penny, it also even has proper old school stuff from AWA, CWF and Smokey Mountain Wrestling among others ( i guess WWE bought up all those promotions too).

Double title matches are quite a rarity, the last one off the top of my head was 2001 but i could be wrong.
Moondog

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Rohan » Fri Jun 10 2016 9:57am

I used to watch WWF in the early 90s all the way through to about 2001 or 2002 (I think it was WWE by then). I stopped because I felt it just wasn't the same anymore as what I used to watch; I didn't get the same enjoyment out of it.

My favourite wrestlers of the earlier days were Tatanka, Hulk Hogan, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Randy Savage, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Undertaker, Andre the Giant, Bret Hart, and Shawn Michaels.

My favourites in the later years of my watching were Chris Jericho, The Rock, Kurt Angle, Mick Foley/Mankind, Kane, Steve Austin, Triple H, and The Acolytes.
Rohan

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Moondog » Fri Jun 10 2016 11:02pm

I always loved Austin, Mick Foley, The Rock and The Hardy Boyz.

Nowadays it's Kevin Owens, he's awesome, good on the mic, funny, and has the most diverse moveset to keep things interesting.
Moondog

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Arc_the_Lad » Tue Jun 14 2016 3:32pm

Me and my one friend were so into wrestling in high school we almost did the backyard wrestling, the stiff shot to my face made me think twice.

Obviously Mankind was our favourite.

Arc_the_Lad

Restless Dreams
Shining Legend

Postby Fonzie » Thu Jun 30 2016 6:46pm

ALL HAIL KNEESUS!!! :-D

Watched in high school, stopped in college, got back into it a couple years ago. Definitely not a hardcore watcher, but I follow the news (thank you Cageside Seats).

Rey Mysterio (Jr.) has always been my favorite, and I'm angry I can't find El Rey Network to watch Lucha Underground. Always been a fan of the cruiserweights (and I cannot wait for Neville to return).

I can't pick a favorite amongst the current crop, though I went apeshit (in a very good way) when I heard about Ambrose winning the title at Money in the Bank. I also hope they eventually put the Women's title on Becky Lynch (probably during a feud with Sasha Banks).
Fonzie

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Assassins » Thu Jun 30 2016 8:25pm

Wrestling RPG on the boards. Yay or nay? Backyard wrestling without the ER visits
The failblood.

The failblood.

Assassins

Mentat
Shining Legend

Postby abig84 » Fri Jul 01 2016 1:44pm

I'm weird where I don't watch it but I'm interested in it. So basically ill watch highlights and whatculturewrestling on youtube but don't really follow it anynore. I think I stopped watching about 10 years ago for me it just became way to much to follow. With raw, smackdown, payperview's and the weekend shows it was like 5+ hours a week you had to watch. Found myself just recording everything, fast forwarding the matches and just watching the story line. Then when I moved and missed a few weeks I just gave up
abig84

Postby Arc_the_Lad » Sat Jul 02 2016 5:17pm

There is a house show here on the 10th so me and my one buddy are thinking of going since we only care to see the guys we like and Roman is suspended right now.

Main event is Seth vs. AJ vs Dean.

Arc_the_Lad

Restless Dreams
Shining Legend

Postby Moondog » Fri Jul 29 2016 9:15pm

Arc_the_Lad wrote:There is a house show here on the 10th so me and my one buddy are thinking of going since we only care to see the guys we like and Roman is suspended right now.

Main event is Seth vs. AJ vs Dean.

i've been to a couple of house shows - WWE in November 2014, then again in November 2015, along with NXT in December 2015.

the atmosphere at a house show is epic, you actually find yourself wanting to boo the heels lol

NXT was the best one i've been to so far, it was great cos me and my Fiancee got to see basically all our faves in the 1 night - Enzo & Cass, Asuka, Bayley, American Alpha, Samoa Joe, Sami Zayn, Finn Balor and Apollo Crews :)
Moondog

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Next

Return to General Chatter