General Chatter: Make sure you don't post Shining Force videos.

Want to talk about something other than Shining Force? Go ahead!

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Kalkano
Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Re: Make sure you don't post Shining Force videos.

Post by Kalkano »

Matasumori wrote:This reminds me of AIM bots, the ones that warned people out of their accounts. Now you all look pretty ridiculous.
? Why do we look ridiculous?
Currently Re-Playing: Shining Force 3

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Moogie
Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

SFC Patron Badges

Post by Moogie »

maybe i should counter-claim for the videos they had removed from the sos campaign YouTube. i mean how is a video of me saying i love shining force in any way their property?

utter gits, whoever is doing this.

you know what, suddenly i feel a strong need to call sega out on this. confront them. they're bullies and they think we're afraid... but really what are they going to do? try to shut the site down? what, SFC and every other fansite on the web by way of such a precedent? if fansites have to go, that's probably half the web gone.

sega, you out there? email me please, what's your problem? how about you try acting like decent human beings instead of treading on the little guys who supported you and got you where you are? talk to us, we come in peace.
Check me out on Twitch! :excited:
http://www.twitch.tv/ShiningMoogie
Arc_the_Lad
Restless Dreams
Shining Legend

Post by Arc_the_Lad »

To be fair we haven't be exactly positive most of this thread, but can you blame us? How would you like it if Bill Murray starting punching people for liking Ghostbusters, while yelling at us to watch Lost in Translation? (which isn't a bad movie either but you get my point)
Its being invaded by the Otherworld.

A world of nightmarish delusions come to life.

My youtube channel of terrible video game talkthroughs.
Parn
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Parn »

In Sega's defense, we did have the audacity to buy their products with legal tender.
Kalkano
Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Post by Kalkano »

Parn wrote:In Sega's defense, we did have the audacity to buy their products with legal tender.
Yeah, I think Sega are the only ones looking ridiculous, right now.

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
MarauderEX

Post by MarauderEX »

The more I search online, the less I have found of SEGA pulling videos for any reason. I know its mostly anecdotal evidence but I have even found some forum posts where SEGA has granted people permission to post game play videos as long as they are not just completely bashing the game.

I have also been keeping a very close eye on my defense of my videos, if it were SEGA, it would be monday afternoon as of posting this, meaning if they are paying someone to flag down videos, that person has received the counter claim notices now. In which case they would have filed suit and I would have got a very nasty letter from youtube/SEGA regarding the future of my channel and I have not as of yet, granted youtube says they have 10 days to respond. However I would figure *if* SEGA were the ones behind it the reasoning would be money so I doubt they would wait the full 10 days.
Kalkano
Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Post by Kalkano »

MarauderEX wrote:The more I search online, the less I have found of SEGA pulling videos for any reason. I know its mostly anecdotal evidence but I have even found some forum posts where SEGA has granted people permission to post game play videos as long as they are not just completely bashing the game.
That makes it sound like someone could be sued, for posting a negative video review, with gameplay clips. That just can't happen.

Parn
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Parn »

I think the most hilarious part about all of this is that we have some kind of f*cked up variation of Poe's Law in effect here. Sega's history with their fans is so bad that we're actually debating whether we've been trolled or not. This wouldn't be an issue with any other game company.
MarauderEX

Post by MarauderEX »

Kalkano wrote:
MarauderEX wrote:The more I search online, the less I have found of SEGA pulling videos for any reason. I know its mostly anecdotal evidence but I have even found some forum posts where SEGA has granted people permission to post game play videos as long as they are not just completely bashing the game.
That makes it sound like someone could be sued, for posting a negative video review, with gameplay clips. That just can't happen.
Well in a way you can, I mean in the game journalism world, how many really bad reviews do you actually see? I mean there are unfavorable reviews, but very very few just outright bashing them. And with how the video game journalism world has been lately there is constant speculation on reviewers being bought if you give good reviews, you get more access to early info or even perks. Whereas you give too bad a review you get blacklisted or even lose your job, like that fellow from eurogamer recently. Also the company will send review copies with some exceptions on what media can and cannot be used in a review (like dont show the end boss, etc.) but that is used with permission, where most lets players do not have permission and open ourselves up to this as it is still technically their IP's

Is it hypocritical to say "you can use our stuff if you say nice things about it, but if you say something bad we will nail you to the wall"? Yes, yes it is but it is a sad reality we live in.
Kalkano
Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Post by Kalkano »

MarauderEX wrote:
Kalkano wrote:
Well in a way you can, I mean in the game journalism world, how many really bad reviews do you actually see? I mean there are unfavorable reviews, but very very few just outright bashing them. And with how the video game journalism world has been lately there is constant speculation on reviewers being bought if you give good reviews, you get more access to early info or even perks. Whereas you give too bad a review you get blacklisted or even lose your job, like that fellow from eurogamer recently. Also the company will send review copies with some exceptions on what media can and cannot be used in a review (like dont show the end boss, etc.) but that is used with permission, where most lets players do not have permission and open ourselves up to this as it is still technically their IP's

Is it hypocritical to say "you can use our stuff if you say nice things about it, but if you say something bad we will nail you to the wall"? Yes, yes it is but it is a sad reality we live in.
I understand that companies can pay off reviewers, and entice them into giving good reviews. I just don't think there's any way they can sue for bad ones. Angry Joe would have been sued by..Sega, by now. lol!

MarauderEX

Post by MarauderEX »

I understand that companies can pay off reviewers, and entice them into giving good reviews. I just don't think there's any way they can sue for bad ones. Angry Joe would have been sued by..Sega, by now. lol!
Well I mean in this case we could be sued for copyright infringement, which is what they would disguise any other lawsuit of a "negative fan review" but again it was anecdotal evidence at best, but people say they have been given permission from SEGA which is why I brought it up, as I have very rarely seen videos taken down by SEGA unless its a day 1 release or shared a copyright with someone else who claimed it.

Also edit as of now, my account has been terminated, so I went from 1 strike to 3, or whoever did file the claims is a legit SEGA employee or at least was able to fool the system enough to take me down
Chaos Wizard
Contemno Repletus
Shining Legend

Post by Chaos Wizard »

As much as I would love to see Moog get legal on some f00s, I wouldn't want them to try and f*ck the site as a counter action.
Moogie
Administrator

SFC Patron Badges

Post by Moogie »

Ditto. I Googled and Googled trying to find reports of Sega cracking down on YouTube videos and found nada.
It seems someone is just out to get us.

Sorry to hear your account got closed down.

I'm going to upload a replacement video to the SOS account - one of my alternative takes on my SOS clip (so they can't argue that I've simply reuploaded the same video - although it will be very similar), and see if that gets pulled. If it does, I shall be counterclaiming.

EDIT:
Just logged in to the SOS account to see there are now 2 counts of copyright infringement, for the following videos:
◦from sega about Shining Force: SOS [051] Christoph, Austria - ShiningForceSOS
Video ID: OWlFscOACsw
◦from sega about Shining Force: SOS [016b] King Bowie, Granseal - ShiningForceSOS
Video ID: _WLka4xGYog
◦from sega about Shining Force: SOS [016] Peter Dale, UK - ShiningForceSOS
Video ID: aPnHsjux76w
◦from sega about Shining Force: SOS [023] Victor, USA - ShiningForceSOS
Video ID: 5NjEHQCVmVY
◦from sega about Shining Force: SOS [056] Whiterose, USA - ShiningForceSOS
Video ID: ct3mek-ImuE
◦from sega about Shining Force: SOS [058] Ashley, UK - ShiningForceSOS
Video ID: hTCFrC9INnE
◦from sega about Shining Force: SOS [001] Moogie, UK - ShiningForceSOS
Video ID: zwqwMDKtB6w
Now, according to the 'copyright school' lesson I had to take on signing in, it says people cannot be copyrighted.
So most of these videos cannot be infringing, right?
Moogie
Administrator

SFC Patron Badges

Post by Moogie »

I would encourage anyone who has had issues with 'Sega' removing their videos to contact YouTube about it, classing it as bullying/harrassment.

I have used this form as it was the only one I could find which allowed me to enter a decription of the 'problem with my account'. I couldn't use the harrassment form as Sega haven't posted any harrassing comments or videos.
https://support.google.com/youtube/bin/ ... =linkissue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If your account has been suspended, use this form:
http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/r ... ntdisabled" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's what I wrote:
Problem with user 'sega':
http://www.youtube.com/user/SEGA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This user has been abusing the video reporting function to automatically have videos removed for 'copyright infringement' which do not infringe any copyrights.

Please refer to the videos removed from the ShiningForceSOS channel and review them yourselves to see that they are not in breach of copyright:

◦from sega about Shining Force: SOS [051] Christoph, Austria - ShiningForceSOS
Video ID: OWlFscOACsw
◦from sega about Shining Force: SOS [016b] King Bowie, Granseal - ShiningForceSOS
Video ID: _WLka4xGYog
◦from sega about Shining Force: SOS [016] Peter Dale, UK - ShiningForceSOS
Video ID: aPnHsjux76w
◦from sega about Shining Force: SOS [023] Victor, USA - ShiningForceSOS
Video ID: 5NjEHQCVmVY
◦from sega about Shining Force: SOS [056] Whiterose, USA - ShiningForceSOS
Video ID: ct3mek-ImuE
◦from sega about Shining Force: SOS [058] Ashley, UK - ShiningForceSOS
Video ID: hTCFrC9INnE
◦from sega about Shining Force: SOS [001] Moogie, UK - ShiningForceSOS
Video ID: zwqwMDKtB6w

When I signed in to my account I was told that I had to learn about copyright. One of the key points here was that PEOPLE cannot be copyrighted.

The majority of the ShiningForceSOS videos which were reported for copyright infringement were videos of people. More specifically, fans of the Shining Force series introducing themselves and saying they love Shining Force. I do not see how Sega can have these videos of individuals making a non-offensive statement pulled nor how they can claim to own any of our faces or voices. Of course, being a big company they think we won't counterclaim for risk of the costs involved.

It is not only me they have done this to, but other Shining Force fans have been targetted too.

Perhaps 2 of the videos they pulled could be considered infringing as someone had made some animations using Shining Force sprites (and indeed, created a sprite of themselves) - although technically this is also a piece of fanwork and is not a clip directly from any of the games. Even if it was, it should fall under fair use as it was such a short clip.

I would dearly love to know what entitles Sega to get these strikes against me. Please, please will you actually look at the videos they had removed and tell me how they can claim to own my face & voice as well as those of other fans? I did not say anything negative about Sega. I simply said "Hi Camelot, I'm Moogie. I'm 29 I live in the UK and I love Shining Force". Tell me, how can they pull that?! They don't own me.

Thank you for your time. I expect you'll be receiving similar reports from other users who are being targetted in this way. I believe it is due to a particular chap at Sega Japan who has taken a dislike to non-Japanese Shining fans who prefer the classic series of games to his new installments. This kind of behaviour on Sega's part is atrocious.

My apologies if this is not the correct form to use but it was the only one I could find.

regards,
Mrs Taylor
Arc_the_Lad
Restless Dreams
Shining Legend

Post by Arc_the_Lad »

I've been watching my videos and I still have no word from Sega, I've been hit on my Silent Hill videos and that's it, only because Silent hill is banned in some countries.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL56C98AB928678971" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I said before when you add a commentary or something like that, they have a hard time hitting you with copyright, but as you can see in my playlist, I have a video of the intro to the game with NO voice. I'll watch to see if I get attacked on that video, which I will fight, since S*ny has warned me and merely asked that I acknowledge that the material is indeed theirs, I don't see how Sega can just go straight to BAN NOW.

You can also watch the talkthrough if you want, but I haven't touched it in a long time since I'm bad.
Its being invaded by the Otherworld.

A world of nightmarish delusions come to life.

My youtube channel of terrible video game talkthroughs.
Century
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Century »

MarauderEX wrote:Also edit as of now, my account has been terminated, so I went from 1 strike to 3, or whoever did file the claims is a legit SEGA employee or at least was able to fool the system enough to take me down
And is there a process of account recovery for you, here? Do you even know why they terminated your account? Like some kind of message saying precisely what law, or what bit of a law, you infringed?
Ansa
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Ansa »

Perhaps we should start a new campaign, make videos about what Sega has done (not bashing them in any way just stating the facts as we know them) post those on youtube and perhaps either requesting them to get there heads out of there asses or a boycott.

Honestly at this point I just wish Sega would go bankrupt lose all there properties and maybe then camelot could buy the rights to the shining series and make a new one for the current consoles.

Yeah its a dream but seriously I don't think I'm going to buy anything from Sega ever again.
MarauderEX

Post by MarauderEX »

Century wrote:
MarauderEX wrote:Also edit as of now, my account has been terminated, so I went from 1 strike to 3, or whoever did file the claims is a legit SEGA employee or at least was able to fool the system enough to take me down
And is there a process of account recovery for you, here? Do you even know why they terminated your account? Like some kind of message saying precisely what law, or what bit of a law, you infringed?
It doesnt seem like it. Moogie has posted the link to the account inquiry, but all it has given me is an automated response as to why the account was closed. As to the reason why it was closed I hit the "3 strikes" clause, meaning 3 strikes of copyright violation or other ToS violations the account is terminated. When this started the 3 videos of mine that were originally flagged seemed to count as 1 strike which I filed a counter claim but it takes 10-14 business days and yesterday 2 more videos were flagged (both shining the holy ark videos) which each one counted as a separate strike and I was not given any chance to appeal or counter claim.

My only hope is that the original counter claim is found in my favor as the troll cannot show adequate ownership rights or even respond as the email address used in the claim doesnt seem to do anything. Causing the first strike to be removed and the account re-opened allowing me to appeal the other 2 as well, but at this point I am doubtful
Moogie
Administrator

SFC Patron Badges

Post by Moogie »

Maybe you can use the other link to contact them, it doesn't seem to give an automated reply of any kind so here's hoping a human reads it!
Century
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Century »

MarauderEX wrote:
Century wrote:
It doesnt seem like it. Moogie has posted the link to the account inquiry, but all it has given me is an automated response as to why the account was closed. As to the reason why it was closed I hit the "3 strikes" clause, meaning 3 strikes of copyright violation or other ToS violations the account is terminated. When this started the 3 videos of mine that were originally flagged seemed to count as 1 strike which I filed a counter claim but it takes 10-14 business days and yesterday 2 more videos were flagged (both shining the holy ark videos) which each one counted as a separate strike and I was not given any chance to appeal or counter claim.

My only hope is that the original counter claim is found in my favor as the troll cannot show adequate ownership rights or even respond as the email address used in the claim doesnt seem to do anything. Causing the first strike to be removed and the account re-opened allowing me to appeal the other 2 as well, but at this point I am doubtful
Ah, ok, I got the impression from your last post that "Sega" (or whoever it is) had responded to your counter-claim, and it was that response which had caused your account to be closed down. It's almost a relief that it's due to other purported infringements... Like you say, if this is trolling, or anything, then I imagine the prospects now would (should?!) be better for your account to be reinstated.