General Chatter: Make sure you don't post Shining Force videos.

Want to talk about something other than Shining Force? Go ahead!

Moderator: Shining Moderators

MarauderEX

Re: Make sure you don't post Shining Force videos.

Post by MarauderEX »

TotalBiscuit wrote:Since my counter-claim was denied shit has just got real. I've called in TheGameStation to deal with it, since that's kinda their job as they partner me. They're taking this up directly with Youtube as well as Sega. I'll keep you posted as to what's going on.
Please do keep us informed, because on the chance that it is not legit, I will fight tooth and nail to get my channel back (tho it seems unlikely unless your lawyers really rip a new one and youtube cancels all the claims made). And on the case that it is legit I will just have to make a new channel starting from scratch and avoiding anything SEGA related
Marky
Attending Physician
Shining Legend

Post by Marky »

TotalBiscuit wrote:Since my counter-claim was denied shit has just got real. I've called in TheGameStation to deal with it, since that's kinda their job as they partner me. They're taking this up directly with Youtube as well as Sega. I'll keep you posted as to what's going on.

You know, General Chatter is open to both SFC members and nonmembers (they can view it). If it is anybody (a SEGA affiliate from Japan or America) or even a 3rd party targeting members on this course, the individual(s) could have easily viewed the posts in this topic, and now could be picking off members one-by-one. I mean, this Biscuit guy was vocal and even had some means to counter these claims against YouTube. Now, he gets shafted while other quieter members are affected, but to a lesser degree than the Biscuit.

Right now, I have much speculation, but the possibilities I inferred in my previous short posts still hold:
1.) Sega Affiliate (from possibly SOJ) who does not like SFC
2.) Another 3rd party who is targeting SFC members

One question, to file one of the YouTube suits, can you just file a claim against somebody and provide your email to identify you, yourself, the accuser?
MarauderEX

Post by MarauderEX »

Marky wrote:

You know, General Chatter is open to both SFC members and nonmembers (they can view it). If it is anybody (a SEGA affiliate from Japan or America) or even a 3rd party targeting members on this course, the individual(s) could have easily viewed the posts in this topic, and now could be picking off members one-by-one. I mean, this Biscuit guy was vocal and even had some means to counter these claims against YouTube. Now, he gets shafted while other quieter members are affected, but to a lesser degree than the Biscuit.

Right now, I have much speculation, but the possibilities I inferred in my previous short posts still hold:
1.) Sega Affiliate (from possibly SOJ) who does not like SFC
2.) Another 3rd party who is targeting SFC members

One question, to file one of the YouTube suits, can you just file a claim against somebody and provide your email to identify you, yourself, the accuser?
It could be someone targeting SFC members, but I was one of the first hit and my only involvement with SFC was peripheral at best before all this started. It had been suggested I become a member here by one of my viewers and I had used one of the translation patches for my scenarios 2 and 3 lets play. So if it started as general targeting it seems to have moved onto anything video related of Holy ark and SF3 to cover and make the situation seem more legitimate perhaps, however soundtracks for both games are still up on youtube as of posting this, as well as other shining series lets plays so it is still a random target of "shining force" infringement as the claims are listed.

To file a claim, you click the flag video option, one of the options is violation of my copyright, in which you fill out a form claiming you are the copyright holder and you wish the video removed. You do have to show some sort of verification but its nothing that cant be faked as they do not follow up unless a counter claim is made, and even then youtube doesnt do much unless the person who made the claim comes back saying they have filed suit.
Moogie
Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

SFC Patron Badges

Post by Moogie »

When was your first flag?

The SF:SOS flags started in August, which I think puts those as the earliest - meaning it could well be an anti-SFC thing. The first ones which got flagged on SF:SOS were Stordarth's SF2 hack video and Christoph's SF3 hack video (both in support of the SOS campaign). After that it was my clip, Ashley's (from GamesTM magazine) clip and a couple of other personal SOS clips.

Apologies if your flags pre-date that, but to me this suggests it started out as targetting SFSOS supporters, and therefore SFC.
Check me out on Twitch! :excited:
http://www.twitch.tv/ShiningMoogie
MarauderEX

Post by MarauderEX »

My flags were last thrusday, so Not very long. But I was the first channel to be taken down by this. And my first video flagged was a Holy ark video I believe. So still even if this was targeted at SFC members, it quickly branched out to others for peripheral connections.

were the flags on the SOS campaign also done by the same person at sega? or was it another? that may also be a clue either way. If it was the same person then they may have targeted other to cover their tracks, if not it may be the same troll with a new bag of tricks.
Moogie
Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

SFC Patron Badges

Post by Moogie »

It's the same person - 'sega', same email address etc.
sulfuroxp (another SFCer) had his Shining video channel on YouTube taken down a month or so ago by the same user.

*searches*
http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/v ... 0&p=616341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Actually it looks like his channel was the first to be hit as this happened in June - and was mostly from the more recent Shining titles - Feather, Hearts, Blade etc.
Check me out on Twitch! :excited:
http://www.twitch.tv/ShiningMoogie
Salibu
Fighting Logic with Confusion
Shining Legend

Post by Salibu »

Someone is doing a mass targetting?

It must be lightside, that guy could have a conversation with 30 people at the same time and individual response from sentence by sentence shows the insanity. Its Lightside people.

On the serious side of this..
Its one of two things.
1. Sega: Great example of a company going out of their boundries. Which I would warn people on in other topics when it comes to slippery slopes of a company abusing their reach.
2. Its a troll...which means the next time one of these banned accounts threatens us with mass hacking skillz...be careful!!!!
Annual User ID Battle Creator:
2011 User ID Champion - Stordarth
2011 ToC Winner - Moogie > Stordarth
2012 User ID Champion - Rusty
2012 ToC Winner - Stordarth > Moogie > Rusty
2012 Tag Team Winner - Kaihaku / Noma
2012 Villain Contest - Galm
2013 User ID Champion - MXC
2013 ToC Winner - Stordarth > Moogie > MXC> Rusty
gritzcolin
In the morning
Shining Hero

Post by gritzcolin »

Salibu wrote:Someone is doing a mass targetting?

It must be lightside, that guy could have a conversation with 30 people at the same time and individual response from sentence by sentence shows the insanity. Its Lightside people.

On the serious side of this..
Its one of two things.
1. Sega: Great example of a company going out of their boundries. Which I would warn people on in other topics when it comes to slippery slopes of a company abusing their reach.
2. Its a troll...which means the next time one of these banned accounts threatens us with mass hacking skillz...be careful!!!!
Honestly with the reception that the SOS campaign got from SoJ I tend to lean towards them as the responsible party, especially in light of TB's counter claim being rejected so promptly.
MD BROS 4 LIFE!!!
Omega Entity
*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Post by Omega Entity »

Salibu, not the same thing going on here as the MD discussion. This is dealing more with IP and property rights, and how strict or lenient they want to be about them, more than anything else.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD

Any game I'm in should be considered a dating game.

SFCW Cailin's Character Sheet

SFCW Fiona's Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet
Salibu
Shining Legend

Post by Salibu »

To put it bluntly...what SEGA is doing is no different to me than a company firing people for things that have nothing to do with the company.

I am merely making a point. I completely agree with Parn and think this is a bush league and think its retarded.

But I am also of the mindframe that businesses shouldnt be overstepping their boundries.
Salibu, not the same thing going on here as the MD discussion. This is dealing more with IP and property rights, and how strict or lenient they want to be about them, more than anything else.
I get that...but let me ask you...do they have legal grounds?

Because this looks to me like someone complaining about a company doing something that even though its douchebaggery...is their legal right.
So my point is...why is it wrong for a company to take action for something that is their legal right but its ok for a company to fire/hire people based on non-illegal things.

Its relevant because both topics were made by the same person. I am merely trying to understand why he thinks its ok for a company to overstep in one area...and not others...
Omega Entity
*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Post by Omega Entity »

Depends on which country's laws you're going by - that of the owner of said material, or that of where it's published. This is that murky area, as far as deciding whose laws Youtube should abide by.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD

Any game I'm in should be considered a dating game.

SFCW Cailin's Character Sheet

SFCW Fiona's Character Sheet

SC Character Sheet
Tatsumakisen

Post by Tatsumakisen »

I only just realised this issue featured on eurogamer as well (sorry no link).

With regards to the specific targeting of SFS users, I only came into contact with this forum after my video was flagged so I'm not too sure about that to be honest. I am however grateful though as it introduced this community to me; a community I wouldn't otherwise have joined were it not for what transpired. So thanks at least Mr Sega man for flagging my video :excited:
Parn
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Parn »

Salibu wrote:I am merely trying to understand why he thinks its ok for a company to overstep in one area...and not others...
One situation deals with addressing a very real problem: racism.

This situation is dealing with what problem, exactly? What is Sega currently losing by having these videos continue to exist on Youtube? When you have a strong reason that is on close footing to the issue of racism, then I will be more than happy to continue this tangent with you.
Bifrostbear
Zaphod Beeblebrox's Fifth Cousin Thrice Removed
Administrator

Post by Bifrostbear »

Let's keep the md stuff in md. (Is that like putting the x back in xmas?) They are indeed separate issues IMHO - so let's drop it - no final shots from anyone please - just do it.
If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.

"I live now in a world of ghosts, a prisoner of my dreams."

"Republicans and Democrats debating is like two guys arguing about who is gonna pay for the drinks in a bar on the Titanic."
Salibu
Shining Legend

Post by Salibu »

Fair enough Bear man.
Kalkano
Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Post by Kalkano »

Another negative impact of this:

I've seen a few mentions around the web about Sega possibly remaking SF3...It's getting people's hopes up. Around here, we all know it's not happening. (Fool me 5 times, shame on you...)
Currently Re-Playing: Shining Force 3

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Lord Ulag

Post by Lord Ulag »

This is just speculation but are they targeting STHA because of their new game Shining Ark? Cause if you type shining ark in the youtube search box you would sure get STHA video's. There they go trying to erase the past, again.
Geoffrey Duke
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Geoffrey Duke »

Lord Ulag wrote:This is just speculation but are they targeting STHA because of their new game Shining Ark? Cause if you type shining ark in the youtube search box you would sure get STHA video's. There they go trying to erase the past, again.
That would make sense tbh. But Sega would have to be truly stupid if they couldn't see the difference between Shining The Holy Ark and Shining Ark.

But then, nothing surprises me anymore.

The good part is Total Biscuit is pretty popular on the net, so the negative press will backfire on Sega.
Kalkano
Shining Commander
Shining Hero

Post by Kalkano »

I think he's saying, they are removing Shining the Holy Ark videos, so searched for Shining Ark will only bring up those videos. That would make sense.

And, I'm kind of thinking they don't care about the negative press, since it's only negative press in the west. I think they've given up on releasing the games outside of Japan. And that's wise, I guess, since we've given up on them.
Currently Re-Playing: Shining Force 3

Shining Force 3: Chronology (YouTube Series Here)

"Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No hidden meanings. No hidden agendas. As honesty and integrity characterize our lives there will be no need to manipulate others."
Bo.Did.
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Bo.Did. »

My laptop died recently and I was without internet for quite a while...imagine my surprise when I found several of my favorite youtube channels MIA. The removal of these videos is a tremendous loss for the site's LP/gaming community, and I sincerely hope that once this situation finds its resolution their accounts can and will be restored. Such a waste...1000s of videos, some several years old, removed in an instant, and for what arbitrary reasons(s)? While I can't speak for everyone affected, I know the uploaders I followed violated no copyrights as their videos were informative walkthroughs and in no way passed the games off as their own work. Then there's the fact that we're talking about 14 and 15 year old games that have long been out of print!
Lord Ulag wrote:This is just speculation but are they targeting STHA because of their new game Shining Ark? Cause if you type shining ark in the youtube search box you would sure get STHA video's. There they go trying to erase the past, again.
I think you're warm. I doubt this is the work of SEGA in its entirety, but rather a certain faction- SoJ specifically.

Historically SoJ, SoE and SoA have rarely if ever seen eye-to-eye in matters pertaining to any issue, from hardware and IP-handling all the way to consumer/community relations. In fact, internal feuds haven't been unheard of.

While this could just be the work of some disgruntled individual or group (perhaps even a Sega employee), until more evidence surfaces I am inclined to believe to some degree SoJ's behind this.

It's sad enough that they would have the audacity to name one of their 2K Shining titles so similarly to one of their greatest software achievements, but then to effectively remove evidence of the latter to spotlight the former...granted, all speculation right now, but I can't put it past them. This new post-takeover Sega has demonstrated time and again that they hold neither pride for their classic titles nor respect for the creators of said titles and simply surviving as a company takes precedence over passion, especially if it might boost sales. (Still, why the attacks on Shining Force 3 as well?)

tl;dr: This seems to be a case of someone or some group selectively targeting specific individuals over 2 specific games. The infringement claims are unjust and I hope everyone fighting back continues to do so. I will do everything I can to help overturn this troubling turn of events.