Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Fanwork
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Board Game

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

Board Game

Postby Wulfunruh » Mon Jan 16 2017 9:37pm

Recently, I came across a few articles about people designing updates to Settlers of Catan with a 3D printer. Boom, inspiration... If there was a Shining Board game, how would you make it? I personally would want it to be tactical with the squares, mixed with dice for movement and status related nonsense... With cards to spice it up and bases, etc. It could be a simple game, with a lot of small complexities (without being difficult to understand) to spice it up. Then again, it could also be a game against the game. Maybe scenario based? Idk. What do you all think?
Wulfunruh

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Board Game

Postby chris1234p » Mon Jan 16 2017 9:43pm

I love mini wargaming (warhammer, heroes quest) etc, I could imagine something like that. Maybe that is why I liked Shining Force as a kid, because it is basically a video game version of mini wargaming.
chris1234p

Postby Wulfunruh » Mon Jan 16 2017 10:08pm

I've never had the time/opportunity to have a go at any of those. I remember seeing people painting the small pieces, that's about it. I wonder, a risk with heroes? That'd be the simplest, but -- lackluster. Maybe adding in events?
Wulfunruh

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Kaihaku » Mon Jan 16 2017 11:22pm

chris1234p wrote:I love mini wargaming (warhammer, heroes quest) etc, I could imagine something like that. Maybe that is why I liked Shining Force as a kid, because it is basically a video game version of mini wargaming.

That would definitely be my take on it. I wouldn't go full on wargame, probably something between a roleplaying oriented system like Dungeon Saga/Shadows of Brimstone and a more squad-based system like Deadzone/Infinity.
The Once and Future Kai
"The quick brown vox jumps ofer the lazy dog"
The Once and Future Kai
"The quick brown vox jumps ofer the lazy dog"
Kaihaku

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Tue Jan 17 2017 6:51am

I could see something like Chess, but on a larger board, with cards drawn to determine combat outcomes, kinda like Chance cards in Monopoly. Throw in some obstacles to mix in some blockages and set out different arangements of rooms/corridors/grasslands as seen in Hero Quest, give special characters some fancy rules regarding card drawing a la magic the gathering, etc

I'd play that.
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Cullsoft » Tue Jan 17 2017 11:27pm

I'm working on a couple of ideas, don't really want to give many details as they're still in draft stages.

One's aimed to be a PvP light strategy, along the lines of the Force games though slightly simplified. I want it to be very character driven (i.e. large selection of playable charatcers) with each having abilities and hindrances, though this has ended up with lists of these that really needs simplifying. It's also drifting too far from board gaming to table-top battling for my liking, so is currently on the back burner for rethinking.

The second is a build-as-you-explore dungeon game with a familiar setting. Again, slightly character driven with each having their own abilities but not nearly as complex as my fist game. Players would work together to traverse the dungeon, fighting monsters, collecting equipment and gaining experience with the goal of defeating the boss at the end of the dungeon. Whilst it's aimed as a co-operative game (if you beat the boss at the end you all win, if you don't you all lose), I want to include a bit of competition (e.g. player who defeats most monsters, gains most experience, etc. is crowned "true hero"). Getting close to a point where I can put together a prototype to take round to fellow board gaming friends and my local board games café for playtesting.
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Return to Shining Fanwork