Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Fanwork
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

AOE and Crit Question

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

AOE and Crit Question

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Sat Sep 24 2016 12:25am

Alright so I just added the ability to have normal attacks at different AOE sizes (normal, blaze, bolt)

My question is this. If a character lands a critical hit, should it crit every enemy, or should the crit be per individual target? On one hand, I see a critical as 'the attacker performed an excellent move' and on the other I see it as 'the enemy didn't counter properly.'

Right now I have it set to crit every target (since that's how I initially set up single target 'attack') however I can easily switch it to test for crit on an individual basis.

What's your thoughts on this?
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26022
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: AOE and Crit Question

Postby chris1234p » Sat Sep 24 2016 12:56am

I feel like I want to say make it affect the entire attack, but that seems like it might be way too powerful? I guess test it every way and make sure it doesn't make the gameplay cheesy or make magic users OP to the point where you always use them over other units.

I think in my game I am going to change how magic works a lot, and include some kind of magic power / magic defense that plays into the damage. I was thinking there could be a skill or racial power that randomly boosts the power of your spells but also maybe increases the MP cost when it kicks in.
chris1234p

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Sat Sep 24 2016 1:06am

Oh this isn't for magic attacks. Those test crit on an individual basis. This is for your normal attack.

I added 3 variables to characters and items that modify your normal attack.
Attack Area (increases AOE)
Attack Range (increases target range)
Attack Limit (inner deletion, cant attack units within X tiles of character)

This question is for the scenario where a player chooses "Attack" and has some sort of AOE buff.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Sat Sep 24 2016 4:02am

Perhaps you could implement optionality for both? I mean, if it were spells, I'd say definitely make it on a case by case basis, but for a system that allows for AOE basic attacks? I know that your project is intended to be used as a Maker for development purposes, and I could definitely foresee different designers wanting to utilize either archetype.
Creator of Shining Force III: 16-bit (WIP).
Tjelladallak våriiikeõdõtsyk jeissõ'eilamnikinõhõn. Ii'tuntoimjähädälläjät, niin miietsy iimpa'tyõhõnja.
Tjelladallak våriiikeõdõtsyk jeissõ'eilamnikinõhõn. Ii'tuntoimjähädälläjät, niin miietsy iimpa'tyõhõnja.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Sat Sep 24 2016 3:31pm

I guess I could do that too. Like I said, it's really a 2 second change. Just depends whether or not the crit test is in or out of the main loop. I can do both and just comment one of them out for now.

Guess the question now becomes, "which is on by default"? lol
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Sat Sep 24 2016 11:55pm

Personally, I think I would make it off by default to match the spells.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Stordarth » Sun Sep 25 2016 2:31am

I personally would have crits rolled per target, as I see crits as "Your strike happened to hit a vulnerable spot on this target." An AoE basic attack suggests a wide sweeping swing, and so each enemy would be hit at different points in the swing, suggesting to me that each enemy will be struck from slightly different angles with slight different impact forces.

Basically, chaos theory: no two hits are exactly the same.
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Sun Sep 25 2016 3:48pm

Added both, commented out one of them. Defaulted to rolling crits per target.
Thanks guys!
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DiegoMM » Sun Sep 25 2016 7:43pm

Yes, for me just make sense rolling per target.
Interesting articles about true things shining: http://www.everystudent.com/
Interesting articles about true things shining: http://www.everystudent.com/
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Return to Shining Fanwork