Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Fanwork
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

New fangame

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

Re: New fangame

Postby chris1234p » Sat Sep 10 2016 2:17am

Thanks for the feedback, and taking the time to keep up with what I am doing, I really appreciate it. Regarding graphics, - for Corsair's graphics, I was unsure of the licensing (wondering if I need to make my game open source if I use them), and for your graphics, pleaseno offense but I don't like the chibi "big head" style as much as the regular style, also I am kind of finding it a fun / welcome break from coding making my own graphics.
chris1234p

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Sat Sep 10 2016 2:29am

Although they aren't the best, you're welcome to use the icons and menus I made for Syro. Just let me know and I'll send them to you.
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26022
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby chris1234p » Sat Sep 10 2016 2:53am

Thanks Chaos! That would be great. You can email them to me at chris@christopher-putnam.com if you don't mind.
chris1234p

Postby Corsair » Mon Sep 12 2016 12:02am

chris1234p wrote: Corsair's graphics, I was unsure of the licensing

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

NonCommercial — You may not use the material for commercial purposes.

ShareAlike — If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.

Essentially, the code can be as proprietary or as open as you want/need it to be, as long as I'm credited somewhere in the work and you're not using it for personal profit.

Feel free to ask me if you have any questions about the license. I've been trying to stay sharp on it but i'm not a lawyer.

Regarding menu icons:

Have at it. Some of these show up in multiple menus.

Battle menu: Attack / Item / Stay / Magic
ImageImageImageImage
Item menu: Use / Equip / Drop / Give
ImageImageImageImage
Map selection menu: Status/ Text Speed / Save/Rest / Map
ImageImageImageImage
Shop Menu: Buy / Sell / Deals / Repair
ImageImageImageImage
Church: Raise / Promote / Save / Cure
ImageImageImageImage
HQ Menus: Advise / Deposit / Remove / Join Party
ImageImageImageImage
HQ Menus: Remove from Party / Storage / Examine/Appraise / Roster menu
ImageImageImageImage
Yes/ No / Search
ImageImageImage

(Attribution: While most of these are my work, Many of them were designed by Nuburan, and two by Stordarth; all were colorized or edited and finished by me. Too lazy to pick out which ones, but I'd say it's about a quarter of them.)

Menu templates:
Yes/No
Spell selection
Corsair

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Caedmonball19 » Mon Sep 12 2016 4:34pm

It wouldn't do you any good to use my graphics anyways if you were wanting to avoid the wrath of Sega as mine were made based directly from Sega characters. Corsair's (and team's) graphics or your own creations would be best. Looking forward to see how your engine takes shape.
Caedmonball19

The Black Sheep
Shining Hero

Postby RedShine » Tue Sep 13 2016 6:46am

I'm very impressed by this. it has a good degree of mechanical accuracy, if we can call it that, compared to a classic Shining game and I also like the font.

All I can say is keep up the good work and make sure to stay away from Sega's radar, they are a touchy bunch, to say the least.
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby chris1234p » Thu Sep 22 2016 7:14pm

Thanks for the continued support and interest all. The last two weeks I have not had much time due to real life constraints. Recently I have been working on adjusting the build scripts and making it work on a real server so others can access it. Also, I implemented Chaoswizard's menu icons, and I am probably going to replace the character sprites with my own in the near future. I am thinking that I will use a layered paperdoll system. Initially, I will just create sprites by hand based on the layered system, but in the future I will do it programatically, so that your sprite will change based on things like race, hair color, class, and equipment. Also I have been refactoring stuff so that it is better organized and more reusable. I will create another update video once I get to a point where there is something substantial to show.
chris1234p

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Thu Sep 22 2016 7:32pm

Looking forward to playing this when it goes live! Keep up the great work!
Also, since you're setting up a server, is there any chance you'd be adding a pvp type game mode as well where people could battle each other online?
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby chris1234p » Thu Sep 22 2016 7:37pm

That was a plan in the back of my head, although I think it is a long way down the line. The first online aspect may be some kind of auction house where you can buy and sell rare items with other real players.
chris1234p

Postby RedShine » Fri Sep 23 2016 9:59pm

Those are all excellent ideas. I'm especially keen on the paper doll system (I'm a sucker for details, like weapons and armor changing sprites to match).

When online battling matures enough, who knows, it may be used as a base for SFC turneys even.
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Sat Sep 24 2016 1:09am

RedShine wrote:When online battling matures enough, who knows, it may be used as a base for SFC turneys even.

Challenge accepted! Bring it on!

It would be very interesting to see how user battles play out for sure.
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Sat Sep 24 2016 11:42pm

Yeah, man. This is lookin' pretty dope. Seems quite promising to me. I love that even in 2016, SF fanwork is still alive and kicking. :thumbsup: I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of this project as it grows.

Also, to clear up your terminological issue, the "white target", as you call it, is called a reticule or a cursor. Crosshair would also be acceptable. The term "target" being used to refer to the reticule can be a little misleading, because the word "target" is usually used to refer to the object of the reticule's focus (ie; the sprite inside the reticule). I usually use the word "cursor", personally, but I'm using the word "reticule" here because it's the least ambiguous choice.
Creator of Shining Force III: 16-bit (WIP).
Tjelladallak våriiikeõdõtsyk jeissõ'eilamnikinõhõn. Ii'tuntoimjähädälläjät, niin miietsy iimpa'tyõhõnja.
Tjelladallak våriiikeõdõtsyk jeissõ'eilamnikinõhõn. Ii'tuntoimjähädälläjät, niin miietsy iimpa'tyõhõnja.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby chris1234p » Sun Oct 02 2016 4:08am

Hi all - I added a 3rd update video to the OP. Thanks for the continued interest and all of the help + feedback.
chris1234p

Postby RedShine » Sun Oct 02 2016 10:00pm

Great news! I'll make sure to check it out.
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Caedmonball19 » Tue Oct 04 2016 4:33pm

Things are looking great! Thanks for the update on your progress.
Caedmonball19

The Black Sheep
Shining Hero

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Wed Oct 05 2016 3:26pm

Looking great so far!

To answer your question about portraits animating twice as fast, that's the way it works in SF. Technically they are talking faster when you are holding down the select button anyways lol.

Also, when you're moving the cursor around the map to check status pages and whatnot, are you able to move on diagonals too?
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby chris1234p » Mon Oct 10 2016 1:35am

Hi all - I added a small update video, update 4, which is now in the OP.

Chaos - right now you cannot move on diagonals using the controls. At the moment however, certain things that are calculated movements do move on the shortest path / straight lines which may appear diagonal.
chris1234p

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Mon Oct 10 2016 8:48am

Hey, Chris. I just checked out the video. You mention in it that you can't remember if the original SF games displayed damage dealt beyond the current capacity (ie, if you deal 4 damage to an enemy with 1 HP, does it report as 1 damage, or 4?). They do, in fact, display the overdamage. So it should report the full amount of damage dealt. However, healing did not report overdamage. So if you heal someone (according to the early SF games) who's at 14/15 HP for a recovery of +11, it should say that they were healed for 1, not 11. So it's backwards for heals, in that respect.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby chris1234p » Mon Oct 10 2016 1:23pm

Thanks Tor. I will add that back in then when I have a moment.
chris1234p

Postby MXC » Tue Mar 14 2017 2:45am

Bump requested.

FYI though, there is a bump option below the quick reply. It appears 24hrs after your last post.
MXC

Shining Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Fanwork