Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Fanwork
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force III: 16-bit

For revealing previews and info regarding my 2D SF3 project.

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

Re: Shining Force III: 16-bit

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Sat Apr 19 2014 7:29pm

Thanks, Lord Oddeye sama. I so love that attitude. :)
And yeah, as of a few months ago, I've been trying to shed myself of that pressure, and I'm already starting to feel a lot better about it, which just makes me feel that much more confident that I'll be returning to it. :thumbsup:
Creator of Shining Force III: 16-bit (WIP).
Tjelladallak våriiikeõdõtsyk jeissõ'eilamnikinõhõn. Ii'tuntoimjähädälläjät, niin miietsy iimpa'tyõhõnja.
Tjelladallak våriiikeõdõtsyk jeissõ'eilamnikinõhõn. Ii'tuntoimjähädälläjät, niin miietsy iimpa'tyõhõnja.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Nash Vegas » Mon Apr 21 2014 5:41pm

This looks great! If you need some help let me know. I might be able to lend some assistance.
Nash Vegas

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Mon Apr 21 2014 6:57pm

@Nash Vegas: Can you elaborate on that a little bit, please? In what areas might you be able to lend some assistance?
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Nash Vegas » Mon Apr 21 2014 10:24pm

I've done mapping before for RPG Maker projects. I also an very attentive to detail, sometimes a little bit too much :)
Nash Vegas

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Tue Apr 22 2014 3:34am

Hmm. Not sure if I will, but if I've need of assistance in that area, I'll be sure to get back to you. If you really want to help with mapping, the best way to do that would be to collect screenshots of every nook and cranny of SF3. lol. I would be very appreciative of that. Or if you've got some other area in which you might be able to lend assistance, I'd be happy to hear it.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Nash Vegas » Tue Apr 22 2014 2:52pm

What areas have you already mapped out?
Nash Vegas

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Tue Apr 22 2014 5:34pm

The ones that you've already seen. I don't have any problems with mapping. In fact, it's one of my favourite parts. I'm certainly not looking to employ out my favourite parts and effectively turn this into a trudge-fest for myself.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Nash Vegas » Tue Apr 22 2014 7:38pm

Haha that is understandable. I will see what I can drum up for map screenshots.
Nash Vegas

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Wed Apr 23 2014 11:40pm

Thanks so much, Caedmonball! :)
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Nash Vegas » Thu Apr 24 2014 3:13pm

Ohhhh missed the big day! Happy belated birthday Tor_Heyerdal!
Last edited by Nash Vegas on Fri Apr 25 2014 4:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nash Vegas

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Thu Apr 24 2014 4:53pm

Yeah, something like that is of no assistance at all. lol. Every shot needs to be at the same camera angle, and I need to be able to clearly tell at which tile each shot transitions into each other shot. A Let's Play will certainly be useless. You have to comb each map manually. Also, I think this map is facing East. lol (although it has been a rather long time, and I may be mistaken). That wouldn't matter so much for a town map, but the over-world map should really be facing North. Also, parts of it are outright missing. xD
There's a reason I don't go around asking people to do these things for me; it's a lot of work. But you've volunteered, so this is what is required. =P
EDIT: Also, it's not like they need to be pixel perfect or anything. While I need to be able to clearly tell where each tile in the edge of any shot connects to any other shot, they aren't required to be lined up pixel-for-pixel. We're not trying to create a masterpiece, just a clean template for recreation. :)
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Caedmonball19 » Thu Apr 24 2014 6:57pm

I never thought of the difficulty in the 3D maps like that. I can see why this is a long project. Nice try Nash :) Hope you have a better PC than I do because I haven't had great luck in emulating SF3 yet. Maybe I should try using a computer newer than 10 years old.
Caedmonball19

The Black Sheep
Shining Hero

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Fri Apr 25 2014 3:30am

You don't need a good frame rate for collecting screenshots, Caedonball, but it DEFINITELY helps to make it a LOT faster. hehe. I run maybe 4fps in SF3. =P
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby metateen » Fri Apr 25 2014 10:51am

Tor_Heyerdal wrote:Yeah, I'm still checkin' in. And I'm looking forward to such a time as well. lol.
@metateen: "Giggles"? I feel like there's some kind of a joke there that I'm missing. =P

Meant to say Jingles.~
~Photobucket~Composer~GMC character designer~DevintART~
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/ ... 78d426.png
~Photobucket~Composer~GMC character designer~DevintART~
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/ ... 78d426.png
metateen

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Nash Vegas » Fri Apr 25 2014 4:40pm

Tor would this be of any help for you? This took way too long to produce.
Nash Vegas

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Fri Apr 25 2014 7:56pm

While that's not perfect, because it does force me to make a few judgement calls here and there, that is still *infinitely* better than the previous attempt. lol. And yeah, you're right. This does take a very long time. That's why when I'm doing this myself, I don't typically recreate the whole thing in a single image like that. I'll do it one screenshot at a time, and make sure to have the edge tiles of the previous screenshot in the new one each time. But this at least potentially usable. =) I commend your effort.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Nash Vegas » Fri Apr 25 2014 9:18pm

Would you prefer that I take a series of pictures and not try to connect them? That would be easier for me than trying to do it this way, but whatever way is more beneficial for you.
Nash Vegas

Postby Tor_Heyerdal » Fri Apr 25 2014 9:45pm

Separating them into separate shots entirely would probably be better. But like I said before, just so long as I can clearly see the edge tiles of adjacent shots within each other. Maybe give them grid-like filenames. Like "LocationName B7" or something like that.
Tor_Heyerdal

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby RedShine » Wed Apr 30 2014 6:43am

This might be a bit of a long shot, but would the map overheads present in http://rpg-home.lunar-net.com/sf3_new/ help any?

Edit: Navigate using the top menu. Mouse-over the chapter number, then click on chapters, then battles.
RedShine

Shining Member
Shining Member

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Fanwork