Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Fanwork
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

The Unofficial Fanfic Thread 3

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

Re: The Unofficial Fanfic Thread 3

Postby Chaoswizard98 » Fri Jun 12 2015 2:25am

I don't do much reading but this sounds really interesting. Just figured I'd express my support for this project! I'll get around to reading it eventually lol.
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26022
Creator of the GameMaker Shining Engine and "The Legend of Syro" Fan Game. (WIP)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26022
Chaoswizard98

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Omega Entity » Fri Jun 12 2015 2:27am

Actually, nowhere did TUM say that atheism and Christianity aren't religions, just that your comparing of them to a religion whose major rituals involve human sacrifice is ludicrous.

Reading comprehension, yo.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
Omega Entity

*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Postby Corsair » Sat Jun 13 2015 2:28am

I uh

I don't think the point was direct comparison, but that belief tends to have a very powerful sway over people, faith can motivate all manner of deeds, and is difficult to get rid of regardless of how atrocious it might be.
Corsair

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Fri Jun 26 2015 12:03am

Chaoswizard98 wrote:I don't do much reading but this sounds really interesting. Just figured I'd express my support for this project! I'll get around to reading it eventually lol.

Thanks! I always try to make my stories as entertaining and interesting as possible, so it would be great to have you along for the ride.

And chapter 5 is now up. A more quiet and reflective chapter after the major developments of chapter 4 - speaking of which, I'm both very surprised and very uneasy that there's been no reader response to that chapter yet. Hopefully it's just that folks are still gathering their thoughts on it.

Corsair wrote:I uh

I don't think the point was direct comparison, but that belief tends to have a very powerful sway over people, faith can motivate all manner of deeds, and is difficult to get rid of regardless of how atrocious it might be.

Yes, exactly. I picked Christianity and Atheism as examples but I could have as easily said the Bahá'í faith and the Church of Satan (except that Marine is more likely to be familiar with the first two). Quite ironic that Omega Entity's post accused me of bad reading comprehension.
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Demonic Weasel » Wed Jul 15 2015 3:22am

Demonic Weasel makes a post! While I haven't been active in fanfiction for quite some time, I do still monitor for the rare updates that come out. Maybe I'll make some more posts or some updates of my own or just wait to see what happens next...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby TheUnknownMarine » Thu Jul 16 2015 1:40am

I really should sit down and pick up where our talk left off, but I'm too tired right now.

I'll just for the moment say that after reading Chapter 6, it's clear that Joshua is the best character and the hero we deserve, but not the one we need right now.
TheUnknownMarine

Master Narrator
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Thu Jul 16 2015 3:11pm

Good to hear you're still reading, Marine!

As one might deduce from Marine's post, while I am late in posting the link to chapter 6 on this forum, it did go up on Fanfiction dot net on schedule. Since I am at this moment working on chapter 10, chapter 7 should go up on time as well.
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Demonic Weasel » Mon Jul 27 2015 7:38pm

As my earlier post was meant to imply, my fanfiction has suddenly and finally roared back to life. I don't honestly suppose that there are many folks who would find that interesting at this point in the game, but I see no reason not to announce it to the community that exists.

And this means that Martin III can post about his own updates too.
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Fri Aug 07 2015 1:50am

I neglected to post about it here, but chapter 7 of "Shining Cloud" went up on schedule, and now chapter 8 is up as well. It's a pretty key chapter. Reading over it during edits, I found that I was lighter on the prose than I thought, but I didn't feel the urge to add in any big chunks; perhaps it's better that I mostly let the chapter's happenings speak for themselves.

Haven't gotten to your latest chapter just yet, Demonic; as I said I might, I've been refreshing myself on the old chapters first. It'll take me a bit longer this way, but the plus side for me is that by the time I finish reading the current chapter, I won't have much longer to wait for the next one. :) Also, anyone who's come on board here since Demonic Weasel's "The Granserian Way" began its now-finished hiatus, definitely check it out. Simply rereading the first four chapters has been good enjoyment for me.
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Demonic Weasel » Tue Aug 25 2015 10:22pm

Chapter 17 is finally posted. I'll admit, I'm a little pumped about finally having this one out there. While a certain amount of the chapter is still setup, there's at least one big plot point in there that I hope anyone who chooses to still read the fic will be excited to see...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Fri Sep 04 2015 12:41am

Chapter 10 of "Shining Cloud" is up, on schedule. Speaking of schedule... Part 1 of "Shining Cloud" concludes with chapter 12, and for several reasons (noted on my FanFiction dot net profile) I'm going to take a little break at that point, so chapter 13 will show up one month after chapter 12. Just a little heads up.

Chapter 10 introduces us to a couple of, not exactly new characters (though there is one of those, too), but characters who we haven't seen in quite this way before. I had to rewrite a significant portion of this chapter, but I think the end result is good.
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Demonic Weasel » Thu Sep 17 2015 7:34pm

Sadly I've still been much more disorganized about getting my updates done on a reasonable schedule than I would like, but I'm working on improving that. And in my defense, my next chapter has required extensive rewriting, mostly because of pacing issues. I expect to publish it on Monday.
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Fri Oct 02 2015 12:55pm

The grand finale of Part 1 of "Shining Cloud", i.e. chapter 12, is now up! Luckily I was feeling pretty inspired these past couple weeks, or I doubt I could have finished this massive chapter in time. My main struggle with the chapter was actually deciding how much I needed to include and how much I could postpone for later in the novel in order to keep this chapter from being bloated. An awful lot happens at once, and there was absolutely no way I could reflect on it all without making the chapter too long. So yeah, if you feel "Shining Cloud" hasn't had enough action, conflict, new characters, catharsis, spellcasting, and character deaths, then this chapter's for you. :)

Oh, and in a slight modification of my earlier announcement, the publication schedule for this novel is shifting down to monthly for the time being. I've just fallen too far behind on things, but I hope to go back to a bi-weekly schedule on New Year's Day 2016.

EDIT: The opener for Part 2 of "Shining Cloud", chapter 13, is up on schedule. With Part 2, the scope of the plot and the cast of characters both greatly widen, and so we start off by taking a little break from Hindel and Iom. I'll say no more... Please read, enjoy, and review!
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Demonic Weasel » Thu Dec 03 2015 10:19pm

I've got to apologize for dropping out of sight yet again; I won't bore anyone with the details but there was something of a crisis going on the last couple of months. I hope to have my next update clocked in within the next two days or so.

In the the meantime, Martin III is still on schedule from the updates I've been getting, so it's not a total loss for anyone still following along.
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Fri Jan 01 2016 7:26pm

Gah, I forgot to post here that I had put up chapter 14 of "Shining Cloud" on schedule. In chapter 14 we take a little trip over to Guardiana to meet with some friends we haven't seen in a long while. This is my first real heavy duty characterization of Anri to the best of my recollection, so I'm hopeful that it comes off well.

And now chapter 15 has gone up on schedule as well. This is our first proper introduction to Nick and Mayfair's eldest son, who has appeared in previous fics but didn't have much to say at that point, being an infant and all. This time he makes himself heard.

EDIT 2/1/2016: Chapter 16 of "Shining Cloud" is up on schedule, in which we catch up on Hindel and his friends for the first time since Part 1. This is one of my favorite chapters so far. It's called "Saul's Robe" - read it to find out why.

EDIT 2/15/2016: Chapter 17 is up on schedule. We now follow up on the aftermath of Hindel's meeting with the king and queen from the other perspective.

EDIT 3/14/2016: Chapter 18 and chapter 19 have both gone up on schedule.

EDIT 3/28/2016: Chapter 20 is up on schedule.

EDIT 4/11/2016: Chapter 21 is up on schedule. A turning point for Hindel here. I will say no more.

EDIT 4/25/2016: Chapter 22 is up on schedule. We get to see Barro's team in action (so to speak) for the first time.

EDIT 5/9/2016: Chapter 23 is up on schedule. Some major plot developments in this chapter, which is one I've spent more time planning than any other chapter in the novel. I'm very happy with how it turned out. Read it and let me know if you agree.
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Noma » Sat May 14 2016 11:58pm

A post is a post.

For more friend Martin updates.
All-Stars Mod: WIP, Revived! Check it out!
All-Stars Mod: WIP, Revived! Check it out!
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Tue Jun 07 2016 4:07am

Hey Noma, good to hear from you! I only wish you had some new work to report.

And I've got chapter 24 up on schedule. Rather a short chapter, as I couldn't find any scenes which went well with this one. I think it's important enough to stand on its own, though.

EDIT 6/20/16: Chapter 25 is up on schedule.

EDIT 7/4/16: Happy Independence Day! Pretty ironic that today's scheduled update, Chapter 26 of "Shining Cloud", is all about a nation losing its independence. I did not plan this, I assure you; it's pure coincidence. Also, my apologies to anyone who may have read this chapter in the first few hours after I posted it, since I had left out a part of the chapter and just now edited it in. The change is essentially just one sentence of dialogue from Hindel, but it's a significant bit of foreshadowing which I really should not have forgot to put in.

EDIT 7/18/16: Chapter 27 is up on schedule.

EDIT 8/1/16: Chapter 28 is up on schedule.

EDIT 8/15/16: Kind of surprised that I got no reaction to the previous chapter's cliffhanger. Interest in Shining fanfic really has all but died out, I guess. Oh well, chapter 29 is up on schedule.

EDIT 9/2/16: I'm late on reporting it here, but chapter 30 did go up on schedule.
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby TheUnknownMarine » Thu Mar 16 2017 10:19am

OK, finally got back around to reading Shining Cloud. No time for indepth, so bullet points of the stuff that struck me per chapter.

Chapter 11 :"No, we must want until a lot of dudes die so we can win our son's love back."
Sweet JESUS Natasha, you are one heartless SOB.

Chapter 12: "He was a good man. He even sacrificed his first born son to Iom to prove his faith."
*Nervous laughter*

>"....magical device."
Ooooh, technology. Is this Prompt? Or some place new?

>Arrows everywhere.
GODDAMN IT SILAS YOU MORON! YOU JUST GAVE HIM LEGITIMACY!

Chapter 14
>Anri sad.
Guldurnit.

Chapter 15
>Grenade
Oh, I do love me some techno factions.

Oh, they're kidnapping Nick and Mayfair.

Well, sh**.

Chapter 16
>Comparing the Bible to Iom.
...careful now.

Chapter 21
A supervillian is born.

Chapter 22
They don't know what glasses are? Really? We've seen them before in villages...
>Crossbows.
No assault rifles? Awwwww.

Chapter 23
Goddammit, Deanna. This could've all been avoided if people simply would've DESTROYED the fanatical human killing cult instead of letting them rally.

Chapter 25
Anri knows what's up. Rally that Shining Force BEFORE you let the forces of evil conquer half the world.

Ruce: "Better a corrupt ruler than an incompetent ruler."
There's about a thousand political references for this one, I don't know which ones to pick...

And Ruce is now going to be king. My hopes for Max showing up out of nowhere just keep going shrinking.

The fact Ruce was among my least favorite SFCD heroes isn't helping.

Chapter 26
Wait, Hindel made himself a Shining Force? How'd I miss that? That's like, an almost blasphemy. Like someone mistaking Dio for Bieber.

>"Iom doesn't ask that anyone follow him blindly."
YES HE DOES!

>Anri at the announcement.
Well, that escalated quickly.

>The battle
...that's not how Egress works. Easily explained by saying this mage developed an advanced form of it, but still.

Chapter 28
>Adam
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Chapter 29
>Max is dead. Killed by some punk merc.
OH COME ON!
>Ken doesn't recognize Adam? Or he thinks he's a traitor? What?
Come on Ken, get it together.

Chapter 30
Poison, called that too.
>"Iom is the lesser of two evils!"
Bob Dole don't like where this is going.

Chapter 32
What is with this new nation popping out of nowhere and invading everywhere to bring atheism to the masses? It's like the 40K Emperor dropping by for tea or something.

Chapter 34
>Iom/Guardiana alliance.
All right, now I'm mad.

Chapter 35
>The Light is on Iom's side.
OK, full f***ing stop. Before I was half joking, but that better be just be Hindel being a moron. That's not how the Light works. That's not how IOM works. That's like having Satan and Jesus be buddy-buddy, it's antithetical to both parties.

Chapter 36
Oh, good, a gun.
...it's useless.
Of course.

Chapter 37
"Without Iom's power and wisdom, you can't defeat Kerinam!"
Iom is a babby tier demon lord.

OK, all this time, I thought you were just doing a very good job of portraying how religious zealots justify their actions, but as of now, I'm actually convinced you believe what I'm reading Hindel say.

With all the jokes aside I have the following review.

Martin your technical skill is still fine, but I find the direction you're taking the plot to be ridiculous, and the characterizations of some of the characters to be odd at best. Everyone's so quick to side with a genocidal demon king and his cult... it boggles the mind.

I more or less always disagreed with how you portrayed certain things, but I could push those things to the back of my mind out of curiosity to see what happened next, and what happened to the characters I did like. These last few chapters have pushed the fic into morbid curiosity territory, a place usually occupied by things like Code Geass Season 2, recent episodes of the Simpsons, and the general course of world politics.

This particular Shining world is in dire need of a few vertibird assault teams and... wait a second, they've already got like, six god-killing weapons. Goddammit Ian, get your butt over here and bring your Force Sword with you!
TheUnknownMarine

Master Narrator
Shining Legend

Previous

Return to Shining Fanwork