Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Fanwork
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

The Unofficial Fanfic Thread 3

Share, discuss or get ideas for your Shining Fanwork here! Anything from fanfic and fanart to homebrew Shining games and midi composition!

The Unofficial Fanfic Thread 3

Postby Martin III » Thu Aug 04 2011 3:29am

Well, since no one else seems to want to get it started up, here I am creating the new thread again!

It's about time I did another Shining Force CD fanfic, since I haven't published one in over a year. Somewhat fitting, I suppose, that the novelette I'm working on now takes places roughly half a year after my previous SF CD fic. This novelette gets the ball rolling on a few plot threads from my previous works, as well as introducing a few new characters to help fill in the whole sociopolitical layout of Castle Cypress. Took me a while to take all the stuff I knew was going to happen at Castle Cypress and piece it together into something you might call a story, but I think it's working out well.

Also. I'm looking to work in appearances by some of the underutilized characters in my SF CD fics, both original and canon characters. So if anyone has favorites that they want to see, feel free to shout 'em out. I'm already working on chapter 4 of this fic, but there's plenty of room for me to rework subplots and add scenes.

Anyway, here's a sample chapter, so please read, critique, and offer suggestions if you can! I'm using chapter 2 as my sample here, firstly because chapter 2 is where things start actually happening, and secondly because chapter 1 has M-rated content and I would rather not offend anyone who might be offended. Here goes:
WARNING: SPOILER!
Last edited by Martin III on Fri Aug 05 2011 2:36am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: The Unofficial Fanfic Thread 3

Postby Noma » Thu Aug 04 2011 7:58am

Very well written, as usual, Martin. I'll have to go back and continue reading some of your older works in order to familiarize myself with the plots that have already come to pass since this story is connected to them, but it is well done nonetheless.

The only thing I saw that was odd was that in one sentence you lapsed into first person. I don't know if it was supposed to be Mayfair's thoughts, maybe in italics, that SFC returned to regular text since you just pasted it in here. You may want to italicize again for clarity's sake.

Here's the paragraph I'm talking about.

WARNING: SPOILER!
All-Stars Mod: WIP, Revived! Check it out!
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Fri Aug 05 2011 2:38am

Noma wrote:The only thing I saw that was odd was that in one sentence you lapsed into first person. I don't know if it was supposed to be Mayfair's thoughts, maybe in italics, that SFC returned to regular text since you just pasted it in here. You may want to italicize again for clarity's sake.

Whoops! I always take care to put all the appropriate text in italics when posting here, but it looks like this once I forgot. Besides the first person sections, there are some important emphases in there. Well, it's fixed now. Sorry about that.
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Noma » Mon Aug 15 2011 4:53pm

Work on Legacy of Oddeye is slow going, but I'm about 80% through chapter 4 now. Should have it finished sometime soon, but I make no promises. Chapter 5 should see our main character finally joining the fun.
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Tue Aug 23 2011 1:54am

Noma wrote:Work on Legacy of Oddeye is slow going, but I'm about 80% through chapter 4 now. Should have it finished sometime soon, but I make no promises. Chapter 5 should see our main character finally joining the fun.

Most excellent. I've been looking forward to the (long-delayed :devil: ) follow-up.

On my own front, I have the first chapter of my new fic, "Shadow of the Future", up here. Background details available on my FF dot net account. This fic is rated M for some mild sexual content; I emphasize "mild", but if you squick at the thought of any of the Shining Force in the nude, you may not want to click that link. Lots of plot threads being followed in this fic, so I'm both excited to write it and antsy about whether I'll pull it off to satisfaction. :sweatdrop:

I also finally made the promised fix to "The One I Haven't Lost" in response to the issue brought up on the old fanfic thread. If nothing about the story confused you the first time, just ignore this; but otherwise, go back and enjoy a re-read! It's hard to say if I was able to fix the problem at all, since I honestly don't know what made the story confusing to begin with, but I did my best.
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Noma » Wed Aug 24 2011 3:20am

Martin III wrote:Most excellent. I've been looking forward to the (long-delayed :devil: ) follow-up.

Not nearly as delayed as Ch. 3.
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Thu Sep 15 2011 8:17pm

Just a quick note that I have put up chapter 2 of "Shadow of the Future" a few days early since I'm heading on vacation for a week. Do note that in addition to a few spelling corrections and minor changes, the official chapter 2 has an important scene that I left out of the sample above because it would have been slightly confusing to anyone who hadn't read chapter 1.

Let's see chapter 4 by the time I get back, Noma!
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Noma » Fri Sep 16 2011 2:42am

Martin III wrote:Let's see chapter 4 by the time I get back, Noma!

I'll see what I can do ;)
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Sun Oct 02 2011 2:02am

I'm back, so chapter 3 of "Shadow of the Future" is now up. Read and enjoy! Hopefully someone will even review this chapter... grumble, grumble.

Work on this fic was slow during my vacation, to say the least, but overall I think this is coming along and I might want to bump it up to bi-weekly schedule so that I have the complete work up by the end of the year.
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby whiterose » Sun Oct 02 2011 3:58am

Well. Bad news on my end, guys.

My laptop died. It had everything on it, including my shining fic, and well... to put it nicely, I was a just a bit PO'd when I found this out.

Good news is that (from what I was told by the man who tried to fix it) he was able to recover all my files including this, so I haven't lost it or anything. (I hope. >.> Because this will also tick me off. Greatly. Losing this, or really, any of the stuff I've written. There was quite a lot on there.) But yeah. Didn't think it'd come to this, but now I'll be having to buy a new laptop. In the meantime... yeah... I'm not sure when I'll ever get around to working on this fic anytime soon. I'm not about to go adding all my stuff to this computer that isn't mine. >.>

Just putting that out there, since a couple of you might still be interested. *shrugs*
whiterose

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby TheUnknownMarine » Sun Oct 02 2011 6:05am

Martin III wrote:I'm back, so chapter 3 of "Shadow of the Future" is now up. Read and enjoy! Hopefully someone will even review this chapter... grumble, grumble.

Work on this fic was slow during my vacation, to say the least, but overall I think this is coming along and I might want to bump it up to bi-weekly schedule so that I have the complete work up by the end of the year.

Yeesha is a veteran mage that can wield the most powerful magic known to mortal-kid on Rune and was part of the team responsible for saving the world...

...and Cypress has her dusting and polishing.

I'm sorry Martin, I can't wrap my head around how utterly moronic King Nick has to be to allow such a hilarious misappropriation of skill and resources. It doesn't even matter if she was originally a servant, after the war, she should've at the very least gotten a commission training battle mages or something, and more likely, a commission LEADING battle mages or something.

This is like hiring the Navy SEALs to do your laundry.
TheUnknownMarine

Master Narrator
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Thu Oct 06 2011 11:00pm

Good to hear you're still reading, Marine!

I understand how you feel concerning Yeesha, but I have to ask, what else should she be doing? As mentioned in my earlier SF CD fics, she does train mages and also provides magic-related consultation/assistance/whatnot to Nick, but that only occupies so much of her time. The lady likes to keep busy, and besides, something is needed to assert her station in life so that the resident nobles don't start to get antsy about the possibility of dramatic social mobility.

@Whiterose: Sorry to hear about your computer troubles. Have you considered using a file sharing service? 4shared has proved very valuable in keeping me writing across multiple computers when I go on vacations and such.
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby TheUnknownMarine » Fri Oct 07 2011 12:41am

Martin III wrote:Good to hear you're still reading, Marine!

I understand how you feel concerning Yeesha, but I have to ask, what else should she be doing? As mentioned in my earlier SF CD fics, she does train mages and also provides magic-related consultation/assistance/whatnot to Nick, but that only occupies so much of her time. The lady likes to keep busy, and besides, something is needed to assert her station in life so that the resident nobles don't start to get antsy about the possibility of dramatic social mobility.

@Whiterose: Sorry to hear about your computer troubles. Have you considered using a file sharing service? 4shared has proved very valuable in keeping me writing across multiple computers when I go on vacations and such.

Wait, are you saying Yeesha does maid stuff because she likes it?
TheUnknownMarine

Master Narrator
Shining Legend

Postby Noma » Sat Oct 08 2011 3:12am

whiterose wrote:Well. Bad news on my end, guys.

My laptop died. It had everything on it, including my shining fic, and well... to put it nicely, I was a just a bit PO'd when I found this out.

Good news is that (from what I was told by the man who tried to fix it) he was able to recover all my files including this, so I haven't lost it or anything. (I hope. >.> Because this will also tick me off. Greatly. Losing this, or really, any of the stuff I've written. There was quite a lot on there.) But yeah. Didn't think it'd come to this, but now I'll be having to buy a new laptop. In the meantime... yeah... I'm not sure when I'll ever get around to working on this fic anytime soon. I'm not about to go adding all my stuff to this computer that isn't mine. >.>

Just putting that out there, since a couple of you might still be interested. *shrugs*

I feel your pain. My laptop died a little over a year ago and I had to rewrite an entire chapter of The Legacy of Oddeye. For some reason rewrites never seem as good as the originals.
Noma

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Sat Oct 22 2011 3:02pm

TheUnknownMarine wrote:Wait, are you saying Yeesha does maid stuff because she likes it?

Sure beats sitting around being useless, don't it?

Anyway, on to new stuff. Chapter 4 of "Shadow of the Future" is up right on schedule. A somewhat tricky chapter to write, but I'm fairly pleased with the results.

Also, big news for those of you who enjoy a certain DS RPG that's big on airships, adventuring, and traditional turn-based battles: Nostalgia now has a section on Fanfiction.net! :thumbsup:

Or rather, it's had one for some time, but it wouldn't show up in regular browsing because no one had written any fics for it. I was struck by inspiration whilst playing the game, so I've now changed that. You can check out the Nostalgia section here. There you can read, enjoy, and (please?) review my little Nostalgia saga, and add your own if you're so inspired!
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby whiterose » Sun Oct 23 2011 3:15am

^^

I loved Nostalgia (I consider it an obscure gem, really.), so a section on ff.net is awesome. =)

I'll likely have to play through it another couple of times or so before I consider writing a full blown fic or something. I suppose I could attempt a oneshot whenever I get a new laptop, though.

Will look into reading yours sometime, Martin. (good to know I'm not the only one that's played the game, lol.)
whiterose

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby TheUnknownMarine » Mon Oct 24 2011 4:00am

Martin III wrote:
TheUnknownMarine wrote:Wait, are you saying Yeesha does maid stuff because she likes it?

By that logic, more or less everyone in Cypress should clean people's houses as a hobby.
TheUnknownMarine

Master Narrator
Shining Legend

Postby Omega Entity » Mon Oct 24 2011 4:21am

I know very few women who find cleaning enjoyable. And the fact that you find a woman useful only for cleaning is a bit derogatory, don't you think? Especially one such as Yeesha, who would have a very useful skill set, especially after all that was accomplished with, you know, helping save the world.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
Omega Entity

*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Wed Oct 26 2011 3:41am

TheUnknownMarine wrote:
Martin III wrote:

By that logic, more or less everyone in Cypress should clean people's houses as a hobby.

Only if cleaning houses was the only possible profession for a person living in Cypress. Which is not the case.
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby TheUnknownMarine » Wed Oct 26 2011 4:01am

Martin III wrote:
TheUnknownMarine wrote:
Martin III wrote:Sure beats sitting around being useless, don't it?

Only if cleaning houses was the only possible profession for a person living in Cypress. Which is not the case.

But that is also true of Yeesha, who would be far better served going out and casting magic. Hell, the KINGDOM would be better served having her out casting magic. If you argue that she cleans while not casting to not feel useless, that can be equally applied to everyone else, because more or less every job has downtime.
TheUnknownMarine

Master Narrator
Shining Legend

Next

Return to Shining Fanwork