Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums All Things Shining
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Worst "common" class in the series?

Knights, Mages, Healers...

If your topic relates to more than one Shining game, post it here!

Worst "common" class in the series

Knights/Paladins
21%
Mages/Wizards
3%
Healers/Vicars
18%
Warriors/Gladiators
28%
Archers/Snipers or Bowmasters
31%

Total votes : 78

Worst "common" class in the series?

Postby domingo43 » Wed Sep 06 2006 12:28am

Knights- Start off great then go to being so-so by the end of the game (so few of the "great through the whole game" knights.)

Mages- Great at the beginning of games, not needed so much later at the end.

Healers- 5 movement (usually, if not always, correct me if I'm wrong) and bad agility (usually, a few exceptions) equal someone who is incapable of keeping up with the party, both in battle and in stats.

Warriors- They seem to lose it after they're promoted, so I usually only have one on my ending team (not like there are ever a lot anyway) probably the best (IMO) "common" class that there is.

Archers- I like archers only and just only for their range in attack. May (SF2) is probably the only archer that I really like, she's probably the best or second best that I've ever used (IMO, and I know that she isn't exactly an archer but close enough) Their attack is almost always mediocre-average, defense is mediocre-poor, speed is great, movement varies, HP is quite often above average if I remember right.
madcatsomethingorother wrote:It's called "gang mentality." The combined intelligence of any group of people is inversely proportional to the number of people in said group.

If someone could explain why I was banned forthis? It didn't seem too dissimilar to other emu topics.

No warez/piracy

We try to keep things legal here, which means you may not provide/request links to/information about illegal media
madcatsomethingorother wrote:It's called "gang mentality." The combined intelligence of any group of people is inversely proportional to the number of people in said group.

If someone could explain why I was banned forthis? It didn't seem too dissimilar to other emu topics.

No warez/piracy

We try to keep things legal here, which means you may not provide/request links to/information about illegal media
domingo43

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Worst "common" class in the series?

Postby Demonic Weasel » Wed Sep 06 2006 12:38am

Personally I think you can only make a judgement like that on a game to game basis as each character has his or her own assets and weaknesses, but out those that you listed I'm generally disappointed in warrior's.

There tend to be only one really good choice in each Force game with a slightly worse backup choice, and rarely is the good choice really excellent. I'm also not very fond of healers generally since it is possible to buy healing items.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby Chaos » Wed Sep 06 2006 9:25am

Knights and paladins in general. I haven't played all of the Shining Force games, but I find that SF1 is the only one which has got some good knights. In all the others I've played so far the knights/paladins were good in the beginning of the game, but tend to become mediocre by the end.
"Fiery the angels fell / Deep thunder rolled around their shores / Burning with the fires of Orc."
"Fiery the angels fell / Deep thunder rolled around their shores / Burning with the fires of Orc."
Chaos

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Orange Gort » Wed Sep 06 2006 3:21pm

Demonic Weasel) wrote:There tend to be only one really good choice in each Force game with a slightly worse backup choice, and rarely is the good choice really excellent. I'm also not very fond of healers generally since it is possible to buy healing items.

This is very true except in SF2. Randolf is absolutely awesome! In every category. But your theory holds true in that Jaha & Gyan are worse choices. There isn't even a warrior in SF3 that I really like. Accept maybe the Pig Man. I always use Rock and Leon because there aren't any other choices. I prefer Horst over Obright in Scn 1.

Chaos) wrote:Knights and paladins in general. I haven't played all of the Shining Force games, but I find that SF1 is the only one which has got some good knights. In all the others I've played so far the knights/paladins were good in the beginning of the game, but tend to become mediocre by the end.

Eric and Rick in SF2 are pretty good. (Eric owning Rick) Eric is acutally one of my more favorite knights.

Sweet mother of Mary, play SF3. They all rule except Donhort. Some of the best knights ever. My favorite class in Shining Force games is Centaur Knights.

I rarely ever use Archers except in SF3. I only use them when I have no other choice. Hans comes out for Amon/Balbaroy. Mae comes out for Eric, Elric comes out for Higgins. The archers in SF3 are just cooler I think. They have a huge range.
What's up hen?
What's up hen?
Orange Gort

The Creator
Shining Hero

Postby Cullsoft » Wed Sep 06 2006 6:57pm

domingo43 @ Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:28 am) wrote: Healers- Ackkk, probably my least favorite "common group" in the series. 5 movement (usually, if not always, correct me if I'm wrong) and bad agility (usually, a few exceptions) equal someone who is incapable of keeping up with the party, both in battle and in stats. That means that I train very few healers in reruns of the game, so I am wrong about some of them.

Bah, you're just using the wrong healers. Some of them wind up with stats that give the healer stereotype a right kick up the arse (although technically some of them don't count as they're neither Healers nor Vicars, but Priests, Clerics, SBRNs...)

I'd probably say Warriors/Gladiators, seeing as they're usually just doing the same as Knights/Paladins with worse range; very rarely do I find my final parties containing more than one Gladiator (if any at all). Exception to this is in SHF3, where weapon advantages come into the equation so you aim more for a mix of Sword, Lance and Axe-type weapons.
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby domingo43 » Wed Sep 06 2006 10:36pm

What are

SBRNs

No warez/piracy

No warez/piracy

domingo43

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Cullsoft » Wed Sep 06 2006 11:09pm

Well, that was an unnecessary use of the quoting feature. Means I can't use it as a quote in my usual Q&A style of quoting without mucking about to keepthe quote from vanishing. But I digress and grumble.

In Shining Force Gaiden: Sword of Hajya, promoted Priests/Healers (forget which were used, but that's moot) become SBRNs. What this stands for is anyone's guess... mine is "Sage Baron", but officially speaking there's nowt to say one way or the other.

When the game was remade as part of Shining Force CD, this was returned to VICR (which we can all safely believe to be for "Vicar").
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby Rusty » Wed Sep 06 2006 11:55pm

Actually, I'm going with Archers/Snipers on this. They're essentially mages that can miss that don't usually do as much damage, but can attack infinitely. At least mages can have support spells and hit multiple targets.

SF3 archers and SFCD archers are pretty good - but they're just not very useful in SF1 or SF2. Mages have been pretty good in just about every Shining Force game. (Though admittedly, I'd put the archers above them in SFCD.)
Rusty

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Great Paladin » Thu Sep 07 2006 12:18am

not that i don't like the bowmen, but they jus lack defence.
Great Paladin

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Skyblade » Thu Sep 07 2006 1:37am

Knights are just so-so. Not great, but not terrible. They can use ranged weapons and have nice movement.

Mages are awesome. Wonderful AoE attacks, even if they do cost MP. But these guys can take out whole groups when used properly.

Healers are nice. Since I hate using and buying healing items, I find these guys very handy at keeping my attack force and my cannon fodder in tippy top shape.

Archers have a decent range, but aren't really that wonderful aside from that. Rusty's right, Mages are better. By the time I get to where I can be picky about my Force, these guys are among the first to drop to the side (with the exception of SF2's May, who kicks @$$).

Warriors are nice, but I don't usually use them. The main character usually serves the role I would use these guys for, so they wind up vanishing too. Plus, I'm just not that fond of axes. Swords are so much nicer.
"D'you know like we were saying? About the Earth revolving? It's like when you were a kid. The first time they tell you that the world's turning, and you just can't quite believe it because everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it. The turn of the Earth. The ground beneath our feet is spinning at a thousand miles an hour, and the entire planet is hurtling around the sun at sixty seven thousand miles an hour. And I can feel it. We're falling through space, you and me, clinging to the skin of this tiny little world, and if we let go... That's who I am. Now forget me."
~Doctor Who~

///Skyblade the Ultima Mage\\\
\\\----The Shining Legion----///
"D'you know like we were saying? About the Earth revolving? It's like when you were a kid. The first time they tell you that the world's turning, and you just can't quite believe it because everything looks like it's standing still. I can feel it. The turn of the Earth. The ground beneath our feet is spinning at a thousand miles an hour, and the entire planet is hurtling around the sun at sixty seven thousand miles an hour. And I can feel it. We're falling through space, you and me, clinging to the skin of this tiny little world, and if we let go... That's who I am. Now forget me."
~Doctor Who~

///Skyblade the Ultima Mage\\\
\\\----The Shining Legion----///
Skyblade

The Ultima Mage
Shining Hero

Location: Dallas, Texas, The United States, North America, The Western Hemisphere, Earth, The Solar System, Th

Postby Demonic Weasel » Thu Sep 07 2006 3:02am

I'd be willing to contest the point of the archers though. The only game in which there was no single archer who could really keep up with the main group in a good way was LoGI and Lyle was decent. SFCD and SF3 both had very excellent archers. SF2 had May and I didn't think that Elric and Janet were horrible. And Sonnette is probably one of the most solid archers period.
weasels you pansy

uh...
weasels you pansy

uh...
Demonic Weasel

Waterlord
Shining Legend

Postby Orange Gort » Thu Sep 07 2006 7:41am

SF1- Not a decent archer. Lyle is the best, but he still isn't above par.
SF2- May is the best of the 4, and is actually a pretty decent archer.
SFCD- They are all insanely powerful. They are only good though because SFCD is screwed up in that way, and attack power is given more to those who normally have less. (Like the monks and archers) So I don't really count them.
SFFC- Sonnette is pretty dang good. Her and May are probably the best of the "Genesis Age" archers.
SF3- 10 possible archers in SF3. 5 possible archers in Scenario 2. Bernard and Waltz > All

As strong as SF3 is in Archers it is just as weak in Gladiators/Warriors. With the exception of only Final Conflict it has the worst Gladiators/Warriors in the series. Randolf rules all!
What's up hen?
What's up hen?
Orange Gort

The Creator
Shining Hero

Postby Rusty » Thu Sep 07 2006 8:12am

I found Hayward to be better than Bernard. *Shrugs*

Also note that SF:FC came after SFCD (and I'm not talking about Gaidens 1 and 2. I mean SFCD.)
Rusty

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Orange Gort » Thu Sep 07 2006 10:49am

They're probabaly about the same. You could throw Garosh in the mix too.

If you consider Birdmen a "common class" then I might have to switch my vote from archers to birdmen, especially with SF2. Luke and Skreech are useless.
What's up hen?
What's up hen?
Orange Gort

The Creator
Shining Hero

Postby Boken The Forgotten Hero » Fri Sep 08 2006 4:29am

I am with Orange Gort on birdmen being a "common class". Unless final conflict dose not have any birdmen in the game all the shining games have them in.

Yea they have good movement and thy can fly but who cares if you have bad attack and an even worse defense.

SF1- completely useless
SF2- better then SF1 but not my much, and do not point out peter to me. Technicly he is a Phoenix not a birdman.

SFCD- these guy are OK, there even 1 good one in there

SF3- birdmen have there usefulness in this game but in the end there are not amazing either.
Boken The Forgotten Hero

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby domingo43 » Fri Sep 08 2006 4:45am

I'm so sorry that I'm not perfect and that I forgot to add them in my poll. :roll:

SF1- completely useless
SF2- better then SF1 but not my much, and do not point out peter to me. Technicly he is a Phoenix not a birdman.

SFCD- these guy are OK, there even 1 good one in there

SF3- birdmen have there usefulness in this game but in the end there are not amazing either.

I do beg to differ, SF1 birdmen are better than SF2 birdmen, because Screech is unbelievably horrible, and Luke is mediocre. I'm not saying that the birdmen in SF1 are good 'cause they're pretty bad, but Balbaroy and Amon surpass Luke and Screech.

No warez/piracy

No warez/piracy

domingo43

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Ansa » Fri Sep 08 2006 5:55am

Balbory and Amon FTW! >.>

Well heres my rundown.

Knights/Paladins/PGKT - Most useless in my opinion, in SF1 most were actually good and could hold there own against enemies, in SF2 you didn't have anywhere close to as many but Rick and Eric are badass (I seriously wish I could make both of them PGKT's, Rick is godly in def and Eric is godly in attack). In the Gadiens they were not nearly as useful as in the past games but at least one was worth useing. In SF3 they pretty much blew, Dantares couldn't hold his own against even 1 enemy most of the time even if he had high level, Campbell was only worth useing because he's the only one you get in Medions force and lets face it Donhort blew, I useally had him out first chance I got. Knights get my vote for this poll.

Mage/Wizards/Sorccers - How can anyone put this? I mean honestly sure they are limited until SF3 but in SF3 they kick so much ass it's not even funny, add on Earth Rods and they become nearly UNSTOPABLE! Although they have there own shortcommings in the other games generally they are one of the strongest attackers and in SF1 Tao can easily take down most of the monesters end game with blaze level 4, although she's quite weakend vs. bosses.

Healers/Vicars - What no love for Monks? Well they should be added to common class since I think every SF game at at least 1... anyway, Healers are what heal you, and even make decent attackers if you give them cursed weapons, and anyone with Aura 4>all, and in Sf3 That's not actually going out of the way to get... so it's pretty much a godsend.

Warriors/Gladators/Barons - They are built to be tanks but besides SF1 they don't really end of very... tank like, but are great attackers none the less, although in SF3 they arn't as useable as in the past games I useally always have at least 1 on my team in every game, they make near perfect frontline soldiers and unlike most of the knights they can hold there own against enemies.

Archers/Snipers/Ect - Why in the hell did these get voted as worst? They start out with limited range but once that improves (useally around promotion) they easily become the most useful units. And Centar bowmen/women always kick sooo much ass (IE May in SF2 and Waltz in SF3 S2). Archers useally are the best backup unit you can get in any situation and it's been far more then a dozen times where they have saved a character at one time or another. Sf1 really just gives them a bad rap since none of them (besides Lyle who by the time you get him just isn't worth building up unless you play the game hardcore) are even remotely decent.
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
Ansa

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Rusty » Fri Sep 08 2006 6:01am

Ansa @ Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:55 am) wrote: ...Dantares couldn't hold his own against even 1 enemy most of the time even if he had high level, Campbell was only worth useing because he's the only one you get in Medions force...

What are you smoking?

No. Seriously. What? Dantares and Campbell are EXTREMELY SOLID CHARACTERS in SF3. How can you say they can't even hold their own against one enemy???
Rusty

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Orange Gort » Fri Sep 08 2006 8:35am

Dantares is very possibly the best Knight in Shinin Force 3.

domingo43) wrote:Screech is unbelievably horrible, and Luke is mediocre.

I usually don't like to use profane language, but just thinking of Screech and Luke is enough to make me loose it.Image

Boken- Kiddo in Final Conflict is a great birdman and Julia is pretty good too.
What's up hen?
What's up hen?
Orange Gort

The Creator
Shining Hero

Postby Kaerou » Fri Sep 08 2006 11:04am

I mistakenly voted for Knights.. but that vote should really go for Warriors / Barons. Honestly, there isnt one SF game that i didnt swap these guys out ASAP. Their movement is just too terrible, and i.. actually am not too fond of Dwarves.

And on the topic of Birdfolk.. i love them, even keep them on the force in favor of 'better' stated chaarcters. Eldar in my SF3 outranks every other member, and is on par with Synbios at the same level, she just needed some early training. In SFCD, Claude is godly. In SF, Amon and Balbaroy were fairly solid if you gave them some attention and training early on.

I admit, in SF2 Luke and Screech were average at best, but Luke in particular can become a solid warrior with some extra training (though really, i find if you want to make him special, you have to cheat and keep reloading level ups, which are random, to get decent scores)
-ELDAR APPRECIATION SOCIETY-
-ELDAR APPRECIATION SOCIETY-
Kaerou

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Next

Return to All Things Shining