All Things Shining: Worst "common" class in the series?

Knights, Mages, Healers...

If your topic relates to more than one Shining game, post it here!

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Worst "common" class in the series

Knights/Paladins
20%
Mages/Wizards
3%
Healers/Vicars
18%
Warriors/Gladiators
29%
Archers/Snipers or Bowmasters
30%

Total votes: 79

phat_chris
Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Worst "common" class in the series?

Post by phat_chris »

I always give Birdmen the Power ring in SF3 +5 to attack and defence is a real help.
Ansa
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Ansa »

Boken The Forgotten Hero @ Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:04 am) wrote: How can you say Elder is not that hare to level up. When you first get her even witht he wings there still a good chance of her getting killed in one hit, and to make thing worse she only ends up do 2-3 damage. I do think she gets some good stat boost in level up but still super annoying to level up when you first get her.
No she can't take on enemies by herself but during that first battle your bound to have a few enemies which get low HP and she's perfect if you don't want to waste a good hit on an enemy already almost dead. If you have that much trouble building her up I'd suggest just using her when you can and then in the mansion battle with the vandal take advantage of that battle and build her up then, it's really quite easy to do in that might since the area isn't that large and she can pretty much go all over the map in 2 turns.
I have a youtube channel now that focuses on vlogs about things going on in the gaming industry!

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheNovelMike
Great Paladin
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Great Paladin »

Knights - They're good, Arthur owned in SF1 if prmoted to lvl. 20, some games, they start out strong then weaken out. Sf2, Eric aand Rick, best centaurs

Mages/Wizards- I don't what to say about them, they're great in SF 1 and 2, And in gaiden II, especially may. In SF2, I'd rather go for sorcerer

Healers/Vicars - The only Great healers are Karna as a master monk in SF 2, actually all the master monks. In sword of hajya (GG), LUke is the strongest character on my force, his stats increased by 3 everytime when u promoted him

Warriors - I always have them, SF1, they're movement is a 6, and they're really strong. When you promte them, they do lose, but then gain it back. After SF1, they shrunk they're movement for sum reason. Gyan and Jaha are awesome, actually all of them in SF 2 are awesome. In gaiden II, Jaha and Rhode are great, but i found Jaha to have a bit better defence against freeze 3

Snipers- Ahhhh, i never have them on my team. When I get Lyle, I'll try him out. In SF2, May is the best. In Sword of Hajya (gg) I always use both graham and chester, they're really strong for archers.

Birdmen - I don't know what to say. Jus terrible defence. I hear Balbaroy can be good though. I SF2, i found luke to be stronger than skreech. Claude in SOH was pretty damn good for a bird.
Snipes
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by Snipes »

I'm actually really suprised anyone would vote for knights. They're essentially your main powerhouse frontline fighters in any Shining Force game you play. Most of the knights in all the games remain quite useful until the very end. Look at Arthur, Earnest, and Pelle for instance. Or perhaps Eric, Chester, and Rick from 2. I actually find it pretty difficult to find any knights that aren't useful throughout the entire game in Shining Force 3.
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Sartre

Missing Amigo
Loftus
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Loftus »

Knights- i like using centaurs, i liked most of them from sf1 (i have ALOT more experience in sf1 then other sf games).. arthur, ken, pelle, mae and Earnest were all either really good or made up for it by looking cool (Earnest :p) i like the idea of good movement and atack on the whole, i liked Eric from sfcd and apis, they were good... and not forgetting Dantares.. he was really good for a starting char :D

Mages/Wizards- these can't be the worst, in my opinion, they are the only unit that ignors defence, and can hit more than one unit, Tao, Alef and Anri were all excellent, i liked Kazin.. Wendy was good from sfcd masquirin was really good from sf3 as well. a very good class IMO.

Healers/Vicars - these get my vote as worst... i admit they can be needed and i always have one, but that can be said for all the other classes, i don't like having to rely on being hit so these guys can get xp.. monks is a different q (knuckles from sfg:fc is AMAZING..... but healers.. nah.

Warriors - from sf1? amazing.. luke and gort were two of my favourite chars from that game, looked really cool after promotion were impossible to take out and packed a punch as well. i HATED gladiators from sf2 (although didn't mind them as warriors)and i suppose i quite liked the majority of the sfcd and sf3 ones.

Snipers- quite good on the whole, pretty useful and normally floating around my team through most of the game, no amazing ones that i can think of (maybe may from sf2 and lyle from sf1 if they count) but still pretty useful.

Birdmen - birdmen.. poor birdmen, they get constantly moaned at for being ****.. but i have to say i don't mind them. i agree on the whole they aint great, but i liked balbaroy, and luke from sf2 was okay.. and i liked Eldar from sf3 as well. it comes down to whether or not you don't mind having slightly lower stats than main frontline warriors in place of incredible speed and movement and looking really cool while killing things.

so.. my final answer = healers/vicars.. just not cool enough to use for me.
There are no limits.
zagato05

Post by zagato05 »

I would have to choose Warriors. I am never too fond of them. I get rid of them as soon as I can in SF1 and in SF2 I only use Jaha as a Baron. I use them somewhat in the gaidens but I usually choose an other class over them.
knifelord
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by knifelord »

I'd say archers and bowmasters because there are only 3 of them and two of them really suck. Lyle is the only good one of his class. Hans is very weak and looks like a toothpick, and Diane is a bit better but still looks like a toothpick.

(I'm only reffering to Shining Force on this one)
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

SF1 solos finished: Bleu, Domingo, Gong, Musashi
Martin III
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Martin III »

knifelord @ Sun May 13, 2007 11:18 pm) wrote: (I'm only reffering to Shining Force on this one)
Ah yes, but you see, Chester, Shade, May, and Sonette all rock. And I understand there are a few good archers in Shining Force III, though I haven't gotten that far yet...

EDIT: By the way, Lyle isn't actually an archer. He's an assault knight.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
Aldur
FABULOUS
Shining Legend

Post by Aldur »

Martin III @ Mon May 14, 2007 10:38 pm) wrote: And I understand there are a few good archers in Shining Force III, though I haven't gotten that far yet...
You've not gotten to the second battle?
TheUnknownMarine: Man I don't like the feel of this.
VoxPVoxD: take it out of your butt

Kalos Krystalpaw EXP: 129,000/136,000
135/135 HP, 35 AC, 28 AC flat footed, 18 AC touch, Spell Resistance: 28, Fort+32 Reflex+24 Will+27
Energy Resistance Acid: 30
Energy Resistance Cold: 30
Universal Energy Resistance: 10 DR: 10/magic
24 hour Invocations: See the Unseen, Beguiling Influence, Vandal Knowledge, Dark One's Own Luck: Fort

13425 personal GP Kalos
0th: 6/6, 1st: 9/9-1, 2nd:9/9-1 3rd: 9/9-1 4th: 8/8-1 5th: 7/7-1 6th: 6/6-1
Martin III
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Martin III »

Aldur @ Tue May 15, 2007 12:18 am) wrote: You've not gotten to the second battle?
Yeah, that's right. Go ahead... laugh. (sniffle) :(
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

knifelord
Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Post by knifelord »

Martin III @ Mon May 14, 2007 10:38 pm) wrote: Lyle isn't actually an archer. He's an assault knight.
Meh, whatever, mere technicalities.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

SF1 solos finished: Bleu, Domingo, Gong, Musashi
Red

Post by Red »

eh its been over a month but i think ill throw in my input lol.

I personally think that Knights/Paladins are the weakest. At least for me they are. They always seem to fall behind. High HP, mediocre defense, decent attack, and good movement on good ground. The thing that really bothers me is the lack of movement on anything with 30% mobility(or whatever its called). Every desert, forest, ruins, etc. they can barely move 5. That makes them almost useless during those battles.

I use my healers all the time for well, healing. :shock:

Archers can keep up during those hard terrain battles. I usually keep them pretty well protected so they are useful for me. But i also use a lot of "support" role members.

Mages I love. Blaze, Freeze, Bolt, and other spells are so much fun to decimate a whole group of enemies :angry:

DISCLAIMER: Ive only had the opportunity to play SF: LOTG, SF II, and SF:RotDD that are force games.
OllieB

Post by OllieB »

Knights and paladins annoy me... For me, all of my knights except for the first one end up being a big let down. Their stats don't accelerate and they can't do much damage, while the first knight that I ever got is playin' with the big boys...
My youtube - Guitar solos and covers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOllieB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-----------------------------------------------
You Killed General Fafhard...
You Bastard!
Dreco3000

Post by Dreco3000 »

in my opinion warriors are just not worth the hasle. As for birdfolk i hate them all (except for Peter)
" The first step to knowing everything is to admit you know nothing. "

"People tell me to be more open minded but im afraid my brains will fall out."
Maximus Aureillus
Suspended by request
Shining Member

Post by Maximus Aureillus »

To me healers are rather useless if I've a fast and hard hitting force, which I usually do late in the game. I've problems keeping healers up to speed, although SFCD and SFFC monks are a joy to use. SF2 healers are ridiculously over powered. They could have distributed some of the stats to those frigging birdmen. Back to the topic. Healers and Vicars are a pain to use for me, as leveling them up tends to drag the battle on unnecessarily. So kudos to those that use the healer/vicar class properly.
Destiny is a web of roads. Allah has decided our fates at the end of each. Ultimately it is up to us to choose which one we take.

Post by Rohde Is Underrated »

In my play-throughs of SF1&2 my final parties didn't have a single healer in them, I instead used healing items. Was much more effective for me being able to use any unit on the force to heal whenever I wanted them to, sure they didn't heal as much damage as a heal 3, 4 or an aura would but i never ran the risk of a healers turn not coming around fast enough and losing a unit because another enemy went first.

Close second behind them I would say are knights, they are great at beginning with their move range and being able to use spears, but by the end of the game they are usually getting laughed at by the forces of evil. (Check this out! He has a Paladin in his party, let's all point and laugh.)
There is no image of Rohde in the SFII avatar Gallery, that makes me a sad panda.

Fear my pink text mortals!!!

I made my signature purple and underlined so it looks like a link HAHAHA!

ROFLCOPTER
Killian22

Post by Killian22 »

I don't think theres any worst classes! everything i think, depends on your team in general !!
Martin III
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Martin III »

Killian22 @ Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:52 pm) wrote: I don't think theres any worst classes! everything i think, depends on your team in general !!
Totally agree; I've never voted on this poll in all the years it's been up. Each of the common classes is simply too valuable for me to call any of them the worst.

Cullsoft
Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Post by Cullsoft »

Martin III @ Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:09 am) wrote: Totally agree; I've never voted on this poll in all the years it's been up. Each of the common classes is simply too valuable for me to call any of them the worst.
Okay, rather than the thought of "worst" (which isn't entirely fair, as some people find all of them of value), how about looking at the question this way:

If you had a team of a leader and one each of these classes (Knight, Warrior, Priest, Mage, Archer), and for some reason or another could only take 5 of them into battle (including the Hero)... who would sit out?
Martin III
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Martin III »

Culley O'Fursdom @ Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:54 am) wrote: Okay, rather than the thought of "worst" (which isn't entirely fair, as some people find all of them of value), how about looking at the question this way:

If you had a team of a leader and one each of these classes (Knight, Warrior, Priest, Mage, Archer), and for some reason or another could only take 5 of them into battle (including the Hero)... who would sit out?
Ooof. Tough one. My first instinct is the archer, but then, something about not having range 3 attacks until my mage learns Freeze level 3 or Spark level 2 makes me... though I guess archers generally don't get range 3 until promotion, either... Hmm. I don't like that the mages have less offensive power than the archers most of the time, though. Then again, at least they don't have to worry about enemies dodging, or high Defense foes.

Heck. Guess I'll go with Archer, then.