Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums All Things Shining
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Using the map

Does anybody do it?

If your topic relates to more than one Shining game, post it here!

Using the map

Postby DomingoRules! » Sat Feb 25 2017 7:53pm

With playing cooperatively through Shining Force 1, 2, and starting Final Conflict with a friend who's new to the series, to starting up Shining Force 3 Translated on my own now that I have a CD burner, I've obviously been playing lots of Shining Force lately. While playing some a little bit earlier today, something occurred to me when going to save mid-battle.

The map option. It's a cool idea for an SRPG, but does anybody actually use it? I know I pretty much never have, since it's a lot easier, and more informative, to simply scroll around on the map with the cursor. I'm just curious if anybody has ever actually gotten some solid use out of the feature in any of the games, because even as a kid the only times I ever found myself referring to it at all in earnest was during the two cave battles in SF2.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Re: Using the map

Postby MXC » Sat Feb 25 2017 8:27pm

The only time I've used it is for dark battles or any time where the enemies are hidden (Climbing Tower SF2)
MXC

Shining Legend

Re: Using the map

Postby DomingoRules! » Sat Feb 25 2017 11:59pm

MXC wrote:The only time I've used it is for dark battles or any time where the enemies are hidden (Climbing Tower SF2)

I may have sometimes used it for hidden enemies as well, but oftentimes (especially nowadays since I pretty much have that stuff roughly memorized anyway) I'm more likely to just click on spots where I believe there may be hidden enemies to confirm what they are, and check their placement simultaneously.

Speaking of hidden stuff though, playing through Shining Force 3 I have been finding myself sometimes referencing the map during battles with lots of trees, since characters in forests are practically invisible.
DomingoRules!

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Return to All Things Shining