Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums All Things Shining
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

The useless debate of the day

About feet.

If your topic relates to more than one Shining game, post it here!

The useless debate of the day

Postby Roch-Silverfang » Wed Jan 25 2017 7:10pm

Okay, let's go debate. :)
Take a look to the feet of these wolfling/foxling/dragonute pictures (I will call them "furling", more simple :) ) :

This young husky is barefoot :
WARNING: SPOILER!

This white tiger from the arena is barefoot too :

This blue lion is the general of Runefaust army, but even if he's the general of Runefaust army, he is barefoot! :(

Zylo the old wolf wears pierced "socks" to protect his feet (I don't know why, tissue don't protect the soles), but the most sensible part of his feet (toes) are out.

This dragon wears some protections for the top of his feet. A leather footwrap protect his soles but his toes and heels are naked and touch the harsh ground.

AND THIS ONE (Baron) WEARS BOOTS :shock:

If you play to Shining Tears/Winds game, you will see all beastmen character barefoot, even background NPCs. Generally, in the Shining series, beastmen are mostly barefoot.

Yes, I say "mostly" because give an eye to the feet of these :

YES ! Some of them wears sandals ! (And if you look well, even those who wears sandals let their toes, touching the ground.)

So, why most of furling prefer be totally barefoot ? Why few of them have sandals?
It's not because they have claws, don't forgot Baron wears boots.

That's all. This is the useless debate :thumbsup:
What is your opinion?

Re: The useless debate of the day

Postby ZethaPonderer » Sun Jan 29 2017 10:30pm

Actually this debate is not entirely useless as this whole furlings being barefoot while occasionally wearing sandals and boots just relies on who designed the artstyle for all of the Shining series. It's not even the furlings choice on the matter as they look cool either way with or without boots.

Also, you missed Doyle from Shining the Holy Ark. He's a furling just like Zylo and wears boots too along with Baron (whoever he is idk). You don't even see him barefoot at all throughout the game and he looks cool for a werewolf berserker ninja. XD
ZethaPonderer

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Roch-Silverfang » Mon Jan 30 2017 11:49am

Ha, right for Doyle and thanks for the answer. Agree for character designers and it's funny to think that one wants them barefoot, another prefer sandals...
But the debate was more "RP", without artist preference. I don't know if it's clear :)

Postby ZethaPonderer » Tue Jan 31 2017 7:53am

This also reminds me and I've been thinking pretty hard on this one Roch-Silverfang. You know General Elliot from SF1? According to your logic, he's classified as a furling and is probably the only dragonute in the entire SF series to wear "boots" (technically knight boots) alongside Doyle and Baron when you see his battle animation from the remake (GBA) and original (Genesis/MegaDrive).

Check Elliot out (first picture link is Genesis and the other's GBA)

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/shi ... 0325145335

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/shi ... 0519015228

I also forgot Basso as well from Shining the Holy Ark who also doesn't wear boots too. As well as Dantom from SFCD who's also a furling that doesn't wear boots too when you see his battle animation (yet his map sprite shows him wearing boots so the art designers really messed up on that detail).

Besides, I'm noticing the more furlings wear boots the more likely they come out to be intelligent and civilized compared to other furlings who either wear sandals or are just barefoot. They display slight intelligence but having that animalistic brutish nature.

So my theory goes like this,

Furlings with boots = Intelligence, Civilized behavior, Mature, Slightly Animalistic

Furlings either barefoot or having sandals = Slightly Intelligent, Animalistic, Instinctual, Uncivilized behavior
ZethaPonderer

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Roch-Silverfang » Tue Jan 31 2017 1:34pm

Aw, you're hard with the "less intelligent" thing. I prefer the "savage" or "wild" term. Sure, Baron looks more civilized than all others furling, but don't forgot, the barefoot blue lion is the general of Runefaust army in Shining Soul, exactly like Elliot in Shining Force. The foxling shopkeeper here at the top left has naked feet too.

In Shining Tears, Volg is innkeeper AND the leader of Weissritter mercenary, even if he's topless and barefoot

Fenrir from Shining Blade (the wolf with sandals) is an important character, leader of I don't know very well what (I'm playing to the game actually) and he's well-dressed.

It's why I don't think if it's about intelligence/civilized. But something is sure, some furlings are more savage than others, like Zylo.
It should be great if more people participate in this debate, to know their opinion. There is so many things to say :)

Postby ZethaPonderer » Tue Jan 31 2017 5:35pm

On a technical standpoint, you are correct there Roch-Silverfang. However, both General Elliot and the Blue Barefoot Lion from Shining Soul 2 are different in terms of personalities.

The BareFoot Blue Lion despite being a general really came off pretty "wild" if you ask me when he starts attacking which proves my theory. You can replace his dialogue in SS2 as "I'm a big scary lion. Watch as I create wind storms out of my sword. Fear me ROAR!"

Elliot on the other hand is a different furling entirely since he never wanted to fight Max from SF1 in the first place yet he is being blackmailed by Darksol to do so which makes him pretty mature as to how he is handling his fate thus proving my theory on furlings with boots being more mature-minded. Really makes me wish we have General Elliot as a playable character in the Force (Thank you SF: Final Conflict for addressing this as you get a furling flying dragonute in the game Eric who is the son of General Elliot).

Check Elliot's son Eric out from SF: Final Conflict.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/shi ... l_Conflict)_image.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100519044414

If you can prove to me just a little more that any furling character in the later Shining series (e.g. Fenrir being mature-minded despite being barefoot or Baron being wild and savage despite wearing boots) can break my theory that'll be great because as far as I'm aware of, it's looking really plausible if you ask me although I'm pretty sure there are holes in every theory.

Edit: Tried posting a link to the picture of Eric from SF: Final Conflict, but it's not working. Just google and you'll hopefully see a picture of him floating somewhere in Google Images.
ZethaPonderer

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Roch-Silverfang » Fri Feb 03 2017 2:19am

I admit, you have a good point with Elliot and the blue lion. Yes, those who are barefoot are probably more "savage" than others. But after playing more to Shining Blade, Fenrir is a very civilized person. Look at this official art (from Shining Blade Arcus)

Yes, he can be the mentor of characters. And he has enough self control to keep his balance, even if he wears sandals (barefoot is better for this exercise I think :) )
Those who wears sandals are probably less savage than those who are barefoot, but if you look well, their clawed toes are always out of the shoes. It's why I don't reject your opinion.

I can't speak about Baron, never play to Shining Force Neo. Maybe someone can give us his light about this?

As I say, Volg from Shining Tears is the leader of Weissrister and innkeeper. He's not "on fire", and search alliance with the king, dwarfs and "bigfoot" people from icy mountain (he's barefoot in the snow, awww poor wolfeh). So, he seems civilized too.

I think (it's just a personal opinion) furling are basically barefoot in their culture. If adults are barefoot, cubs are probably raised to being barefoot. In Shining Tears, many of them live in the city and they have their own districts (Lionmane, if I remember well), but even in a civilized human city, their feet are naked. What do you think about this?
This fact give to me an another theory... I will think about these one before say it.

But hey, it's a pleasure to meet someone who knows well Shining series too :)

(And sorry if my english can be bad, It's not my mothertongue :blush: )

Return to All Things Shining