Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums All Things Shining
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

New Life to the site?

We are alive and strong, right?

If your topic relates to more than one Shining game, post it here!

New Life to the site?

Postby DiegoMM » Mon Oct 20 2014 3:51am

Hi guys, I was wondering why not give new life to the shiningforcecentral site. I know moogie is having a hard time lately, but I really miss updates, new fanarts, info about the new games and other stuff.

I think its sad here become a site only for classical shining force, but even if you dont like what sega is doing lately, i think would be better build a place where every type of shining fan could gather together and talk, hardcore fans, new fans, anyone. Maybe add space for "shining like" games, like feda, stalker series and, why not, golden sun.

We have a lot of moderators and people working in fan games, frequently someone new shows up wanting to do something for the site. We could do this work while moogie is recovering.

Its just a sincere thought about making this a better and growing place, dont need to trhow any stones in my face :eyebrow:

What you guys think about it? :thumbsup:
Interesting articles about true things shining: http://www.everystudent.com/
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: New Life to the site?

Postby Mupen64 Man » Mon Oct 20 2014 5:59am

I think it would be very nice to breath new life into the site, but what would we do? It seems nowadays that only regulars frequent the site, and newcomers come and go. How would we repopulate the site with new enthusiasm?
You can find me at Emulator-Zone Forums as well.
You can find me at Emulator-Zone Forums as well.
Mupen64 Man

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Stordarth » Mon Oct 20 2014 2:18pm

I think that's a mite unfair to say it's for 'classic SF only'. Pretty much every shining game ever made has its own forum for talking about them. The fact that the classics are still talked about more than the new stuff is twofold; 1. We actually had the old games localised, 2. The classic games made Shining a household name, while the new ones leach off of the name's reputation. We won't prevent people talking about them in their respective forums, but most people here simply don't care for the new direction and have nothing else to say.

As for other non-shining rpgs; use the Other RPGs forum. That's why we have it.
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Omega Entity » Mon Oct 20 2014 4:06pm

I wouldn't go so far as to call 'Shining Force' a household name - I remember talking to people and really only finding -one- that actually knew what game I was talking about, and that was Shining Force 2. At least here in the States.
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
(8:23:45 PM) ehow1990: stupid question: why do you have hay there?
(8:23:54 PM) YsFanatic18: She was feedigng horses
(8:23:58 PM) MXC0Spike: Barn sex
(8:24:07 PM) ahath714: She stuffs.
(8:24:39 PM) ehow1990: ask a stupid question and everybody has an answer XD
Omega Entity

*jiggle*
Shining Legend

Postby Stordarth » Mon Oct 20 2014 5:32pm

I used the term loosely for lack of a better one. Essentially referring to whatever popularity it did have.
Stordarth

The L-Block Anomaly
Administrator

Postby Rune » Mon Oct 20 2014 9:52pm

The last person that suggested adding in golden sun did get a few rocks in the face, but they really asked for it.
Bury me with my money.
Bury me with my money.
Rune

Shut the feck up fatty.
Shining Legend

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Tue Oct 21 2014 6:41am

Rune wrote:The last person that suggested adding in golden sun did get a few rocks in the face, but they really asked for it.

Yeah it had everything to do with their attitude rather than golden sun.
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Sinful Force » Fri Oct 24 2014 2:44pm

Lord Oddeye sama wrote:
Rune wrote:The last person that suggested adding in golden sun did get a few rocks in the face, but they really asked for it.

I didn't see no attitude from him unless I missed something, Oddeye? But in general I too think there should be one section dedicated to all other Camelot made games lumped together at least. Have it all the way at the bottom of the forum, tucked away, for all I care. But one forum where I can talk about other Camelot games would be really, really great. Cause as a Camelot only Shining fan, having that topic would actually mean something to me instead of all the other crap non-Camelot made Shining games with their very own forum section... In all honestly, I don't understand why we have all those non-Camelot Shining games topics? I mean, like it was said here in this topic already, this is clearly a Camelot only Shining forum only. And other Camelot games are way more Shining then the official crap Sega ones anyways. So my suggestion to have more of what we like, Camelot, is not totally out of the question. In fact, I think other fan sites of one game series have sections dedicated to other games from said company, no?

That, and if there is talk of other Camelot made games, the more popular ones, like Golden Sun, would surely bring in new fans to the classic Shining series to boot, no?

But whatever. That's my two cents. Whatever gets done gets done. Not up to me. And I got nothing more to say to this. Think I've made myself pretty clear?.... Right. Back to the Dark Soul arts ways I go...
Sinful Force

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Geoffrey Duke » Fri Oct 24 2014 3:46pm

Maybe one day we will see a new Shining game that will revive the series, but I doubt it. Of course, anything's possible. :)
We defend the kind.
We defend the kind.
Geoffrey Duke

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Fri Oct 24 2014 5:03pm

Sinful Force wrote:
Lord Oddeye sama wrote:

I didn't see no attitude from him unless I missed something, Oddeye? But in general I too think there should be one section dedicated to all other Camelot made games lumped together at least. Have it all the way at the bottom of the forum, tucked away, for all I care. But one forum where I can talk about other Camelot games would be really, really great. Cause as a Camelot only Shining fan, having that topic would actually mean something to me instead of all the other crap non-Camelot made Shining games with their very own forum section... In all honestly, I don't understand why we have all those non-Camelot Shining games topics? I mean, like it was said here in this topic already, this is clearly a Camelot only Shining forum only. And other Camelot games are way more Shining then the official crap Sega ones anyways. So my suggestion to have more of what we like, Camelot, is not totally out of the question. In fact, I think other fan sites of one game series have sections dedicated to other games from said company, no?

That, and if there is talk of other Camelot made games, the more popular ones, like Golden Sun, would surely bring in new fans to the classic Shining series to boot, no?

But whatever. That's my two cents. Whatever gets done gets done. Not up to me. And I got nothing more to say to this. Think I've made myself pretty clear?.... Right. Back to the Dark Soul arts ways I go...

You missed him throwing a tantrum every time someone said no to something he wanted and then calling everyone racists.

Anyway this site's supposed to cover all the Shining games that are officially part of the series, no more no less. So that's what it tries to do.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Geoffrey Duke » Fri Oct 24 2014 6:16pm

Maybe we should embrace the sexualization and metrosexualization of the series.

What do you guys think?
We defend the kind.
We defend the kind.
Geoffrey Duke

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Antman 537 » Fri Oct 24 2014 8:05pm

I for one have no interest in that. I'd be willing to give the new games a chance if any made it my way, though.
It seems to me that the core of the problem is that the forums have been established so long that most everything to discuss about the classic games has been discussed. And so the old members delve deeper and deeper into the code and modding of the game, it being the only undiscovered frontier. And when a new member does appear to post some question, it's an old hat that everyone here already knows about, so they get a curt answer to their question and then disappear again.

I would say, if we want more life in the forums, the bet solution is to hold more team games, events, and fun topics in general to get new members involved.
The other thing that is important is to be patient and accepting of new members. If we want to get the rising generation involved, we have to understand that they aren't going to be as old as us and therefore aren't going to be as mature. We'll need to be patient and let them learn and grow into this place.

EDIT: I acknowledge that mature is a relative term.
Last edited by Antman 537 on Sat Oct 25 2014 3:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antman 537

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Sat Oct 25 2014 9:00am

Geoffrey Duke wrote:Maybe we should embrace the sexualization and metrosexualization of the series.

What do you guys think?

I think that the things asked in this thread are very difficult but for the most part doable.

But the real question is, who among new members is interested by a team game or something similar? You'd want to post an interest check for whatever's being run just to see if it catches enough attention.

Personally the only things that keep me coming back are the SF3 translation and the odd fangame projects news that pop up once in a while.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Sinful Force » Sat Oct 25 2014 2:22pm

Lord Oddeye sama wrote:Anyway this site's supposed to cover all the Shining games that are officially part of the series, no more no less. So that's what it tries to do.

Sure, but what exactly is Shining? Is Shining also any non-Shining game with the Shining name attached to it? Can I slap the Shining name to the Mass Effect series and call it Shining? Me personally, I very strongly believe this not to be the case, not should it ever be encouraged. A name is just a name. Demon Souls changed to Dark Souls due to copyright issues, but it's still the exact same game series.

Everybody else on this forum looks at the other Shining games as non-Shining games, even the GBA remake of the first Shining Force game. So everybody else seems with me on this too. Camelot or nothing. So I still stand by what I said. All other Camelot games are more Shining then the bastardizations Sega is throwing out with zero respect to the real Shining Shiny games. And you expect me to support Sega further for this BS? Heck no! I vote we remove all those other bastard titles, if anything or at least lump them into one section as "Fake Shining games. Don't you believe it!" And no worries. No one will ever make a fan site for those games judging by the indication of how much love they get here. Because again. this is what I mean. Nobody cares about those other non-Camelot wasted space Shining games. But I bet if all those wasted topic were replaced with one where only all other Camelot Shining games were talked about, then hey, folks would be a lot more happy with those games & to chat about instead.

However in the end I don't really know what's best. Just getting my thoughts out there on what I think. Plus it couldn't hurt to try adding a Camelot only section for a bit just to see how it works. It could always be removed if it don't work out as planned. And I'm also just one opinion. If others don't see it this way, then no worries. It's not my site. Nor have I donated to keep it going financially yet either, nor am I as active as I should be. But can you really blame me and many others for not being as active anymore? Some of us just want more things to chat about & more activity. Not enough of this, and people start going "Bye, bye." What this topic keeps coming up. Folks want more, so give 'em more I say.
Sinful Force

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Sat Oct 25 2014 3:46pm

I dunno man, I'm going by the official claims from the copyright owners there, and for now that's Sega. They say what's Shining and what's not and their voice carries legal weight no matter how far it is from the truth. Likewise, no matter how many other games out there are closer to the classics, they aren't part of the series which this site covers.

Still, I think members should be allowed to talk about whatever part of the series they feel like. Putting a sticker that says "FALSE GAMES BURN SEGA" on the newer entries is only going to place the site in a negative light. Besides, the inactive sections already speak for themselves.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby DiegoMM » Sat Oct 25 2014 4:37pm

I really like the new games, really. (not Neo, but the others yes.) they're good games, sega put some efforts in them, some has old shining references, but sega moved on to another style, I prefer that than the Shining series be dead like golden axe, street of rage, beyond oasis, eternal champions, etc.
The old games are far better than the new ones, but most of us would agree than old games of any series normally are better than the new ones. The game market changed and some of us are frozen in time.

What I think is prejudice just doesnt help at all, attitudes like sinful force showed (burn sega burn) doenst hel at all. Nobody has obliggation to like every shining game, im not a great fan of shining in the darkness, but the game and their fans have my respect. My favorite game ever is Shining Force 2, but I respect who dont like it.

Im 30 years old now, played sega games all my life and its hard to be a sega fan nowadays, but if I see something good sega made I will not complain just because it from "new" sega. So, I like shining wind because it is a really good game, way better than Tears, even its not a strategy rpg made by camelot.
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Geoffrey Duke » Sat Oct 25 2014 8:22pm

Lord Oddeye sama wrote:I dunno man, I'm going by the official claims from the copyright owners there, and for now that's Sega. They say what's Shining and what's not and their voice carries legal weight no matter how far it is from the truth. Likewise, no matter how many other games out there are closer to the classics, they aren't part of the series which this site covers.

Still, I think members should be allowed to talk about whatever part of the series they feel like. Putting a sticker that says "FALSE GAMES BURN SEGA" on the newer entries is only going to place the site in a negative light. Besides, the inactive sections already speak for themselves.

I actually had hope that Sega would make a Shining Force IV. They have the talent. They just lack the will.

It's a shame. Shining Force IV, if done right, would make me quit MMORPGs for a while.

Unfortunately, even if the market conditions were perfect, we'd never see it. Not with Sega of Japan's current stance.
We defend the kind.
We defend the kind.
Geoffrey Duke

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby DiegoMM » Sat Oct 25 2014 10:36pm

Geoffrey, maybe someday another company will buy Sega and use their copyrights to make great games.
DiegoMM

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Zin » Sun Oct 26 2014 11:27am

Or we (idk me/someone else) could start a crowd sourcing fundraiser to buy the rights of SF from Sega so that any game made by the site is cannon. But maybe I'm just crazy and wanna see a SF featuring Domingo/descendant as the main character. Shining Force Magical Creature Revenge, maybe they wage war on manarina/humans mostly, a reverse of most SF where humanoids fight monsters lol. Ok that is a crazy idea.
For what it's worth I sent Sega a request for whether they are willing to sell the rights to SF and how much they would sell it for. I'm not going to hold my breath but it can't hurt to try eh? :thumbsup:
Zin

Postby Sinful Force » Sun Oct 26 2014 1:51pm

Lord Oddeye sama wrote:I dunno man, I'm going by the official claims from the copyright owners there, and for now that's Sega. They say what's Shining and what's not and their voice carries legal weight no matter how far it is from the truth. Likewise, no matter how many other games out there are closer to the classics, they aren't part of the series which this site covers.

Well yeah, of course. But I don't have to buy that or like it. Even Moogie agrees with this with that latest campaign she started, which begged for "Camelot" to make another Shining game, not Sega. Cause nobody cares about what Sega does with that name. Just look at the numbers at this site. It's all about Camelot. Camelot. Camelot. Long live Camelot! ... And screw Sega. Hey, hearing "Screw Sega" all the time isn't nothing new either these days. Especially here. So see what I mean? I mean for real, "Screw Sega." Loved them before, still do and live in la la land were I re-live those glory Sega days with glories games they released or published in the before days. But since the days they abandoned the Sega Saturn, they started to change way too much for the worse.

Lord Oddeye sama wrote:IStill, I think members should be allowed to talk about whatever part of the series they feel like. Putting a sticker that says "FALSE GAMES BURN SEGA" on the newer entries is only going to place the site in a negative light. Besides, the inactive sections already speak for themselves.

Well yeah, sure, but that's already started. Nobody cares about Sega anymore. Definitely not here. And yeah, those inactive sections do speak for themselves. But how about also something that's guaranteed to be more active then all those put together so that there's more to chat about here? I know chatting Shining & Camelot is why I'm here. Why is everybody else here is the real question & who should get catered to.

DiegoMM wrote:The game market changed and some of us are frozen in time.

I hate this saying, no personal offense, DiegoMM. :) But I just hate it. This is what's wrong with today. Sayings like this almost could of put a stop to Demon Souls. A series based purely on the days of old ways. Basically what you just said with that saying. Yet look how much it flourished just via word of mouth alone because it so still has an audience these days. And now it's a big time series. So no. That saying is not right. No way. It's what's very wrong with todays game industry. And I wish more dev's had to balls to make what they loved as a kid playing games instead of "Oh, well times have changed. Better get on the heavy story cut-scene feeding with pure hold handing zero challenge of these days bandwagon."

DiegoMM wrote:I really like the new games, really. (not Neo, but the others yes.) they're good games, sega put some efforts in them, some has old shining references, but sega moved on to another style, I prefer that than the Shining series be dead like golden axe, street of rage, beyond oasis, eternal champions, etc.

No, I don't think it's better that this series still live like it is right now instead of dead like Golden Axe & Streets of Rage. At least with those series there's still a chance for some sort of revival. And Golden Axe even had a 3D remake. Even if a budget one, what I'd do for a 3D remake of a Shining Force game. But for the Shining series being fully replaced by what is out now, series is officially truly dead. A much sadder faith if you ask me.

DiegoMM wrote:What I think is prejudice just doesnt help at all, attitudes like sinful force showed (burn sega burn) doenst hel at all. Nobody has obliggation to like every shining game, im not a great fan of shining in the darkness, but the game and their fans have my respect. My favorite game ever is Shining Force 2, but I respect who dont like it.

Damage has been done a long time ago. What I say now will not do more damage. If anything, it will help. Cause yes, complaining gets you voice heard. Kissing butt blindly just says keep on doing what your doing.

And hey, your free to like those other Shining games. I just want something more Shiny to talk about is what I'm saying here. Me saying to remove all those other non-Shiny/Camelot game topics was just a saying to go with what I said. I couldn't care less if they stay or go.

DiegoMM wrote:Im 30 years old now, played sega games all my life and its hard to be a sega fan nowadays, but if I see something good sega made I will not complain just because it from "new" sega. So, I like shining wind because it is a really good game, way better than Tears, even its not a strategy rpg made by camelot.

Just because I hate something don't mean I can't enjoy their releases still. I hate S*ny. But I own two PS3's and quite a few PSPs and even play games S*ny had a hand in, like Demon Souls & The Last of Us. Hating something doesn't mean I have to be totally blind and ignorant. Far from it. Being open minded is something I very hard try to thrive for. All day, everyday... course I still fail at times, but I'm human, and will keep on trying.

Geoffrey Duke wrote:It's a shame. Shining Force IV, if done right, would make me quit MMORPGs for a while.

Oh my goodness. An MMO?! And for awhile?! Why not something that lasts forever? :confused:

DiegoMM wrote:Geoffrey, maybe someday another company will buy Sega and use their copyrights to make great games.

So you say kiss Sega butt then say something like that...
Sinful Force

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Next

Return to All Things Shining