Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums All Things Shining
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Wiki needs you

If your topic relates to more than one Shining game, post it here!

Re: Shining Wiki needs you

Postby Martin III » Tue Jan 25 2011 2:27am

Moogie @ Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:49 am) wrote: I just made a quick tweak to the main page so it doesn't just show the "successfully installed" message, which was probably a bit offputting. By all means change what I've written, I just thought the other message needed to go ;)

Thanks so much for doing that, Moogie. I really should have just thrown something like that up so that people would know that there's someone there, rather than waiting to figure out the perfect main page.

Anyway, I went ahead and added a few things to the main page. One small step towards my getting back in the groove of things.

Culley - Recently updated pages has a link in the navigation menu on the left. Any suggestions on how to make it more obvious to visitors? I also put a link in the "Getting Started" section but I'm not sure that's any improvement.

Also noticed that many of the images from the old wiki don't appear. Any ideas on why this is?
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Christine » Sat Feb 05 2011 10:50am

All right then, back to this. For some reason, the replace text takes an humoungous period to take effect (if they do at all, there is no way to know for sure). So if things with templates seem to suddenly go weird, then do not worry, it's me trying to find a compromise for the templates.
Christine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Martin III » Tue Feb 08 2011 2:41am

Excellent. I've been a bit slow with my own edits, but I have been going through the articles on Shining Force CD characters and adding my findings on late promotions.

Also, I just noticed that it seems the articles from W through Z were somehow not imported from the old Shining Wiki. For instance, the articles on Woldol, Wizard, Yeesha, Zuika, Zynk, and Zylo are all missing from the new wiki. Is there a simple way to fix this, or should I just set about creating all those articles anew?
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Christine » Sun Feb 13 2011 10:54pm

It took 3 days for it to even start replacing this time. I have no clue how that works. I was out the weekend, so I only noticed today.

Martin, whatever you see in other wikis that you like, drop a line and I'll code it. I still have some screenshots to sort, but once that is finished, I'll start on it.
Christine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Loftus » Sun Feb 13 2011 11:45pm

Is this free for anyone to have create articles for, or is there a set few people that are allowed? in my free time (when im supposed to be studying lol) i would love to create some articles for the wiki, if that would be ok with everyone.

Am i right to assume we just pick something from the list of 'wanted pages' and start creating? :)
There are no limits.
There are no limits.
Loftus

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Cullsoft » Mon Feb 14 2011 12:07am

Loftus wrote:Is this free for anyone to have create articles for, or is there a set few people that are allowed? in my free time (when im supposed to be studying lol) i would love to create some articles for the wiki, if that would be ok with everyone.

Am i right to assume we just pick something from the list of 'wanted pages' and start creating? :)

From my work on the wiki, that's pretty much the case... though it helps to either ask Martin III about the page layout/template you should use, or at least check similar pages to get an idea of how the page should be laid out (e.g. if you're going to do a page about a character, look over other character pages to get an idea of their layout).
----- Culley's Shop RPG Trading Post & Figurine Emporium -----
- Warrior Pride, Dynamite & other items for sale
- Various figures for trading
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Click here for trading rates & more information
- Seeking Grace, Alef and May figurines, also Power Waters, Lucky Cookies and rare goods
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby Christine » Tue Feb 15 2011 4:10pm

This is the hierarchy of files I'm aiming for:

Images (Shining Force Central images)
*Artwork
**Artwork from --game-- (lists all artwork for game)
***Artwork of characters from --game--
***Artwork of enemies from --game--
***Artwork of items from --game--
*Sprites
**Sprites from --game-- (lists all sprites for game)
***Sprites of characters from --game--
***Sprites of enemies from --game--
***Sprites of items from --game--
*Screenshots
**Screenshots from --game-- (lists all screenshots for game)

Not sure where to put these:
***Images of --character--
****Artwork of --character--
****Sprites of --character--
Maybe... **Images from --game-- which in turn belongs to Images (Shining Force Central images).

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Christine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Cullsoft » Thu Mar 03 2011 10:54am

Something might want to be done about the site's registration email address.

Signed up to the new Wiki site yesterday (hadn't realised it'd been moved before now), and spotted I'd got a confirmation email for it... from what looks like a personal hotmail address. Ideally an address for the wiki (e.g. "wikiadmin@sfc") should be made for handling these, else it risks getting caught in spam filters and such (not to mention hinder site confidence).
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Fri Mar 18 2011 5:01pm

Cullsoft wrote:Something might want to be done about the site's registration email address.

Signed up to the new Wiki site yesterday (hadn't realised it'd been moved before now), and spotted I'd got a confirmation email for it... from what looks like a personal hotmail address. Ideally an address for the wiki (e.g. "wikiadmin@sfc") should be made for handling these, else it risks getting caught in spam filters and such (not to mention hinder site confidence).

Hmm, didn't know about this... I actually don't remember getting a confirmation e-mail for my account. I'm guessing this is something BoneIdol would have to fix.

Anyway, here to report that I went ahead and added all 10 of those end-of-the-alphabet articles which hadn't been imported to the new Wiki. Christine, you may want to give them a once-over for formatting issues, since all I did was a sloppy cut-and-paste. The articles in question are Wizard, Wizari, Woldol, Wolfling, Yeesha, Yi'el village, Yogurt (race), Zuika, Zylo, and Zynk.
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby sbloom85 » Tue Apr 12 2011 1:56am

How about adding pages regarding the Vandals and the evolution procedure?
sbloom85

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby sulfuroxp » Mon Apr 25 2011 10:53pm

i want to help.... but i don't know how =(
sulfuroxp

Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Wed Apr 27 2011 3:06am

sbloom85 wrote:How about adding pages regarding the Vandals and the evolution procedure?

Good idea; I'll add that to my "to do" list. Sadly I haven't gotten as much done on the Wiki these past couple months, in part because it seems like every time I go on there I have to deal with someone who's been using the Wiki for spam. :eww: But hopefully I'll get back into it before long, and in the meantime we have had a decent number of other editors contributing.
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Moogie » Mon Nov 21 2011 8:31pm

Could someone involved in the Wiki take a look at it? Culley pointed out to me it looks like it's been hacked or something and I'm clueless about Wiki stuff. Will see if I can suss it out...
The SFC Forum RPG is now live! Enjoy :)
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

Postby Moogie » Mon Nov 21 2011 8:44pm

Okay, I've changed the main page back I think but there's loads of edits and spam from a chap called High Wizard. I think I've banned him but I've no idea how to undo all his damage. Anyone?
Or, if the Wiki is unused should I just delete it?

---
edit
I've no idea how to browse all the articles and find the dodgy ones so I'm just clicking for a random page over and over and deleting any which are spam...

edit 2:
spent 90 mins going through random pages and deleting/restoring.
think i'm winning but not going to take up any more of this evening giving myself RSI ;)
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby Cullsoft » Tue Nov 22 2011 11:55am

Fantastic - thanks for getting on the case! :D

When you mentioned "deleting" I was worried you were completely removing each page, and thus any of the articles that had already been written... :fear: Fortunately I've just checked a few and they look like they've reverted to their correct states. :)

I'm not sure if there's an option in the backend to do regular backups of the wiki, but if there is it'd be handy for quickly reverting this sort of thing. Monthly backups sound reasonable to me, as I don't think it's updated that often these days, and although I suspect a backup wouldn't it be too large it would save on backup time and storage.

I guess we also need to think about handling user access levels, given how easy it is to sign up and cause this sort of trouble. IIRC Wikipedia has some level of peer/moderator review process where if an update is made, it has to be approved before the page is updated - implementing something like this may help to prevent this from happening again.
Cullsoft

Shining Furce
Shining Legend

Postby Moogie » Tue Nov 22 2011 4:09pm

Wish I could help on that front Cull, but I'm totally clueless and couldn't even find any kind of backend!

Anyone?! Help!
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby Earl » Wed Nov 23 2011 5:46am

Know anyone at Sonic Retro or Sega Retro? The wikis there are always active, and given the old school Sega love one of the sysops or admins there might be willing to lend an ear and some advice.
Earl

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Moogie » Sun Nov 27 2011 11:22am

'fraid not.
Looks like the Wiki's been done over again.
If someone in charge of it doesn't sort it out soon I shall just have to remove it.
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Administrator

Postby Zzasikar » Sun Nov 27 2011 5:36pm

It's such a shame Martin III left the community and stopped looking after the wiki. It was shaping up to be an awesome resource.
Zzasikar

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby zexxar » Sun Nov 27 2011 7:12pm

Yeah I also read he left the community but if you look at his profile it seems that he is online from time to time (last time: Wed Nov 23 2011 3:14am). So maybe a PM can help ?
Trent @ Sun Apr 10 2011 1:00pm wrote:You're the ultimate team player zexxar, always coming to the rescue!

samsengir wrote:Zexxar is a fabulous human being with more sex appeal in his little finger than all of F&G put together. Possibly all of SFC combined.
Trent @ Sun Apr 10 2011 1:00pm wrote:You're the ultimate team player zexxar, always coming to the rescue!

samsengir wrote:Zexxar is a fabulous human being with more sex appeal in his little finger than all of F&G put together. Possibly all of SFC combined.
zexxar

Team Game Saviour
Shining Legend

PreviousNext

Return to All Things Shining