Yeah, as I recall the original Wiki actually had seperate templates for Game, Character, Enemy, Race, Spell, Item, and Location. And I'd been wishing for a separate template for character classes as well.
The template changes look pretty good from what I've reviewed. I had been wanting to change "Birthplace" to "Nationality" in the Character template, since we can only be sure of the birthplace of two or three characters in the entire series, and nationality is more meaningful anyway. But I gather you decided to just eliminate that slot altogether? Or was that just a typo?
Ah, I forgot to add it.
It's there now, as origin. I think it fits more, because sometimes there are places which we don't know which country they come from (Village of the Far East). What do you think?
Sounds fine with me. Culley had actually already been talking about replacing a lot of the images on the Wiki. You may want to have a word with him, as he's looked at the file designations of a lot more of the Wiki's images than I have. All I can tell you is that all the images I personally uploaded to the wiki are .png.
I'll send him a pm for him to join us for this conversation then. There's a lot of duplicates and lower quality versions on the artwork section as well. They're all quite weirdly named. That's the least of the concerns however, because they're beginning to be properly tagged.
You'll have to forgive me as I have virtually no experience in running a wiki; the main reason I took on the Shining Wiki was because someone had to. So, I know nothing about installing stuff to the wiki... Help?
Well, I'm no expert either, but I know my way around it a fair bit.
This is the extension you need to add if you want the #if function:
Other extensions I'd recommend:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension ... ermanently
- delete it with no traces.
- you set this for users not login in and less than 5 edits and you're safe from bots.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension ... strictions
- right what it says on the tin.
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension ... loadViaZip
- can you image adding every portrait of SF3? No? Then add this and upload them all at once in a zip file. You can categorise them automatically as well. You can get rid of this one later, just for now so it's easier to add the sprites, the artwork, etc, massively for now.
- allows sysops to mass nuke pages created by a user (Very good to get rid of bot rubbish or dupe accounts.
- simply <3. You decide to change how a template is done, but there are too many pages with it already and it would be mamooth to edit them all. This is the answer.
This ones I'm not sure to suggest:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension ... Revisions2
- this will remove every single revision, cutting out the database significantly. I'm not sure if this is for everyone's tastes. I do like it and I find it useful to run every year as a means to shorten the size of the database. however, it's up to you (and Moogie, because she's the one that pays for the space we allocate) to decide.
- It displays the categories' hierarchy. Nice to spot errors
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension ... nThreading
- it makes the talk pages akin to a discussion forums.
If it's installing them which is the problem: