Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums All Things Shining
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Wiki needs you

If your topic relates to more than one Shining game, post it here!

Shining Wiki needs you

Postby Martin III » Fri Oct 22 2010 2:45am

If you haven't checked out the Shining Wiki recently, here's a summary of what's been going on.

The founder, Mr. Kraken, disappeared this past February. I tried contacting him through several avenues and had no success, so I petitioned Wikia Community Central for admin rights to the Wiki so that the assorted admin stuff could be taken care of. They approved, so I've added admin work to my list of stuff to do on the Shining Wiki.

And here, if you're interested, is the list of things the editors on the Shining Wiki have been doing this past couple months:

WARNING: SPOILER!

Unfortunately, there's a much larger list of things still to be done.

Main problem is that, aside from Shining Force Gaiden I, we have almost nothing on any of the Japanese-only games. Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict, Shining Force III Scenarios 2 and 3, Shining Wind, Shining Road, and Shining Force Feather all need articles on their characters, locations, etc. and even a lot more info on their main pages. Shining in the Darkness also needs a lot more attention, and we're still missing articles for most of the character classes.

So, I'm firstly giving a call out for all you Shining experts to come and contribute.

Secondly, in order to try and make this an organized effort, I've been opening up some discussions at the Shining Wiki's forum on certain issues. So, anyone who's editing the Wiki should come and check that out. I'll post more topics as I run into more decisions that need to be made.

That's about it. I'm hoping to get the Shining Wiki in respectable shape for the SOS campaign, but obviously it'll take more than two or three editors on the job to get that done.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Re: Shining Wiki needs you

Postby BoneIdol » Mon Oct 25 2010 4:40pm

Just out of curiousity is it just stuff like SF characters, locations, items, spells etc. that you want to add to this wiki, or would you like information on game mechanics too?

I could probably throw together a pretty informative article on friendships in SF3 (especially since I can back up the claims I made in my friendship faq with hard evidence now).
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby TheUnknownMarine » Mon Oct 25 2010 6:08pm

At some point I should probably add the massive amount of information gained from the translated character books.
Am I awake or do I dream?

The greatest evil is apathy, for it perpetuates all others.

www.thehungersite.com <= go here and save some lives. Prove you aren't part of the greatest evil.

RathausRiverBand: ia ia cubesteak ftagn
Am I awake or do I dream?

The greatest evil is apathy, for it perpetuates all others.

www.thehungersite.com <= go here and save some lives. Prove you aren't part of the greatest evil.

RathausRiverBand: ia ia cubesteak ftagn
TheUnknownMarine

Master Narrator
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Mon Oct 25 2010 9:56pm

BoneIdol @ Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:40 pm) wrote: Just out of curiousity is it just stuff like SF characters, locations, items, spells etc. that you want to add to this wiki, or would you like information on game mechanics too?

I could probably throw together a pretty informative article on friendships in SF3 (especially since I can back up the claims I made in my friendship faq with hard evidence now).

Articles on game mechanics are definitely desirable, yes. Thanks for bringing that up.

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby T300 » Tue Oct 26 2010 8:33am

I'm In (T300)
T300

Verum Aeternus
Shining Hero

Postby BoneIdol » Wed Oct 27 2010 4:11pm

Well, I've got a preliminary article together for friendships, but the sodding site isn't wanting to let me add the bugger for some reason. I've had to copy and paste the source from the advanced editor to avoid losing all my work. :(

If I need edit permissions or something, my account is BoneIdol. If it's just generally being a pain, the source for the article is:

WARNING: SPOILER!
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Martin III » Wed Nov 03 2010 12:07am

BoneIdol @ Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:11 pm) wrote: Well, I've got a preliminary article together for friendships, but the sodding site isn't wanting to let me add the bugger for some reason. I've had to copy and paste the source from the advanced editor to avoid losing all my work. :(

Hmm, well this is a puzzler. Wikia did just change over their format, though, so maybe it was just having an off-day with uploading edits. I don't suppose you could give it another try? Maybe try making a minor edit to an existing article first, just to test. Also, what exactly did it say when you tried to post the article?

You shouldn't need any sort of permissions; I created about 20 articles for the Shining Wiki before I got admin rights.

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby sulfuroxp » Wed Nov 03 2010 12:15am

no Shining Force Cross (and Cross Raid) section??? D:
sulfuroxp

Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Postby ExevaloN » Thu Nov 04 2010 3:43am

sulfuroxp @ Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:15 am) wrote: no Shining Force Cross (and Cross Raid) section??? D:

Heh, looks like you need to get to work Sulfuroxp!
"The parasite hates three things: free markets, free will, and free men."
"The parasite hates three things: free markets, free will, and free men."
ExevaloN

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby BoneIdol » Thu Nov 04 2010 4:24pm

Right, got the sod to work now. Apparently the "Advanced Editor" doesn't work when adding pages (but works when you edit one).

Link to the article is http://shining.wikia.com/wiki/Friendships, it still needs work with stuff like linking characters to their pages etc., but I think most of the important stuff is there.
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby sulfuroxp » Thu Nov 04 2010 10:13pm

and the real name of Hiro (SitD) is Max :shifty:
sulfuroxp

Lost Shining Purple
Shining Legend

Postby Martin III » Sun Nov 07 2010 1:27am

BoneIdol @ Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:24 pm) wrote: Right, got the sod to work now. Apparently the "Advanced Editor" doesn't work when adding pages (but works when you edit one).

Link to the article is http://shining.wikia.com/wiki/Friendships, it still needs work with stuff like linking characters to their pages etc., but I think most of the important stuff is there.

Very nice work! :thumbsup: Reminds me that I should get to making at least a preliminary article on Promotion.

SulfuroXP) wrote:no Shining Force Cross (and Cross Raid) section??? D:

Yeah, it's hard for people in English-speaking countries to get their hands on a game only released only in Japanese arcades, or on any manuals, official guides, or artbooks for said game. So info and art from those two is a tad scarce.

and the real name of Hiro (SitD) is Max

As discussed in this thread, someone recently discovered through hacking that the default name of the hero in SitD is Hiro; it just fails to pop up when you enter the name.

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Christine » Mon Nov 08 2010 1:50am

I only noticed this now, but I'll help. The wiki is a bit paltry in design, but it is a free wiki, so it's understandable.

I'll help mostly with SF3 right now because that's what I'm playing, but I can do some SF1 and SF2 articles later on (January-February, it's usually at that time that I revisit these. I have no clue about the Gaidens. :confused:
Christine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Martin III » Tue Nov 09 2010 6:12am

Sweet. The more the merrier. :thumbsup:

Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby BoneIdol » Tue Nov 09 2010 5:00pm

Would you be interested in a ton of STHA and SF3 statistics that aren't available in various guides (such as exact enemy statistics)?

I'm in the midst of sorting out a ton of data for the SF3 save editor and should soon be able to provide every single enemy's Magic Resistance, Magic power bonuses, Drop rates, Level etc. I've got some half finshed csvs for Scenario 1 and 2 here.

In terms of STHA, the stat editor I wrote provides a lot of info that I don't think is provided anywhere like magic resistance, drop rates etc....

If you'd like, I can write some code to dump all this as a csv or something. I don't think I'm gonna have the time to add these to the wiki myself.

Also, I cleaned up the Friendships article and added a ton of AR codes. If you think they're just cluttering up the article, feel free to remove them.
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Swalchy » Tue Nov 09 2010 5:34pm

BoneIdol @ Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:00 pm) wrote: In terms of STHA, the stat editor I wrote provides a lot of info that I don't think is provided anywhere like magic resistance, drop rates etc....

Stuff that I am now going to incorporate into Rune's STHA site: http://stha.thewaytoyahuweh.com/enemies.html

Credit shall be given to you, of course :D
The Way To Yahuweh

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
The Way To Yahuweh

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Moogie » Tue Nov 09 2010 5:46pm

By the way, if there's any way to export the data from the Wiki, I'd gladly set up a Wiki at SFC for you to import it into - no more adverts etc.

I did install a Wiki ages ago but never had time to figure out how to use it, and have since moved servers once or twice!
The SFC Forum RPG is now live! Enjoy :)
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

Postby BoneIdol » Tue Nov 09 2010 5:47pm

Well, I just made a csv dump of all the data that's definite. The monster's names are stored in the program so may be a tad fruity. Here ya go http://www.mediafire.com/?aj473z5ncv67oaf

There's also some data I can get ahold of like what attacks each enemy uses, but it's mostly hex numbers, I don't know what each one represents. This is hidden in that screenshot. ;)

--EDIT (just saw Moogie's post)--

Beats me, but wikia's layout seriously annoys me, so I'd be up for incorporating everything to a more traditional wiki. ;) If Martin III is up for it, but lacks a backup/export feature, I could always write a little spider program to grab all the articles and store them as something more portable.
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Christine » Tue Nov 09 2010 6:29pm

I can help with some wiki coding, if Moogie hosts it. I'm not an expert, but I know my way around it.
Christine

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby Moogie » Tue Nov 09 2010 6:40pm

If everyone's up for it, and it's actually possible to move it over, just let me know what the preferred wiki system is for me to install and I will do so. You can then use wiki.shiningforcecentral.com :)
rpg.php
rpg.php
Moogie

Goddess of all things Shining
Administrator

Next

Return to All Things Shining