Shining Soul: I got the soul!

Discuss the first Shining game for Game Boy Advance here!

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Lindsay

I got the soul!

Post by Lindsay »

I said I'd do it and I did it I got Shining Soul yesterday! Pre-played~no box or nothing which sucks but can't be helped!

Yeah but what really sucks is the game. This wouldn't pass as a bad SNES game no no no. NES is where it'd fit in best. The graphics, music (oh gawd Beast Mountain's music is horrid), the control are all beyond ancient. The GBA is far more capable of this even back in 2002 when Soul was first released. The Sega personel that thought they could get away with this needs to be kicked.

With all of that said I gotta also say that I'm addicted x_X I beat the first two levels and then went back to beat them again! .... And it wasn't until after beating BM for the second time that I even noticed about status and skill points! So now with my powered up character I'm all like yeaaahhh!

So ya even if the game is bad it's addicting which must mean there is good in it somehow.
Arthur's #1 fangirl! ^_^
Tarethen
jRPG Newsman
Shining Legend

Re: I got the soul!

Post by Tarethen »

I might pick it up if I can find a copy... solely for collector and fan purposes...
Dark Link
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Dark Link »

Yea. i got it and beat it. nothing to it (except alot of time)
As long as there is light, I shall follow you. When the light goes out, I will surround you. Destroy you with the fear of the unknown. I am subtle and precise, constantly shifting as the sand falls. I am a myth, a monster, a warrior. I am the Hero's Shadow.
Lindsay

Post by Lindsay »

Dark Link @ Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:59 pm) wrote: Yea. i got it and beat it. nothing to it (except alot of time)
Ya it sure seems like alot of time. I'm up to Level 7 or 8 (whichever is Darksols territory). Hopefully these last couple of levels won't go past 10 floors. 10 floors is just tooo many for x_X Nice story so far and tough bosses are fun.
Arthur's #1 fangirl! ^_^
ChillinVillain
shining n00b
Shining Hero

Post by ChillinVillain »

I'll let you know when I beat it, I'm currentely playing it. :)
Eric
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Eric »

If you can get past the music and the horrible meelee AI you might like it. Btw, I often turn the music off through options and only listen to the sound effects. When game music is this bad it just has to go.
-/|\-Chrome General Eric-/|\-
``\\--The Shining Legion--//``

3DS FC: 1478-3297-4358

Post by Beans the half rhino »

keep gens open in the background with sf2 on...
"Just don't forget our deal, Lois. I sit through this and later tonight I get anal. You hear me? No matter how neat I want the house you have to clean it. "
-Peter Griffin
Cloud

Post by Cloud »

for a hand held I think its rather entertaining except the fact that you can't pause it in the middle of battle
NARF NARF NARF NARF NARF NARF NARF NARF NARF NARF
[]D [] []v[] []D
Urghul

Post by Urghul »

Cant stand the fact that this is a Shining game. Hell no i didn't like it! :(
MusashiGodX8
Whacked with the Banstick
Whacked with the Banstick

Post by MusashiGodX8 »

This game SUCKED OUT LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm keeping it for collection. :(
The path of the sword is a long and meaningful journey.
You may friends along the way but you can never tell them how you feel.
With the memories of past battles forever lost in time, you can't help but think.
Is this really the path I should lead?
When your time comes don't fear death, embrace it.
And with your dying breath clutch your sword your chest and utter your battle cry ''HYAAAHHHHHH''.
Lindsay

Post by Lindsay »

I just finished it tonight! The story built up was pretty nice but Darksol & DD's speeches weren't that great so the ending was kinda sour. Still had a good fun time playing though! Might just give it another run through in the future. :)
Arthur's #1 fangirl! ^_^
Sailorcancer
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Sailorcancer »

I somewhat liked it, I got really tired of it with it quick after the first couple of days. Then again I had no idea what I was doing cause it was in japanese :(
KiWi

Post by KiWi »

Spend too much time on this game. Problem was also my chargeable batteries at that time could only chunck out 2 hours or so, and therefore in the later levels could never make it all the way up/down to the boss level. So for a long time I was stuck at level 4.

After getting new rechargeables, I was able to finish the game, but the game was kind of a bland hack 'n slash. If you were persistent enough you would do fine. After beating the game, you get a palette swaped color variations with a higher difficulty, but by the time I beat the game, I had enough for now.

Still, I would buy part 2 if I see it for a reasonable price.
moses04
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by moses04 »

The second one is quite a bit better IMHO. And on consecutive playthroughs, there is an advanced mode, where beast mountain is about as difficult as the dungeon leading to Dark Dragon. Haven't beaten my second playthrough yet though. ;)

Kaihaku
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Kaihaku »

moses04 @ Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:26 pm) wrote: Image
YES! FINALLY! I found an egg! :)

Oh and...uh... Congratulations on the whole soul thing.
Lord Oddeye sama
Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Post by Lord Oddeye sama »

Lol.
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!
Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.
Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/v ... 51#p668069" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mass Ferguson
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Mass Ferguson »

How late to the game am I? I finally decided to throw out the money to pick up Shining Soul and Shining Soul II about a month or so ago. They're pretty entertaining to whip out during my morning rail rides to work. I'm spending my first playthrough with an archer and Dex is quickly outstripping my other skills and I'm still missing like a fiend.
Martin III
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by Martin III »

You find them equally entertaining then, Mass Ferguson? I've only played Shining Soul II, but it seems like most everyone thinks Shining Soul I is nowhere near as fun.
"Sir Reginald, Duke of Chutney! ...And don't stick your tongue out at me, kid." - Disney's Robin Hood

"Hey, where's my Holy Grail?!" - Shining Tears X Wind
Mass Ferguson
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Mass Ferguson »

Shining Soul has its flaws, like no saving while in dungeons. Overall, the gameplay is a lot simpler and a lot more dumbed down than Shining Soul II, so it depends on what you're looking for in a game. I'm really not that hard to please. I'm just looking to pass some time, and Shining Soul can be addictive in that sense.

I don't need innovative game play or challenging levels and bosses, just something to keep my fingers and mind occupied while I'm riding the rail for an hour and a half every day. If you happen to see it at the store, there isn't any harm in tossing the 10 bucks it costs to pick it up. I wouldn't stress out over finding it, I just lucked into mine while looking for Shining Soul II.