Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

A request about a rumor

I need an answer from a credible source

Incorporating Scenarios 1, 2, 3 and the Premium Disc, all in one handy board!

Re: A request about a rumor

Postby BoneIdol » Wed Feb 09 2011 11:55pm

The slot has Basanda's sprite by default though. Surely that would suggest a more Basanda-like character?
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Thu Feb 10 2011 12:48am

Considering the way Scn3 supposedly got rushed for release, it could mean anything.
I despise berzerk attitude.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Secretary of Odds and Ends, Rainblood Secessionists
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Wargasm @ Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:26 am wrote:Vous êtes tous douches. J'aime le monde des poissons bleus.

Do you like Shining Force 1? Do you like orchestral remixes? Then this is for you: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24551#p668069
Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby Novangel X » Thu Feb 10 2011 6:10am

I once added the 60th character to Julian's team very early in the game and the info came up as Jane. Much later I tried adding her again (I think shortly after the evo ceremony) and it came up as the usual jumbled mess with the pick of the Elbessem statue. Is it's name penkichi? (never did figure out what it translates to)
Don't run.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die.
...Come watch TV?
Don't run.
...Come watch TV?
Novangel X

Double Gene
Shining Legend

Postby Rems » Thu Feb 10 2011 4:37pm

This is what I get googling penkichi...

http://www.zenkichi.com/

Rems

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby BoneIdol » Thu Feb 10 2011 4:43pm

Anyone know enough about Japanese to google search for it using Katakana? (It is Katakana and Latin characters that SF3 uses right?)
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lord Oddeye sama » Thu Feb 10 2011 6:35pm

Mystery solved, maybe.

http://www.camelot.co.jp/force3/scn3/charax.html

ペンきち/Penkichi would be Penn's full name in japanese? Can't quite tell what this page is really about.
¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

¿ ? The OddBlood ¿ ?
/ Because Life is Odd. \
Jinx unto ye!

Lord Oddeye sama

Legendary Greater Devil
Shining Legend

Postby BoneIdol » Thu Feb 10 2011 6:45pm

Google translate was most unhelpful. What I could make out suggested that it was some kind of hoax catalogue. Not that I would trust google translate. Being able to read Japanese would be so damned handy right now. :(

--EDIT--

Translating ペンきち on it's own revealed "Penguin Mad".
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Martin III » Fri Feb 11 2011 11:38pm

BoneIdol wrote:Translating ペンきち on it's own revealed "Penguin Mad".

Sounds like an Incredible Hulk-ism. "And the madder Penguin gets... The stronger Penguin gets!" :raaa:

Hadn't heard any of this stuff about an extra character before. Pretty interesting.
Martin III

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Novangel X » Mon Feb 14 2011 9:57pm

So have you made anymore progress with the sprites B.idol, or have you stopped working on it for now?
Don't run.
...Come watch TV?
Don't run.
...Come watch TV?
Novangel X

Double Gene
Shining Legend

Postby BoneIdol » Mon Feb 14 2011 10:32pm

Haven't really been working on it TBH. I'm afraid I'm not quite as obsessive as I may come across; rather than working day and night until I either find something or give up, I pick at these things until I have a eureka moment (then I put the effort in ;)).

The best idea I've got at the moment is corrupting parts of the file to work out exactly what its structure is. Since I have to repatch everytime I try something (at ~3 minutes a pop), and it can take me dozens and dozens of attempts to find anything interesting, I've not really been in the mood to do this. :(

I'll probably buy a new CD this weekend, stock up on cheap energy drinks and cigarettes and roll my sleves up for another good go. It's not like I (or any of my mates) can afford to go out at the moment.

See this is why I don't take donations for my stuff; it's counter productive. ;)
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Novangel X » Tue Feb 15 2011 10:12pm

Wow! That's quite a bit of work, well its not like there's any rush. Just glad to know you haven't forgotten about it.
Don't run.
...Come watch TV?
Don't run.
...Come watch TV?
Novangel X

Double Gene
Shining Legend

Postby BoneIdol » Tue Feb 15 2011 11:34pm

OK, did some tests to see if the class info for a sprite is stored in the files; it ain't. I tried replacing Rogan's sprite with Edmund's. It would only display when Edmund had a class of soldier, like Rogan's current status. I've hit a dead end for now. :(

I'm gonna crack on with the Garosh bug and hopefully that lead to some clues. Since it's probably going to point me towards a file with tons of character data, it's not unreasonable to assume that the info to say which sprites are used for each character's classes is stored in there too. Gotta wait for sourceforge to get their CVS servers up before I can crack on with that though. :(

I should definitely make an effort to work out how the sprite files work at some point though. An editor could make for some fun modding opportunities. :)
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lourde Incarnadine » Wed Feb 16 2011 1:11am

Just a recap, though; sounds as though there is a bug in Scenario 2, 3, and/or the Premium Disc that (unless Idol fixes it) makes Rogan... what? Completely unusable, or just the invisible man?
"Oh, my people had many gods. There was Conformity, and Authority, and Expense Account, and Opinion. And there was Status, whose symbols were many, and who rode in the great chariot Cadillac, which was almost a god itself. And there was Atom-bomb, the dread destroyer, who would someday come to end the world. None were very good gods, and I worshipped none of them."

~Calvin Morrison, from H. Beam Piper's Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen
"Oh, my people had many gods. There was Conformity, and Authority, and Expense Account, and Opinion. And there was Status, whose symbols were many, and who rode in the great chariot Cadillac, which was almost a god itself. And there was Atom-bomb, the dread destroyer, who would someday come to end the world. None were very good gods, and I worshipped none of them."

Lourde Incarnadine

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Novangel X » Wed Feb 16 2011 2:28am

He's usable, just invisible. :(
Don't run.
...Come watch TV?
Don't run.
...Come watch TV?
Novangel X

Double Gene
Shining Legend

Postby Lourde Incarnadine » Wed Feb 16 2011 5:30am

Novangel X wrote:He's usable, just invisible. :(

Weak. You'd think they woulda caught something like that... guess Sega JP paid about as much for bug-testing as Sega NA paid for VAs... :shifty:

Lourde Incarnadine

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby BoneIdol » Wed Feb 16 2011 12:41pm

Well... he was removed from the game due to time constraints (the Saturn was teetering on the edge of death when Sc3 was released), so it makes sense that he never got tested. His NPC version in Sc2 has its sprite correctly defined, it's just the playable (with an AR or a bit of save editing ;)), level-up-able version in Sc3 that has no sprite. :(
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Lourde Incarnadine » Wed Feb 16 2011 7:00pm

BoneIdol wrote:Well... he was removed from the game due to time constraints (the Saturn was teetering on the edge of death when Sc3 was released), so it makes sense that he never got tested. His NPC version in Sc2 has its sprite correctly defined, it's just the playable (with an AR or a bit of save editing ;)), level-up-able version in Sc3 that has no sprite. :(

Oh, ok, I thought he was normally playable and it was a bug!

Lourde Incarnadine

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Sinful Force » Thu Feb 17 2011 9:17am

Yeah, this is like the first thing I read when I came back, but forgot to make a post (I guess?) to a question I'm dying to know: Do you still get that very annoying error sound when his turn comes up? Really drives me nuts that sound.

Otherwise, very interesting findings here.
Sinful Force

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby BoneIdol » Thu Feb 17 2011 9:27am

Nope, no buzzer. Everything works fine (although I think his walking animation isn't completed...it looks a bit weird to me). He just only has a sprite when he has a class of soldier atm. The buzzer will sound in as normal and he will be invisible as before if he doesn't have a class of Soldier though. :(

You could very easily test this out yourself: You just need to copy CBF41.CHP and CHP41.CHP from the Scenario 3 disc to the Translation Project Patcher (into /SF3Patch/files/s3/) then open them both up in a hex editor. Then you just need to change the second byte in both files to 29 (note the file name and the decimal value - 41).
BoneIdol

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Sinful Force » Thu Feb 17 2011 9:34am

Allright. Will test this out/mess around myself too tomorrow when I get up and day is done. And Yes to no more buzzer!

Aother quick question is; Does having him as Soldier class change anything besides just the text for class?
Sinful Force

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Shining Force III