Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Awkward Scenario 2 Moment

Zero's second return

Incorporating Scenarios 1, 2, 3 and the Premium Disc, all in one handy board!

Awkward Scenario 2 Moment

Postby DomingoRules! » Sun Mar 12 2017 6:19pm

During the part where Zero returns for the second time, I hope I'm not the only one who felt really awkward, and bad for Zero while Emperor Domaric is talking about how prime of an opportunity for invasion the situation has become. Sure, Zero's helping Medion out, but he's still a Republican soldier, and now that things have escalated into such aggression towards Aspia thanks to Domaric's direct involvement, I'm starting to feel kind of guilty about dragging Zero along for the ride. I can only imagine what's going through his head at about that point.

Sure, the game is filled with plenty of questions regarding which side is actually right, but I still just couldn't help but imagine Zero's head shrinking into his shoulders, and just kind of sulking in the background while Domaric is announcing his grand plans. Wondering if this is really where he should be. I'm honestly hoping at some point, they'll go a bit more directly into his feelings regarding the matter (although not really expecting it). I mean, what basically started out as a simple favor has inadvertently pitted him on the opposing side of a war against his own country.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Re: Awkward Scenario 2 Moment

Postby MCRT » Mon Mar 13 2017 1:13pm

I always wondered that he stayed with Medion at this point. But I guess when you speak to him in the HQ he should say something about that.
But I guess we all can agree that Domaric's side is kind of not right.

Depending on your Sc 1 save you will actually get the chance to get some interaction from Zero with Eldar, but I haven't done this yet.
MCRT

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Mon Mar 13 2017 5:51pm

I always talk with my party members in HQ between battles, and Zero definitely feels torn. Clearly having an internal struggle between what his heart believes is right, and his military training demanding he follow his assigned commander's orders without question. It's actually giving him a layer of depth that's making him one of my favorites. Especially when weighed against how cheery and positive he was about everything he's done up until that point, only to then start suddenly questioning everything thanks to Domaric's involvement. As if he only just now is realizing the ramifications of aiding the enemy, which until now was simply a matter of helping his friends.

I'm sure most people would agree that between the two sides, the Empire is certainly the more evil of the two. At the same time though, I love how the game presents the turmoil Aspinia has had to suffer through over the years, and shows how some who are under Republican rule are actually somewhat indifferent about it, or feel like they made a mistake, and things might've actually been better, or exactly the same had they stayed in Destonia. It's an interesting situation because while the game portrays the Empire as the "bad guys," reading between the lines begs the question of which side, if either, is ultimately right or wrong over the other. Unlike many games where it's just like, "Everything is peaceful and perfect outside the evil, tyrannical Empire," with a much more black-and-white approach.

Of course, I still think Aspinia has the right idea, and like Benetram once said, it's something that takes time. It's only been 20 years, and there are still things that need to be done, hence why the Republic is currently in such disarray.

Not that I can do anything about it now if it's based purely on Sc. 1 actions, but what influences that interaction?
DomingoRules!

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby legalize freedom » Tue Mar 14 2017 12:27pm

Be sure to include a note for this awkward moment with your playtest submission and I'll review to make sure everything is in line with the situation. Where all Zero has related dialog would be helpful if you know.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby DomingoRules! » Tue Mar 14 2017 6:30pm

Honestly, I didn't see anything wrong with it, so I didn't think to document that at all. The things he said didn't seem off, and appeared fitting for the situation. I was just pointing out how he feels conflicted about what's going on when Domaric becomes directly involved, and starts talking about invading Aspia. I think the very next time I talked to him in the HQ (or one of the times following shortly after) where he said something about wanting to continue fighting alongside Medion, but not wanting to fight the Aspinians, or something to that degree. I also recall an HQ statement he made a little bit later when drawing closer to Aspia where he sounded like he was basically begging for Medion not to force him to fight the Synbios army, fearing their current route is heading in that direction.

Once the focus switched from the conquest of Aspia, to dealing with Garvin however, his remarks stopped being that way, like a weight had been lifted thanks to that distraction from invading his country's capitol, and he could finally commit himself 100% again to the Medion force's cause.

As for it being "awkward," I only said that in relation to how he must've been feeling during the whole ordeal, starting with how Domaric shows up and starts boldly talking about invading Aspia with Zero standing right there. I was saying that he must've been feeling really awkward and uncomfortable during that conversation, not that the events themselves were awkward, and that I in turn found myself feeling really bad for him.
DomingoRules!

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby MCRT » Fri Mar 17 2017 6:24pm

DomingoRules! wrote:I always talk with my party members in HQ between battles, and Zero definitely feels torn. Clearly having an internal struggle between what his heart believes is right, and his military training demanding he follow his assigned commander's orders without question. It's actually giving him a layer of depth that's making him one of my favorites. Especially when weighed against how cheery and positive he was about everything he's done up until that point, only to then start suddenly questioning everything thanks to Domaric's involvement. As if he only just now is realizing the ramifications of aiding the enemy, which until now was simply a matter of helping his friends.

I also speak with everyone after each event in my recent playthroughs. It gives it a much more coherent feeling and every member more character than in the old games that they actually refer to the recent situation out of their view instead of repeating each line again and again like the members in the old games. I also check the bookshelf to see how the entries change depending on your actions in the game.

Yeah, this is one of the point that makes him also my favorite Birdmen in SF3

DomingoRules! wrote:Not that I can do anything about it now if it's based purely on Sc. 1 actions, but what influences that interaction?

When he is in the main force and Eldar is in the reserve team of Sc 1 you can talk to her with him during the last battle with Tybalt and Yasha. She will join your force during for this battle then, even if I don't know what they speak with each other as I haven't done it yet on my own because she always is in my main force. Nevertheless a great little feature.

DomingoRules! wrote:I'm sure most people would agree that between the two sides, the Empire is certainly the more evil of the two. At the same time though, I love how the game presents the turmoil Aspinia has had to suffer through over the years, and shows how some who are under Republican rule are actually somewhat indifferent about it, or feel like they made a mistake, and things might've actually been better, or exactly the same had they stayed in Destonia. It's an interesting situation because while the game portrays the Empire as the "bad guys," reading between the lines begs the question of which side, if either, is ultimately right or wrong over the other. Unlike many games where it's just like, "Everything is peaceful and perfect outside the evil, tyrannical Empire," with a much more black-and-white approach.

I also really enjoy the more mature approach SF 3 takes. But I was actually refering to Domaric himself, as he is actually displayed quite rudeless. Isn't it even mentioned somewhere in the games lore that he killed all his brothers to become the emperor? And then he uses the plot of the Bulzome Sect for his own reason despite having the rainbloods who could have rescued him at any time. And not to forget the threatening to hurt Medion's mother to make sure he follows his orders... it all shows him in a rather cruel perspective

And sorry for the delay in my answer, real life stuff like applications kept me from browsing the forum :(
MCRT

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Sat Mar 18 2017 12:45am

MCRT wrote:But I was actually refering to Domaric himself, as he is actually displayed quite rudeless.

:lol: Pretty sure you mean ruthless. Normally not one to bother calling out typos, much less laughing at them, but the meaning of that particular one is just too perfect.
DomingoRules!

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby MCRT » Mon Mar 20 2017 7:30pm

DomingoRules! wrote:
MCRT wrote:But I was actually refering to Domaric himself, as he is actually displayed quite rudeless.

:lol: Pretty sure you mean ruthless. Normally not one to bother calling out typos, much less laughing at them, but the meaning of that particular one is just too perfect.

Oops :blush: Yeah, such things can happen if I do not re-read what I have written in my haste. But yeah, it was a pleasure to provide a good laugh ;)

So let's say Domaric is rude and ruthless :lol:
MCRT

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Mar 22 2017 1:22pm

DomingoRules! wrote:I always talk with my party members in HQ between battles, and Zero definitely feels torn. Clearly having an internal struggle between what his heart believes is right, and his military training demanding he follow his assigned commander's orders without question. It's actually giving him a layer of depth that's making him one of my favorites. Especially when weighed against how cheery and positive he was about everything he's done up until that point, only to then start suddenly questioning everything thanks to Domaric's involvement. As if he only just now is realizing the ramifications of aiding the enemy, which until now was simply a matter of helping his friends.

I'm sure most people would agree that between the two sides, the Empire is certainly the more evil of the two. At the same time though, I love how the game presents the turmoil Aspinia has had to suffer through over the years, and shows how some who are under Republican rule are actually somewhat indifferent about it, or feel like they made a mistake, and things might've actually been better, or exactly the same had they stayed in Destonia. It's an interesting situation because while the game portrays the Empire as the "bad guys," reading between the lines begs the question of which side, if either, is ultimately right or wrong over the other. Unlike many games where it's just like, "Everything is peaceful and perfect outside the evil, tyrannical Empire," with a much more black-and-white approach.

Of course, I still think Aspinia has the right idea, and like Benetram once said, it's something that takes time. It's only been 20 years, and there are still things that need to be done, hence why the Republic is currently in such disarray.

Not that I can do anything about it now if it's based purely on Sc. 1 actions, but what influences that interaction?

yes it's clearly a young nation full of start-up problems and with a wrong base, namely poverty. they are generally very poor except the state controlled by brutus. most interesting is that in scenario 1 the future of the republic is being seen as more positive when large amounts of gold have recently been found near lookover.
drunkensailor

Postby DomingoRules! » Wed Mar 22 2017 6:29pm

Yeah. Poverty is definitely the main negative theme. Still, I imagine things could be worked out over time. They just need more of it without some of its people second-guessing the worth of the Republic.
DomingoRules!

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Return to Shining Force III