Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Scenario 1 Ending Questions

Spoilers, duh

Incorporating Scenarios 1, 2, 3 and the Premium Disc, all in one handy board!

Scenario 1 Ending Questions

Postby DomingoRules! » Sat Mar 04 2017 12:59am

The very first time I played Shining Force 3 was about 10 years ago. It was a blast, but when I reached the final battle, I just simply didn't finish. I got so discouraged that I wouldn't be able to move on to Scenario 2, that I just stopped, and never went back. Last night, I was finally able to put that lingering sense of incompletion to rest. However, in doing so, it raised some questions.

1: Is it possible to outright defeat the Titan? Or does the game prevent it through some arbitrary mechanic like infinite HP, or auto-revival, thus requiring use of the dam?

2: What differences were made to the game's ending in the US version? I've heard some drastic changes were made to conclude the story since we weren't getting the other scenarios, so I'm just a tad curious. My guess would be something along the lines of the approach of the Imperial forces being more thankful for your exploits, rather than aggressively seeking conquest. My original plan was to watch it myself, but I felt doing that might make things a bit unnecessarily confusing for me (especially since I usually have a hard enough time following militaristic storylines), so I decided to ask for an abridged version here instead.

3: On a side note, are there any exceptional rapiers in the game? This is something I've wondered for years, because back when I first played it, I used rapiers with Synbios, then ended up regretting it when the end-game kept giving me new blades and swords, but not one ultimate rapier that I didn't need to forge with mithril. This time, I just stuck with swords, but I found myself continuing to wonder about that the entire game.
Xbox 360 Gamertag: Mr GURVMLK
PSN Account: Mr_GURVMLK
Nintendo ID: Mr_GURVMLK
3DS Friend Code: 1246-8952-3737
DomingoRules!

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Re: Scenario 1 Ending Questions

Postby Chinagonuk » Sat Mar 04 2017 5:33am

1: Only in the Japanese version can you defeat the Titan.

2: They did change the ending quite drastically. I can't remember exactly how it was in the UK/US version but i remember it didn't make a lot of sense and was a big anti climax. Full scripts of the game are available on this website i believe. I would also point out that in the original translation Sega of America or whoever did the translation done a very poor job all round. Thankfully LF and the rest of the team done a fantastic job of re-translating Sc1 as well as the rest of the game.

3: I wouldn't say Scenario 1 has any 'exceptional' rapiers but there are a few good ones (like the one with MP regen). This is because they (along with many other weapons) don't have their special properties until Scenario 2. In Sc2 & Sc3 rapiers are very overpowered. You'll be whooping those Masked Monks with Medion.
Chinagonuk

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Sat Mar 04 2017 6:56am

Yeah, when I first played the game, I decided my weapons based on a skill faq I skimmed through. The rather brief descriptions the faq gave stated that the rapier special attacks hit several times (not that others don't also, but the wording just made the rapiers sound more enticing), so I was just like, "Hell yeah, I'm going to use those." Then when I started finding things like the Phoenix Sword, and Venom Blade, I realized I had made a mistake.

In regards to the US ending, I imagine the most anti-climactic thing about it would basically be like, "Bulzome and the Vandals? Yep, not doing anything with them."
DomingoRules!

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby MCRT » Sat Mar 04 2017 1:51pm

Actually several special attacks show "multiple hit's" during their animation (lances, swords, Gloves), but Rapier are the only one where all normal special actually consist of stabbing the enemy multiple times.
Despite of that, the 3 regular Rapier specials are actually weaker that their Sword/Blade equivalents (but only 1-2 damage points each). If you browse the forum you can find a list from LordKane where he lists the power of all Weapon specials.
But no, you will find no special Rapier's in Sc. 1, but 2 in Sc. 2 which will are actually very asskicking and will make Medion even more overpowered.

As I was exposed to it several times in my youth, the end is actually something like:
After the big explosion where everyone wents to the Bridge as Fynnding announces imperial troops, you see Domaric and Medion on bridge, but instead of the whole "I will now conquer the city with Medion"-stuff, Domaric just says something like: "For taking care of Arrawt I will now retreat, but be sure that I will come back in the future!"
The vandals and bulzome were not even mentioned at all.
MCRT

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Sat Mar 04 2017 6:52pm

Because retreating is the logical choice after going through the effort of penetrating an impregnable wall.

As for the skill faq I read, I don't think it gave any stats at all. It just gave very vague descriptions. It did say if a move inflicted a status effect, or had some other special trait (like Drain Arrow), but other than that I only had words to go on. And based on those words, rapiers just sounded the best. They do have that Critical bonus though, which is nice if you want that extra boost in hitting harder.
DomingoRules!

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby MCRT » Sat Mar 11 2017 10:15am

DomingoRules! wrote:Because retreating is the logical choice after going through the effort of penetrating an impregnable wall.

As for the skill faq I read, I don't think it gave any stats at all. It just gave very vague descriptions. It did say if a move inflicted a status effect, or had some other special trait (like Drain Arrow), but other than that I only had words to go on. And based on those words, rapiers just sounded the best. They do have that Critical bonus though, which is nice if you want that extra boost in hitting harder.

Yeah, it feeled always strange and left a lot of question marks in my head :confused:

Ok, but then I would have guessed you decide for Blades...
Special 1: fire damage
Special 2: ice damage, locking people on the ground (even if that makes not much sense with a range 1 weapon :damnit: )
Special 3: Instant kill

But the + critical actually means increased critical chance, not increased ciritcal damage, but yeah, to crit more often also kind of translates into more damage.
MCRT

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby DomingoRules! » Sat Mar 11 2017 6:52pm

I know what the +Crit means, and yeah that's about what the faq looked like from what I recall. So basically what I recall seeing was something alone the lines of a Sword skill saying, "Hits twice" and a Rapier skill saying, "Hits 8 times," so I thought it was a no-brainer.
DomingoRules!

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Return to Shining Force III