Welcome to the Shining Force Central Forums!
SFC Forums Index Shining Forums Shining Force III
Register for your free forum account now or Login to remove this advert.

Shining Force 3 / STHA Hack

Incorporating Scenarios 1, 2, 3 and the Premium Disc, all in one handy board!

Shining Force 3 / STHA Hack

Postby Special T » Fri Sep 11 2015 12:13am

Something interesting I stumbled across over at romhacking.net

paul_met is making a hack that increases the viewing area of some Saturn games. It's easier to identify in the STHA images, look at the top of the mountain and the board at the bottom.

He is also the creator of the the Shining Force Deluxe version
Youtube link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvA2KAvqUTk
Website link - http://psxplanet.ru/forum/showthread.php?p=104927
Romhacking.net link - http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.p ... .1000.html

I don't speak / read Russian so I'm not overly familiar with the deluxe version is but it looks interesting.

Shining Force 3
Image Image

Shining Holy Ark
Image Image
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Re: Shining Force 3 / STHA Hack

Postby legalize freedom » Sun Sep 13 2015 6:23pm

I wonder if this is only in Yabause. I believe that one has a robust support for game shark type stuff, but SSF does not.

Anyone know if Yabause has caught up and/or is currently the more active of the two?

The SSF site isn't coming up for me. Has that effort been abandoned or did they change sites?
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby Swalchy » Sun Sep 13 2015 11:18pm

The Way To Yahuweh

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
The Way To Yahuweh

Salibu: 20/08/10 wrote:You have all been Swalched.

Damn I've been here a long f*cking time...
Swalchy

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby legalize freedom » Wed Sep 16 2015 4:49pm

I guess I had an old link. Thanks for the new one!
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby knight0fdragon » Tue Sep 22 2015 4:06am

I wonder if this is just for NTSC versions, since PAL offer more scanlines, it is natural for them to make the viewports to be the size of PAL. and then just translate it to show on NTSC screens, could explain that tiny difference we are seeing
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby paul_met » Fri Nov 06 2015 10:15pm

legalize freedom wrote:I wonder if this is only in Yabause.

Hack working on SSF too.

knight0fdragon wrote:I wonder if this is just for NTSC versions, since PAL offer more scanlines, it is natural for them to make the viewports to be the size of PAL. and then just translate it to show on NTSC screens, could explain that tiny difference we are seeing

PAL version of the 1st scenario is similar to the NTSC version - I mean, has the same size of the image + black stripes.
paul_met

Postby Pappets » Sun Nov 22 2015 2:48pm

Does this hack remove those fat black bars in the action scenes of scenario 2 and 3?
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
The vandals took over Sega but someday the innovators will come again and reclaim the throne!
Pappets

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby paul_met » Sun Nov 22 2015 4:20pm

Pappets wrote:Does this hack remove those fat black bars in the action scenes of scenario 2 and 3?

I have not looked yet scenarios 2 and 3. But the engine is the same. So, all that is fair for the first scenario, it will be fair for the others.
paul_met

Postby Pappets » Sun Nov 22 2015 6:24pm

That looks great! I feel like playing shining force 3 already! :)
Pappets

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby paul_met » Thu Jan 28 2016 4:37pm

Patch for Shining the Holy Ark is available for download:
Link: http://www.emu-land.net/forum/index.php/topic,73826.msg1157450.html#msg1157450
paul_met

Postby knight0fdragon » Sat Jan 30 2016 9:24pm

wow I never even heard of the deluxe version, looks good paul_met. Was there no way to fit all 3 discs onto 1 CD? (Premium disk and other content going onto a 2nd disc would have been fine) I know the sizes were around 240MB a disc I would like to say, and I am in the works of trying to make a new translator that is bases off of Cue's compressor for legalize freedom and team to use, which will make the translation files smaller.
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby Special T » Sun Jan 31 2016 5:03am

paul_met wrote:Patch for Shining the Holy Ark is available for download:
Link: http://www.emu-land.net/forum/index.php/topic,73826.msg1157450.html#msg1157450

Thanks for the update. You are doing great work! :thumbsup:

knight0fdragon wrote:wow I never even heard of the deluxe version, looks good paul_met. Was there no way to fit all 3 discs onto 1 CD? (Premium disk and other content going onto a 2nd disc would have been fine) I know the sizes were around 240MB a disc I would like to say, and I am in the works of trying to make a new translator that is bases off of Cue's compressor for legalize freedom and team to use, which will make the translation files smaller.

Glad to hear your working on a new translator tool I'm sure the team will greatly appreciate that!
Special T

Shining Member
Shining Member

Postby paul_met » Sun Jan 31 2016 3:36pm

knight0fdragon wrote:wow I never even heard of the deluxe version, looks good paul_met. Was there no way to fit all 3 discs onto 1 CD? (Premium disk and other content going onto a 2nd disc would have been fine) I know the sizes were around 240MB a disc I would like to say, and I am in the works of trying to make a new translator that is bases off of Cue's compressor for legalize freedom and team to use, which will make the translation files smaller.

The total volume of 3 scenarios of SFIII is about 880 mb and it does not fit on a normal CD.
My early build (not deluxe) fits all 3 scenarios on one CD, but it had to cut videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQmoJJO50oI).
Then I gave up this edition and moved on 2 CD version of the compilation.
paul_met

Postby legalize freedom » Sun Jan 31 2016 4:36pm

paul_met wrote:
legalize freedom wrote:I wonder if this is only in Yabause.

Hack working on SSF too.

Good deal. If you are patching the image directly then I guess it doesn't matter which emulator you use...

I don't see a link for the SF3 patch anywhere. Has it not been released yet?
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby paul_met » Sun Jan 31 2016 9:13pm

legalize freedom wrote:I don't see a link for the SF3 patch anywhere. Has it not been released yet?

Yes, it is under development yet. There are some problems with the SSF - game crashes after the first fight in any scenario. This problem can be partially solved by special patch only for SSF (in this case, the game will not work on yabause and likely on the console). Such an option I do not really like, but If I do not find any other way, then I will have to do so.
paul_met

Postby legalize freedom » Mon Feb 01 2016 6:52am

paul_met wrote:Yes, it is under development yet. There are some problems with the SSF - game crashes after the first fight in any scenario. This problem can be partially solved by special patch only for SSF (in this case, the game will not work on yabause and likely on the console). Such an option I do not really like, but If I do not find any other way, then I will have to do so.

Once you get this sorted I would be glad to include this as an option with the SF3Patch (with your permission of course). As long as you don't add any files that aren't on the original disc, we should be able to simply place these files in with the translation patch files and they would be replaced in the process. I would need to test first to be sure, however.

I would want to make it optional, so the end user would need to put the files in the patch directory(s) as needed. This would certainly need to be optional if there were multiple versions, depending on what hardware you were playing it on and/or if there were crashing issues some may not want to deal with.

Here's hoping you get all the kinks worked out. It would be a great addition to the SF3 experience. :)
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Postby knight0fdragon » Tue Feb 02 2016 1:26pm

paul_met wrote:

The total volume of 3 scenarios of SFIII is about 880 mb and it does not fit on a normal CD.
My early build (not deluxe) fits all 3 scenarios on one CD, but it had to cut videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQmoJJO50oI).
Then I gave up this edition and moved on 2 CD version of the compilation.

Hmm, How does this work? Do we need all 3 images seperately? I believe a lot of files are duplicated between 2 and 3 (as well as pd) so I am curious if we can use that to our advantage and cut down on file size.

Does Saturn support symbolic links?

For some reason. That openning looks familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. Are you using a demo disc with altered binaries, or did you code all of that?
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby paul_met » Tue Feb 02 2016 7:33pm

legalize freedom , Soon I can provide a patch for SFIII for testing.

knight0fdragon wrote:Hmm, How does this work? Do we need all 3 images seperately? I believe a lot of files are duplicated between 2 and 3 (as well as pd) so I am curious if we can use that to our advantage and cut down on file size.

Does Saturn support symbolic links?

In the compilation all the scenarios should be placed in separate folders. I do not know whether it is possible to do the same files common to all Scenarios.

knight0fdragon wrote:For some reason. That openning looks familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. Are you using a demo disc with altered binaries, or did you code all of that?

Yes, I modified the demo disc.
paul_met

Postby knight0fdragon » Tue Feb 02 2016 10:19pm

It seems ImgBurn and create symbolic link files with an optimize option when creating ISOs, I do not know how you create the ISO, but maybe you can use that to your advantage
knight0fdragon

Shining Hero
Shining Hero

Postby legalize freedom » Wed Feb 03 2016 12:55pm

paul_met wrote:legalize freedom , Soon I can provide a patch for SFIII for testing.

Killer!

paul_met wrote:In the compilation all the scenarios should be placed in separate folders. I do not know whether it is possible to do the same files common to all Scenarios.

This would be a no go. There are some files with the same names, but different data in multiple scenarios.
legalize freedom

Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Next

Return to Shining Force III