Shining Force III: Shining Force 3 Savefile Editor - Current Ver 0.85

Last updated: 26/07/2010

Incorporating Scenarios 1, 2, 3 and the Premium Disc, all in one handy board!

Moderator: Shining Moderators

Kain

Re: Shining Force 3 Savefile Editor - Current Ver 0.85

Post by Kain »

Don't know if this program is still actively being worked on anymore but I tried to use it on a save and it corrupted it. Gave a bunch of what appeared to be Japanese lettering on some of the characters followed by a hard crash. Was hoping at the time it would have helped me by pass the second to last battle game crashing bug but instead it reverted my save back to the 5 chapter for some weird reason though ironically that also fixed the problem since apparently the source of the bug is the monsters that one of the characters tames. Anyways, it would be nice if this worked now since it would have allowed me to upgrade the level high enough so I don;t have to grind again for another week just to get back to where I was.
DarkSpartan

Post by DarkSpartan »

This looks like it could be fun. Grabbed the Source and the installer, just to see what kind of damage I can do.
MCRT
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by MCRT »

Kain wrote:Don't know if this program is still actively being worked on anymore but I tried to use it on a save and it corrupted it. Gave a bunch of what appeared to be Japanese lettering on some of the characters followed by a hard crash. Was hoping at the time it would have helped me by pass the second to last battle game crashing bug but instead it reverted my save back to the 5 chapter for some weird reason though ironically that also fixed the problem since apparently the source of the bug is the monsters that one of the characters tames. Anyways, it would be nice if this worked now since it would have allowed me to upgrade the level high enough so I don;t have to grind again for another week just to get back to where I was.
Which patch version do you use? I am pretty sure this was fixed a few versions ago.
Pappets wrote:I gave to Fiale and to the statue of elbessem the Spark spell level 3. When they cast it, it looks awesome!! Anyone tried it?
I haven't tried it, but I was also thinking about possibilities of using the editor to make enemies stronger :)
quseio

Post by quseio »

all i want is to easily use scenario 1 or 2 save files on 3 and such does this do that?
dusty422

Post by dusty422 »

Hello,

I'm having some trouble, I'm hoping someone can help. Long story short, I just started SF3 scenario 2 and I'm using someone else's complete scenario 1 data. For whatever reason, the main character of scenario 2 and several others from scenario 1 don't have their names in the story line or in battle. So I thought I'd try the save editor to put the names back in and also for other uses in the future. However, when I open the save from editor, I get an error - an unhandled exception. Then I can't select any characters from the top left of the editor or do much else, it seems.

Below is the full text from the details of the error. Can someone help? Thanks!

UPDATE - I tried running some general windows error checks and reinstalled some .net stuff. Also, it seems the way I pulled the save out had corrupted it. I started from scratch with the save with the saturn backup ram parser and things started to work. I'm writing this update so nobody spends time trying to figure out my strange situation. Thanks again and blessings upon all involved in the Shining Force 3 translation project!
legalize freedom
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by legalize freedom »

Anytime I use the save editor, I always isolate the save by saving it to system memory by itself. Then copy the save file to the editor directory to fiddle with. Saving it back to the same file and overwriting. If all goes well, I move the file back into the emulation directory and move or load it in game. I rarely have any issues.

And as always, be sure to have the latest translation version. Nothing to do with names in the save file, but I'm obligated to remind folks. :)
snake023

Post by snake023 »

BoneIdol please come back :(
Alexander_13
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Alexander_13 »

this is a great tool :thumbsup:
Red_Shine

Post by Red_Shine »

I know this utility hasn't been worked on for quite a while, but it doesn't seem to want to read my saves for editing. Are SSF saves version dependent, and do I need any other setting enabled other than "hook backup library"?

Post by DragonsOfSaturn »

Just used this to recover from where I was when I started trying to use RetroArch, which seems to have eaten my save file. My characters are a little over powered, as I edited an end game file down to the boat fights, but other than being a little stronger with a few characters, having a few better items then I should, and everyone but Medion's name in Japanese, I did notice a few other details that were a bit strange. I have a mecha suit of armor/tank thing in my HQ, like after I recruit Jane, but won't be, because Garosh and Hayward are alive. And I have an extra key for saving Rogan. Also, even though all my characters were kidnapped, before I went to the dungeon area thing to rescue them, they were all present in the shops when I went to buy things. Hm. Neat stuff. I am not sure if Aurthur is still recuitable, since he wasn't on the roof yet, but maybe I was still early? Gonna have to check on some things after I finish rescuing my team, just fighting through the courtyard now. Will see how broken this all is.
Enjoying my comments? Check out my Youtubes:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxu2AM ... /playlists" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Darksol
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Darksol »

I'm having an issue with the editor, and I'm hoping somebody out there has figured out something similar.

I've been playing on retroarch's beetle (mednafen) core. Boneidol's editor only works on SSF/Yabause saves, so I'm using an app linked earlier in this thread to convert between the file formats. I swap from my .bkr save file to a .bin, edit the values, and convert back to .bkr. This worked flawlessly for Scenario 1.

Now, it still works -- to an extent. It loads up the save just fine, showing the screen with my characters currently in the battle party, how much time I've got on the file, and where they're currently at. And I'm still able to edit Scenario 1 characters just fine.

However, the drop-down character list after Synbios' force just has Medion and 3 characters with Japanese names. Then a bunch of blank spaces. And if I click on anybody (including Medion), I get an error that says:

Code: Select all

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Value of '230' is not valid for "Value". "Value" should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
Parameter name: Value.

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Value of '230' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
Parameter name: Value
   at System.Windows.Forms.NumericUpDown.set_Value(Decimal value)
   at SF3Edit.frmMain.loadCharacter(Int32 index)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.OnSelectedIndexChanged(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ComboBox.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.9171 (WinRelRS6.050727-9100)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
ShiningForce3SaveEditor
    Assembly Version: 0.8.5.0
    Win32 Version: 0.8.5.0
    CodeBase: file:///D:/ROMs/Shining%20Force%20Junk/ShiningForce3SaveEditorVer085/ShiningForce3SaveEditor.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.9149 (WinRelRS6.050727-9100)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.9171 (WinRelRS6.050727-9100)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
Is the editor incompatible with the Translation patch? Or is there something else going on?
RikaPSO
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by RikaPSO »

Well you did say yourself that the editor only works with SSF/Yabause saves, it definitely works with all scenarios translated.

I don't know much about the editor myself, I wish the exception gave more info of what exactly "value" is specifically.
You didn't mention what scenario you are actually playing though. If I had to guess the issue the editor thinks you are using a scenario 1 save for some reason while playing scn2 or 3 (why I don't know) and trying to load a character beyond what scn1 has is out of bounds.
Darksol
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Darksol »

RikaPSO wrote: Mon Jul 03 2023 7:03pm Well you did say yourself that the editor only works with SSF/Yabause saves, it definitely works with all scenarios translated.

I don't know much about the editor myself, I wish the exception gave more info of what exactly "value" is specifically.
You didn't mention what scenario you are actually playing though. If I had to guess the issue the editor thinks you are using a scenario 1 save for some reason while playing scn2 or 3 (why I don't know) and trying to load a character beyond what scn1 has is out of bounds.
I'm currently playing through scenario 2. Which it seems to know -- again, when I go to load the save, it shows all the scenario 2 portraits and says I'm on the Seagate. Heck, even the title of the save inside the editor shows as "SFORCE 32_01" and it shows certain Scenario 2 event flags which are accurate (Stella saved, Chicken joined Medion, etc...). It's only when loading the Scenario 2 characters that the issue pops up.

And once that error runs, there's no editing the characters. All the Scn. 2 character slots have the portrait of whichever character was opened up when the error started, the stats of whichever scenario 1 character you were on prior to making the selection, and nothing can be changed.
knight0fdragon
Shining Legend
Shining Legend

Post by knight0fdragon »

Looks like a font character not in the app.
Darksol
Shining Member
Shining Member

Post by Darksol »

knight0fdragon wrote: Tue Jul 04 2023 4:12pm Looks like a font character not in the app.
That's interesting, considering I never changed any of the names.

Even more interesting is that the same setup that worked for scenario 1 and didn't for scenario 2 is now back to working in scenario 3. It even lets me mess with the scenario 2 characters, whose names now all show up properly.

I've got no idea what was going on there...