Member Posting Rules & General Information (Updated: September 16th 2010)
Note: These rules apply not only to the SFC Forums, but to member features on the main SFC site also.
- No flaming (including: racial/sexual/religious/medical slurs)
- No spamming (including: unecessary single-word posts; multiple polls in a single forum in one day)
- No trolling (inciting flames/arguments)
- No warez/piracy
- No porn/adult/crude content (be it text or other media)
- No Final Fantasy (and don't ask why)
- Try to keep swearing to a minimum/No censor bypassing
- Only one account per member and one member per account
- Discussion is encouraged - blatant arguing is not
- Take heed of what the moderators and admins say
- Note that providing links/URLs to sites which contain material considered unsuitable at SFC is as bad as posting such material/content here.
- Banning is at the discretion of the moderators or admin(s). Moogie has the final word.
Keeping the board an enjoyable place
When composing a post, try to make sure your meaning is clear, as misunderstandings can often result in bad feelings - if you're joking about something, make it clear that's the case by adding a j/k. Likewise, when reading a post, remember that you may have misunderstood it, so be sure to clarify with the poster before assuming they had ill intent.
If you have a dispute with a member, try to resolve it sensibly and peacefully before bringing it to the moderators or admin(s). It is easy for misunderstandings to occur when you're talking with someone you don't know very well. Simply taking the time to get to know them can give you a better understanding of their character and can help to prevent/resolve disputes.
If there's an argument going on, try not to get involved in it. If everyone just walks away, it shouldn't continue :) Plus, if you get involved, you're as likely to be punished as anyone else involved.
- After 3 months of membership you may reserve your avatar - this can be done in the avatar management section of your profile.
- If you are inactive at the forums for 6 months or more, your reserved avatar will be returned to general use, unless you have contacted an Admin in advance regarding your absence.
- After 6 months of membership you may have a custom title, contact an Admin to arrange this.
- You can use the EDIT button on your post instead of double-posting.
- If you want to change your account name, contact an admin.
- Can't resolve a problem? Need a post deleted/moved/locked? Contact a mod or admin.
- Threads get locked at around 200 posts to save on server space and load.
- Threads are automatically deleted after a set number of inactive days in most forums.
- Only mods/admins can lock/delete/move/split posts and threads.
- If it's not clear why your post was locked/deleted/moved/split, ask the mod who did it.
- Members cannot make sticky or announcement topics.
- Polls are only enabled in certain forums.
- No non-Shining avatars will be added, so don't even ask!
- Want to talk about Final Fantasy? Do it somewhere else, this is one RPG forum that isn't going to be filled with topics about that series. Don't like it? Vote with your feet, 'cos this rule ain't changing anytime soon!
- People who request to be made moderators/admins are unlikely to receive a response.
Revoking a ban will be at the discretion of the forum Administrators.
Thanks for reading!
- Moogie, Forum Founder
The bottom line:
As much as Moogie would like to accomodate everyone's requirements to make this forum as enjoyable as possible, she will make decisions based on what she feels is best for the boards. Ultimately, what Moogie says goes - if you don't like the rules or way things here are run, please don't spoil it for everyone by causing trouble - it's likely there are plenty of other forums out there which can meet your needs.
Forum Posting Rules - Full Descriptions (Updated: October 28th 2003)
No flaming (including: racial/sexual/religious/medical slurs)
"Flaming" basically means "insulting". So, posting something insulting directed at another member or group of members is a no-no.
Insulting people based on their race or using racist words such as a derogatory term is not acceptable here.
Insulting people based on their sexual preferences or using words such as "gay" or "fag" (etc) as derogatory terms is not acceptable here.
Insulting people or using derogatory terms based on religious beliefs is not acceptable here.
Insulting people based on their medical problems, or using words such as "spaz" (etc) is not acceptable here.
No spamming (including: unecessary single-word posts; intentional double posts; multiple polls in a single forum in one day)
Spamming basically means useless or unwanted posting, such as repeatedly making off-topic replies; posting excessively about the same thing (eg: asking people to visit your site); persistantly making one-word/very short/off-topic replies; or making multiple polls in a single forum in one day.
No trolling (inciting flames/arguments)
Trolling basically means "posting a controversial point of view with the intent of causing an argument", in this case a good example would be someone going along to one of the Shining forums and posting something like "Shining Force sucks!" - it is not only unproductive but is also likely to start an argument.
We try to keep things legal here, which means you may not provide/request links to/information about illegal media such as (but not limited to):
Pirated software; cracks/hacks/serial numbers; pirated video (such as downloadable TV episodes or movies);
Likewise, you may not link to a site that blatantly contains these kinds of materials (even if you're not posting the link for that purpose).
You may link to MP3 sites as long as they do not blatantly contain any of the above materials or anything else in violation of these rules (such as porn, FF content etc). If you link directly to an MP3 file (be sure to get permission from whoever is hosting it first) the content should not be in violation of the forum rules either (ie: no overly graphic sexual descriptions, no flaming, no excessive swearing).
No porn/adult/crude content (be it text or other media)
There are people of all ages at these forums, and as such this kind of material is strongly discouraged. If you're looking for adult/pornographic content I suggest you go elsewhere for it. Nude pictures (be they photographic or otherwise) may not be posted, nor may descriptions of sexual acts. Adult content may be acceptable in certain circumstances, for example a topic on the moral issues surrounding sex would be okay, but one about sexual positions would not! The suitability of content posted will be assessed on a case-by-case basis, as this is quite a broad area. Things like gorey photos will also not be tolerated! Crude content covers posts lacking in tact/taste - for example, a highly insensitive comment about a serious situation.
No Final Fantasy (and don't ask why)
Simple enough - passing mentions of the games are acceptable, but discussing them, or materials related to them (eg: movies, manga, merchandise etc...) is not acceptable. Likewise, posting links to FF content will not be tolerated (with very few exceptions - I understand that you might link to a forum in which someone is using an FF avatar or something, and will make a judgement call in each instance). You may not include such content or links in your signature or profile either, as this - although small - consititutes regular (each and every post!) mentions of the series.
Want to talk about Final Fantasy? Do it somewhere else, this is one RPG forum that isn't going to be filled with topics about that series. Don't like it? Vote with your feet, 'cos this rule ain't changing anytime soon!
Try to keep swearing to a minimum/no censor bypassing
Another fairly obvious one - I don't expect to see members cussing every other word on a regular basis (occasional outburts may be understandable in certain situations). If you can't put together a sentance without cussing, perhaps you could pay a visit to dictionary.com to expand your vocabulary.
We have a censor system in place which filters offensive words. Users who deliberately find ways to avoid the censors and post these words will be dealt with accordingly.
Only one account per member and one member per account
Each member may only have one account at the forums, and should not share it with anyone else. If you have a friend who wants to post, they should make their own account. If you want to change your account name, contact an Admin and they'll be happy to change it for you.
Discussion is encouraged - blatant arguing is not
If you're going to get heated about an issue, be sure to remain polite and civil. If it turns into a bashing war or flame fest, the topic will be locked and those involved will be subject to punishment. Keep it clean and respectful of those involved, please. It's not all that difficult to express an opposing viewpoint in a polite & civil way!
Take heed of what the moderators and admins say
The mods and admins are here to try to keep the peace. If we see an argument brewing, a difficult situation or a rule violtion, we'll make the members involved aware of this and try to resolve the issue. If you're asked to stop arguing, stop. If you're told that you've broken a rule, re-read the rules and remember not to do it in future. We're not here to be a pain in the arse, we're here to try to keep things running smoothly and for that we require your co-operation.